SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a 1/24 slotcar builder who makes his cockpits from scratch and this tutorial on the web I started to make my own 3D papercraft cockpits. This technique could also be used for buildings or other stuff.

1) Install Sketchup 6 (this is important, not 7 or 8) and follow some basic youtube tutorials if you are not used to Sketchup. Once you get of with Sketchup you can make very nice things in 3D, I use it very often. Model you cockpit, with correct dimensions in Sketchup.

I used very basic things, cause after you need to cut and glue all that so the more complex the design, the more work you get. The dashboard is not 90° and the console in the middle is going slightly down. Export your model als Google Earth KMZ for Google Earth V4 (also this is important).

2) Install Pepakura, this software converts your 3D model into a 2D paper so you can make a papercraft from it. Play with the software, you'll see you need to set the scale to 1, you'll see you can choose which lines should be cut, ... this could be a result:

3) Print, cut and glue:

I find the result quite good, maybe it's not so clear on the picture, but it has the same dimensions as the example-cockpit and is much lighter. It needs some black paint, the driver and fire extinguisher needs to be moved and I will post this as soon as it is ready.

If you get a bit more advanced in Sketchup you can place textures with buttons, maybe even a rounded display on the dashboard (Sketchup makes it's arcs with segments, so this can be made quite easy in paper) and you don't even have to paint it at all.

Let me know what you think about this technique.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup its a really good method and one which I have been using for a long time but WITHOUT any software.

Here is one I made a good many years ago recently pulled out of a 250 GTO and clearly showing its breakfast cereal provenance.

All you need is a ruler, a piece of card, paper etc and a craft knife. Just remember to add the tabs where it connects or you wont be able to glue it together. I went back to paper/card after finding that plasticard kept on snapping along the joints and no hope of vac forming.

Cheers

Mel

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need v6 because of compatibility with the papercraft soft. Tried with v8 but IT unfolds double.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Painted:

With driver and stuff:

In the car:

You'll get the most out of it when you use textures in your model: carbin, buttons, ...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next try for another car, this time it's textured. Will print it tomorrow with a laserprinter and post the result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts