Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that when I've got 2 SXC going (anaologue scalextric system with 20 year old power base) they slow down when compared to just running one. However, it is difficult to prove this as my co driver is only 4 and he doesn't do "constant".

Could this be happening?

If I need to beef up the power supply what is a good and cheap way of doing it that won't require too much new kit?

·
David H
3,722 Posts
QUOTE (Harry_the_Spider @ 30 Dec 2011, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could this be happening?
Yes, it probably is happening. The answer to the problem is independent power to each lane. The cheapest way to achieve that with your current set-up is to buy second-hand another powerbase and transformer cheaply on eBay, connect them in series on a straight section of your circuit, cut the under-track wires on each powerbase so that powerbase 1 powers only lane 1 and powerbase 2 powers only lane 2, and hey presto, independent power to each lane.

There are neater and better solutions, but what I've suggested is almost certainly the cheapest way and will work perfectly adequately.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Another option would be to power the track with a Scalextric Sport powerbase connected to your track by Sport to classic track convertors (assuming your track is classic), with an extra transformer plugged in each lane is powered independently.

One of these... Powerbase these... Convertor and these..... Transformer

Not as cheap as the options above and it depends whether you like the new hand throttles or not.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Harry a couple of warnings. You're running on Classic track I'm guessing from the 20 year old comment. What DJ has suggested is the correct way to go about things. You can't just pitch in another power straight to the mix and run two power bases.

The second warning is with your SCX cars. Beautiful as they are, running on independently powered lanes will probably burn the headlights out. I'm guessing that you won't want that to happen and certainly your 4 year old co-driver will be disappointed if the lights go out. There is a thread somewhere deep in the annals (there's a word to not spell wrong) of SFI with instructions for protecting the SCX lighting circuits from overload. It's simply a matter of dropping a resister into the circuit before the lighting board, but well worth doing.

Enjoy
Embs

·
David H
3,722 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 30 Dec 2011, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Harry a couple of warnings. You're running on Classic track I'm guessing from the 20 year old comment. What DJ has suggested is the correct way to go about things. You can't just pitch in another power straight to the mix and run two power bases.
Ember, you really need to read all the advice before you pitch in with your incorrect version. The trouble with a little knowledge is that incorrect knowledge gets repeated as fact, just like Chinese whispers. Two powerbases "connect them in series on a straight section of your circuit, cut the under-track wires on each powerbase so that powerbase 1 powers only lane 1 and powerbase 2 powers only lane 2" can be used if wired as I suggested, and will cost very little. DJ's method works too, but as he acknowledges may cost more. Your advice is wrong, unless, of course, you know something that nobody else knows about how two powerbases, each adapted to power only one lane by the simple expedient of cutting two wires, can conflict with each other.

And just in case you don't know, 20 year old powerbases differ from those that you appear to be familiar with.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Here's the LINK for the light protection that Ember mentions.

QUOTE unless, of course, you know something that nobody else knows
I would hazard a guess and say that connecting one of the PBs the wrong way around so that both powered lanes are connected together would do the trick

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
you could get a 14,8 ninco wall wart that has two seperate independant power supplies coming off of it. if thats to much for the lights go on ebay and look for 12v switching mode power supplies they usually come with 3-4 pair of terminals. they go from £15to£25 p&p free depending on the amps you want the motors only draw the amps they need but if your going to run s16d and the like 5amps is the absolute minimum you need and the best part is you get no sudden power surge to the other lane if your nipper has an off. ive got a ninco dual power supply if you want to try it.john

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Urgh... who would have thought that my recent dive into the world of slot cars would be such a steep learning curve / massive faff!

Right then...

Transformers. Is a C912 the same as a C990 apart from being older? Will a C192 work with a sport power base?

I'm buying resistors and a bleedin' soldering iron next week in preparation for modding the lights on 2 cars that I don't even have!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Harry

Thanks for that old-chap.

I wondered why I keep crashing every 2 straights during the NASCAR night-races.

I guess that's why the NASCAR series is around lunch-time.

Cheers

Si.

Don't worry about the electricity-bill it's still under 10p a kilowatt, I think.
My SCX NASCAR's definetly don't draw a kilowatt.
The leccy meter hardly goes round, even at FULL-THROTTLE.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you have a std. Sport PB - eg. C8217.

All you need is an extra 240v AC-AC wall wart with the correct plug.

Job done.

Si.

You could even be un-gentlemanly then, and give the nipper a 5 volt power feed.

I never lose that way !!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you have the Sport PB ( everyone keeps mentioning Classic, but you just said Sport ? ).

A decent sized 240v AC-AC wall wart is all you need.

The central hole in the AC adaptor plug is slightly BIGGER than most average wall-warts.

I think Scaley do this so it's harder to get one to fit other than their own RIDICULOSLY over-priced offering.
Then they say, "Oh, bye the way, your really need 2 !!!"
Great marketing guys at Scaley !

I believe it is a 2.5mm hole, as opposed to the more common 2.1mm hole.

Just made a new power supply.

I now have over 100 Watts, which is enough to burn-out all my car lights & probably the neighbours ceiling lamps as well.

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought standard wall warts for my Scaley Sports Power Base and drilled the plughole (dremel ofcourse) up to the needed size. So I have, besides the originals (came with the first two sets I bought) , 12 and 9 V AC supplies delivering 1 Amp for the price of standards and they perfectly fit on the Scaley SPB.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Success!

Got a new Sport power base, throttles, conversion track and power supply from the bay of thieves.

Mini Me & I razzed a couple of SCX Nascars round a 17m track using the new supply and my old C912 and it worked without any loss of power.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nice one Harry old-boy.

I knew you'd get it sorted without blowing all your neighbours bulbs & fusing the local nuke-station.

Cool looking track dude; them NASCAR's are fun WHAT !

Has that little 'n' with the blue racing socks got hold of 'Buzz-Lightyear' by any chance ?

Could be a bit 'out of scale' for NASCAR... HA HA !!

Don't worry I won't tell the rivet counters, mum's the word, honest, HA !

How's the Aston ?

Are you doing the forward mounted machine-guns ?

I've got a couple of spare Tamiya .50 cals if you're interested.

Toodle pip.

Si.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Arses. The old C912 doesn't supply the same quality of juice as the new C990. Just had to buy another C990.

...and I thought running 5 bikes was expensive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts