SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has occured to me that it is clearly much simpler to model cars that have few sponsors in number than those that have many based on the licencing issues discussed elsewhere in this forum.

That inevitably means stepping back one or even two generations.

Now the new vintage GP cars from Scalextric will have no or hardly any sponsors on and just race numbers. So presumably they have been very simple from a licencing point of view and yet they may prove to be some of Scaley's top sellers in 2004.

Yet depending on the generations some are going to say they look a bit plain and don't look like racing cars!

Times have changed!

But have they changed for the better or worse?

Remember also that manufacturers have been and are bringing us standard road cars which do sell but possibly not in the same numbers as racing cars.

I personally am not keen on slot road cars but others are.

So should manufacturers opt for the easy life and go for those plainer looking cars that have little sponsorship and maybe will be cheaper on the shelves, or for sponsor rich cars that will have a higher shelf price?

This of course could encourage manufacturers to produce more classic cars if the current day licencing issue become too troublesome and if the vintage cars prove to be popular. So current day licensors need to be reminded (and no doubt are) that there are alternatives.

However, youngsters of today are still the largest group of new slot car entrants, or are the catalyst for their parents to think about slot cars, and no doubt those youngsters do want to race cars that they see on TV, so current day race cars do have to be produced.

Its a balancing act in the end.

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It must be a VERY difficult balancing act and I am really pleased that I don't have the responsibility for making those decisions. I can't pretend that I know what the general pubic would prefer, but something I have noticed is that in spite of many full-size manufacturers introducing some of the ugliest road cars ever seen in recent years, the public, sheep like, continues to buy them in vast numbers!

As for slot cars, at a personal level, I would happily buy unembellished street cars on the sole criterion that they ran well and I liked the 'look' of them. I like the idea that a 'plain' car can so relatively easily be tarted up in my own, unique style of decor, thus ensuring that mine will not look exactly the same as any other competitor, even in a one-model race. But I suspect that I am in a minority - the lone wolf among the sheep?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Baaaaaahhh......oops, sorry, just looked at my car in the driveway...

Ignoring Tropi's obsession with sheep for a minute
, I find that the street-version slot cars do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, they'd just get painted over and decaled, so I'd actually prefer plain white shells. That's not to say that I don't want cars in race liveries, I do, but if licensing becomes the key component in slot car prices (and it may be getting there already), I'll happily take a white shell and do my own race versions. That's why decals were invented.

And yes, I know they won't release cars with bare white shells in place of the painted street versions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do not mind if a car is in a 'non-racing' livery. I would surely buy the cars I like and do a little paintjob on them - might not be perfect but it would be mine and in a color I want it to be. It would ofcourse help if the plain cars would be sligtly cheaper - or at least available for the same price - ironically enough last time a looked at a scalex white car it cost MORE than the equivalent in a racing livery... makes you wonder - what's the point...

//peter

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE makes you wonder - what's the point...

Particularly appropriate that this topic is running in parallel with the advertising/sponsorship/licence topic and that the little
wacko guy is getting a lot of well justified use in both!
What it makes me wonder . . . is the retail price of a licenced model perhaps just a teensy smidgin high based on an exaggerated, but NEVER actually stated, licence cost?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE is the retail price of a licenced model perhaps just a teensy smidgin high based on an exaggerated, but NEVER actually stated, licence cost?

In some cases, definitely. There is not always a fee involved! Well, other than the expense to pursue it in the first place. Peter's comment on the white livery actually costing as much or more makes me wonder if the manufacturers are just spreading the fees across their entire product line, perhaps adding extra on cars that may be lower volume sellers! Not necessarily a bad approach (though a bit silly on a white shell), otherwise some cars might be priced out of reach. IF the fees are generally as high, or even as common, as we think or have been led to believe. I know the fees can be high in some cases (enough that some limited production HO cars were never made because of that), but I wonder what the average really is.

In any event, if the cars were priced according to such fees, I'd buy the plain version every time and livery the thing myself. Then again... I'm a bit

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Y
u're n
t even a teensy smidgin wack
, Fergy!

I had not thought of that and it makes some sense in the same way that we pay the same to watch a crap movie as good one and the same to listen to a crap song as a good one.
I wonder when they will apply this principle to full size cars?
VW Lupo £7,000
VW Phaeton £70,000
Sell 'em all at the same price, £30k?
Yes, that makes sense!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could be argued that there are more folk who purchase slot cars for the liveries that don't race them, than purchase slot cars to race!

Plain white cars simply are not popular in the UK or even Europe. Witness the very low Ebay European prices of the "white" Vette which, even allowing for its limited supply to the UK market, just does not appear to have had the demand predicted for it on this board!

Basically, the great proportion of the UK who purchase slot cars don't like or are not keen on tinkering with slot cars, and this may well be the reverse in the Americas where slot car traditions have been more kit based.

The Americas market is somewhat different of course. Maybe street cars are aimed at our cousins on the other side of the American Channel?

Witness the new Scaley street Mustang, Camaro and Vette for 2004. Remember that the Mustang and Camaro have lights unlike the racing versions so any licence fee cost savings are offset.

Moped

·
Registered
78 Posts
baa baa I too have just looked at my car, but I seem to be in the minority as far as slots are concerned, I love the road cars and there is not enough of them.

If there was a road car of any of the cars I have owned I would buy them, wouldn't most slot heads?

I buy lots of race cars that are covered in spnsorship decals too, but my favourites are plain road cars.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE If there was a road car of any of the cars I have owned I would buy them

So would I, Slot_d!! But with only a few exceptions, I'd probably be the only one buying the car!

The street versions appeal to many, I'm sure. Which is fine. And it seems more keep coming out so there must be plenty of people who feel the same way you do.

I'm a racer, and I like to see race cars on my track, so my cars will all end up with race liveries (either prototypical or fantasy schemes).

Just another example of how this hobby (or these "toys"
) can mean different things to different people.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like them both ways, but for pure racing the unlicensed versions make sense for me. That extra $10 for a licensed Dallara won't make it any faster or less fragile.

As we say in the trade, "chrome won't get you home".

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yes an interesting topic. A certain OZ 1:1 manufacturer had wanted as much as $20 AU extra per car to do one of their racing cars, which made that whole exercise impossible.
Kinda different to another old OZ racers philosophy who simply thinks " Money isn't everything. Its nice to see the kids have fun with one of your cars."

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I like racing liveries to be done fully and authentically, so they look the same as the pictures of the cars. I also like street liveries if the car is a popular sport or street car.

I would be very dissappointed with a partially liveried car, and the only reason I can live with the F1s missing the baccy sponsorship, is that they raced like that in countries that do not permit such sponsorship. Even so, I am considering getting some decals...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Spot on Astro!
I agree - I buy street cars and race cars - whatever I like, but the model has to look the same as the prototype (no, not going into issues of scale accuracy here!). It's when they start missing or altering paint jobs to suit some nanny state
Oh, and whilst I've got me soapbox out again - why haven't they banned alcohol advertising on race cars?
Yes, I know there's no such thing as passive drinking
but as a health risk to the individual, alcohol can kill.

Just think...no more Jaegermeister, or Hasseroeder cars & trucks...

"Definition of responsible drinking...ALWAYS ENSURE THAT YOU LEAVE ENOUGH FUEL IN THE TANK FOR THE DRIVE HOME" That's right people, don't go supping the moonshine that's meant for your big block V8!! ...kyuk ...kyuk ...kyuk

Mark.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
I don't have any road livery car slots, but I don't have a problem with manufacturers producing them as long as if it generates greater interest in slots .

I must admit I prefer Classic cars with very simple liveries, i.e. numbers only.

I really enjoy repainting cars with liveries not normally available as a commercial model as I'm sure do many others on this Forum.

The Starsky and Hutch model is a prime example, I have no interest in the car as it stands but with a suitable paint job and decals it can make a fine model of a car which competed at Le Mans, but if it wasn't for the movie "spin off" I doubt very much if this car would have been produced at all.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
514 Posts
My cars are used for racing, so I have no street cars in my collection yet. This can change once I find a desireable street car though, and I certainly would buy any street car that I've owned!
It doesn't have to be an actual racing car for me, just slap some decals on the car to make it look like a cool racing car.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes, Authentic racing liveries for me ! No road cars (or then only for the sake of a relivery).

If you take Cartrix's example, you will see that their racing Hyundays sold very well while there are still plenty of their "special tuning" ones on the dealers shelves ...

So, it looks like most of us are in for great liveries, not for dull ones.

By the way, regarding the licences, I just read today that M-Sport (Malcom Wilson's team entering Ford's Focus in the world rallying championship) gets all the income from the licences of the Rally model cars ... Since their budget has been drastically cut by Ford, I can understand that they are keen to get something from the modelling manufacturers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hadn't even thought about whether or not I'd buy road cars or race cars
until this topic made me think about my buying habits. So, I just went out and looked at my entire collection of cars (100+) and, oddly, they are all race cars
(except a scratch built 55 Chevy Nomad which doesn't count 'cause it's my sons).

However, to answer Moped's Q, I just buy cars that I like. The only street car I've ever bought was a Hemi Orange Carrera 'Cuda which is now a painted, race rep Scalextric 'Cuda!

If Scalex made a Cuda and/or a Challenger in road trim I'd buy them (and paint 'em). In fact anything Mopar (pre 1974) would have me reaching for my wallet quick.

I'd REALLY like to buy white Scalex Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons to do a few other liveries (but not the one that UKSqueeza alluded too, stuff 'em, big sooks that they are...).

BUT I'd prefer to buy RTR race reps. Maybe its just my painting technique but I don't seem to be able to do a clear coat that withstands scratches like the Tampo finished jobbies. My 'Cuda looks like it raced in the Clipsal 500 (Aussie joke...)

So how about a poll to settle this?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I don't have any road cars. All race cars. I suppose having a "race track" has something to do with it. If a slot course was more geared to the old "Need For Speed" style of racing with water falls, scenery, souped-up road cars, etc. perhaps road cars would be more popular.

I would buy a road car if it was really unique (in my little mind).

It is unfortunate that licensing is causing prices to reach a level that will likely exclude younger new-comers as they would feel that it is a hobby for old guys with pay checks.

I wonder how things would go if a company produced new, realistic fictional models with actual sponsor decal sheets. Similar to the way Hot Wheels produces their own models. Unfotunately I can count on one had the "in-house" models from Hot Wheels which does not look like crap. I have no idea who convinced whom that a V8-powered toilet with an orange seat and a monster peeping out would become a collectible.

Perhaps all of the licensing nonsense may force the hobby into another form (the wierd-looking shoe things of the 60s) or force us to hand our dollars only to slot producers large enough to pay the license fees.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would probably buy a Cartrix Hyundai Tuning IF..it had those gorgeous deep dish alloy wheels fitted and not the cheap looking plastic ones!

What's wrong with a V8 powered toilet? At least it is V8 powered
Because as we all know 4 cylinder engines suck royally! Yes, even hyper quick turbo intercooled nitrous ones!

Mark.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts