SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a larger resin printer like an Elegoo Saturn that can do 192x120x200. I currently am using an FDM printer and it takes 24-32 hours to print this at a quality that is acceptable. I just wanted to check if my time/money is better spent using Resin. If someone could help me out, please message me and I will shoot the stl file over to you. I only want it sliced (not printed) and want to see what the time/cost look like.

Rectangle Wood Font Urban design Slope

·
Greg Gaub
16,589 Posts
Just change the profile in your slicer to be big enough and DIY. :)

For resin, it's all about cure time per layer, regardless of the x/y dimensions, so you could just slice anything of the same height to get a time out of it. It will surely be faster than FFF, but there's other things to consider, such as cost of material, dimensional accuracy, strength of certain parts, etc. The type of resin and whether the printer is mono or normal LCD will also have a big impact.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just a suggestion but why not break up the main unit into smaller components/individual pieces, modifying where the pieces fit together with mortise and tenon joints so they fit well, once reassembled. Then print everything on its' own. That would probably leave the main box as the largest part, which will still take quite some time, but possibly it does not have to be printed at quite as high a resolution/tolerance? The other benefit is that if any of the smaller components breaks you will only have to reprint a small piece instead of the whole thing.

Peter

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,441 Posts
I am thinking about getting a larger resin printer like an Elegoo Saturn that can do 192x120x200. I currently am using an FDM printer and it takes 24-32 hours to print this at a quality that is acceptable. I just wanted to check if my time/money is better spent using Resin. If someone could help me out, please message me and I will shoot the stl file over to you. I only want it sliced (not printed) and want to see what the time/cost look like.

View attachment 301747
As Greg said, your current slicer will already have other printers to chose, just select the profile for the printer you're thinking of using.

Failing that, just put a basic block the same height as this image in your slicer, it doesn't need to be the whole model as resin printers do one layer at a time regardless of x,y dimensions.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think the op has a slicer for a resin printer. Just has a slicer for fdm and wants help making the comparison to aid in the justification of a resin printer. I don't have a slicer for a resin printer either.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,441 Posts

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,441 Posts
One thing you could do is 'split' the file in 3DBuilder, keep both halves, and keep splitting until you have sections you're happy with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts