SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i hear that any more today i think i'll panic.
Jaw Gesture Hat Font News

I have heard we are short of petrol at some BP garages, DON'T PANIC, not enought CO2 for our beer DON'T PANIC, there are shortages of HGV drivers but DON'T PANIC supplies will get through umm, Tesco boss says some foods will be short , DON'T PANIC, Xmas could be cancellled DON'T PANIC , Turkey,s will be short but DON'T PANIC.
Boris has sold our lamb to the yanks but DON'T PANIC, he's on his way home to take charge and sort things out NOW PANIC.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was confused by Army Chinooks flying over the other day, turned out they had been enlisted to move frieght which was why I saw them on the Luton path.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
A few days of that and the cost would have given every truck driver a big pay rise, which is what the problem is all about. They have been treated badly for years and Covid has lifted the scales from many eyes. A lot of undervalued employees have seen the light during this pandemic and have found alternative employment which suits them better. Things will not return to business as usual status so we had all better adjust - especially employers.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I can never understand the logic of a lorry drive taking a single container 4/3 the length of the country when they can be loaded on a railway wagon along with a lot more and all do the same journey in the same time or quicker. There was a time when most goods went from sea port to railhead and then to the nearest railhead to the delivery point and lorries only did the last short road part. How any more daily deliveries could be done if we still used the same system. 'Progress' sometimes seem to be a backward step.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The answer to that is cost, where the Railway system is made of various privately owned lines it became to expensive to use them, I still remember the Royal Mail trains pulling into my station when post was moved that way.
It's been cheaper to run a truck fleet for a long time but now its bitten them squarely on the backside.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
The UK rail system used to carry a lot of goods, and trunk routes had four main lines to allow for that with the outer ones being dedicated to freight. As freight declined and passenger traffic increased, the outer tracks were ripped up. Today's high speed trains require long signalling blocks to allow time for them to slow down if the next section is occupied, so the result is fewer passenger trains and almost no daytime space in the system for freight.

Attempts to revive rail freight are not dead however and a new rail/road freight interchange is currently being constructed near Roade in Northamptonshire. Slot car connection - Roade was the home of the great Major Arthur Mallock, designer of the U2 line of racing cars.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
The main change from rail to road was under British Rail so I think we know who to blame
There was a huge subsidy for the Freight Transport Association (the road hauliers) at the expense of rail via the motorway building programme which was started up to help road haulage. The Minister of Transport? Ernest Marples. Main contractors for many of the motorway builds? Marples-Ridgeway. Quel surprise!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Water Sky Cloud Water resources Boat

Upwards of 100 cargo ships backed up off California port because of shortage of trucks/drivers. We’re told to go ahead and panic and buy Christmas gifts early if we can find them on the shelves now.

·
novice jazz player &
6,484 Posts
The main change from rail to road was under British Rail so I think we know who to blame. Back then I suppose diesel fuel cost almost nothing. I wonder how may miles an electric HGV will do before a recharge?
Not sure if alternative sources of energy for transportation are in scope for this thread? I will assume so…

One idea in development for future HGVs and non-electrified rail routes is to use renewable energy sources to generate hydrogen (e.g. by hydrolysis). What better source of fuel could you have than one which combusts to create nothing worse than a little water vapour :)

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,484 Posts
And umbrella?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well interesting today out there seems every garage i eventually got past had large queue's of cars, outside trying to get petrol, one was extremly jammed even had a ice cream van flogging ice cream in the queue, but don't panic chuckle.

Toy Smile Eyewear Art Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How can you 'panic buy' fuel? Are these people filling their tyres up as well as the fuel tanks?

When I run short of fuel I fill the tank up at the next (affordable....) fuel station. If that's 'panic buying' I've been doing it for almost 60 yrs!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I remember not long ago seeing someone find out the hard way to not fill Carrier bags with it in one of those vids, I've got a Cars and Coffee going on out the back of the house in the Morning so I wonder how thats going to go.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts