SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hmmm.... at that pace, I could get to work in 12 minutes instead of the customary 45! On second thought... no, I would be rotting in some prison cell awaiting long term sentencing....

Cool music, though!

·
Registered
773 Posts
...really nice! Tooked app. 30sec. for downloading and is running in Windows Media Player without problems - showing a Mercedes AMG C43 (with a swiss license tag from Basel
) on the german Autobahn near Herrenberg/Stuttgart with app 260km/h topspeed.
Nothing special if you're used to drive on highways without speedlimit

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Oh...
I was expecting something like a lap of a cool track in it...

162mph ain't all that special, especially when there is no law telling you not to.

Lotus

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Less than a month ago, I topped mine at 181MPH
(speedo needle pegged on the 160MPH speedo, speed computed from the tach without taking tire deformation in consideration) on a deserted California highway as 2AM, while the speed limit is 70MPH. You have to take SOME license with sometimes stupid laws...
My passenger was seriously uncomfortable, while the chassis was steady as a rock. The music was a lieder by Brahms sung by Janet Baker, and the engine rumble did not even cover it.

What is totally amazing is that a small "C" car like this little 3200lbs hot-rod from AMG is faster, handles and brakes better than the 2000lbs, 350HP 1964 Ferrari 275P that won the 24 hours at Le Mans that year. In 1964, the BEST sedans could barely reach 120MPH and were dangerous tanks to drive at high speeds, while there were no road tires able to sustain any speed over 100MPH for more than a few minutes without serious danger of blow-up from generated heat.

These newer cars (and latest high-perf motorcycles) make good drivers out of mediocre ones. Today it is hard to acquire a new car (from almost ANY manufacturer) that is not a safe, fast and efficient vehicle while their emissions have been reduced to MUCH less than of a cigarette.
If this is not technical progress, tell me what is.

Regards,

Dr. Pea

·
Registered
773 Posts
QUOTE (lotus03 @ 4 May 2004, 15:34)Oh...
I was expecting something like a lap of a cool track in it...

162mph ain't all that special, especially when there is no law telling you not to.

Lotus
Lotus, it's not that easy - just calculate by yourself what happens:
your speed 260km/h = 72m/sec
the lorry on the right - slower lane except UK
- is pulling over with a max speed of 80km/h = 22m/sec to overtake teh other one which is little slower.
How long is the distance to reduce your speed down to 80km/h without crashing into the lorry when maximum braking capability reaches an optimistic, never achieved 9,81m/sec^2?

They made this video in the afternoon on a public road with lots' of traffic....

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Then that's not nothing, that's irresponsible. Well done for risking the lives of countless others around you. I appluad.

Lotus

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Lotus,

Do you know the person who made the video then? sarcastically applauding his risking of other lives? Mind you if a truck pulled out on him, then I doubt the trucker would feel much of an impact up the back of his rig

Besides, I think that there must be certain countries in Europe where the road users have far better lane discipline than those in the UK. All it takes is a slightly longer look in the mirror to assess whether the approaching car closure rate means that it's doing far more than 70 mph. I never assume someone is only doing 70 in the lane to the right of me on a UK motorway, especially if I'm doing more than that myself

I've seen a fast Merc nearly rear end a Land Rover 90, all because the off-roader faild to assess the closure rate before he changed lanes to overtake a car. Oh, and because it was a Land Rover, it took him ages to complete the overtaking manoeuvre. I know, because I was behind these vehicles watching it unfold - I was going to pass the Land Rover, but I'd seen the Merc in my rear view.

Anyway, the film sounds like just another Getaway in Stockholm, Ghost Rider or the one which began it all? C'etait un Rendezvous - a great 10 minute film

No I've not accessed the autobahn footage because I too am on dial up!

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE I've seen a fast Merc nearly rear end a Land Rover 90, all because the off-roader faild to assess the closure rate before he changed lanes to overtake a car.

The first Porsche 959 sold to a customer was badly damaged in such an incident: as the car was traveling in excess of 200MPH (it tops at nearly 210), an "innocent bystander" changed lane for absolutely no reason in a small Opel. The 959 driver was very experienced and squeezed the brakes while going down the gears, but eventually he had nowhere to go so he went UNDER the Opel, flipping it in the air where it apparenly did a clean 360-1/2 and landed on its roof. The 959 was able to stop and neither the driver nor the passenger sustained injury. The driver of the Opel, a Turkish immigrant worker, his wife and six children packed inside sustained minor injuries.
The 959 was rebuilt as new by the works.

It's a tough world out there, and if I am going to put in some speed, I am not going to do it on a 2-lane authbahn, it's way too narrow and the traffic too crazy. It USED to be that people were disciplined, but since the mid 1980's and the push in Germany of the Greens for autobahn speed limits, no one seems to care anymore.
I experienced this a few years back while driving from Zurich to Darmstadt in a friend's Ferrari 400I, and TWICE we nearly rear-ended some moron who never even looked behind, while doing relatively modest speed (110MPH).
Regards,

Dr. Pea

·
Registered
256 Posts
i thought it was going to morph into a slotcar on track that would of been cool speed aint that special i do that sort of speed on my motorbikes on 70mph roads its not big or clever

now i only use race tracks its a wee bit safer

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dr. P - it's still possible to drive fast on the Autobahn - went to a 24h-slotrace in Witten last year and did the trip in app. 4h from Zürich - Witten is close to Dortmund.
These are exactly 621km from my office her to the track there - and an average speed of 155km/h is not to bad I think

My comments above about the difficulties of driving fast - I wanted to express that you're taking a lot of pesponsibility if you're going over 200km/h - not only for yourself but also for all the others around you!

I don't applaude brainless racing

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
That does give the Porsche a nice lowered stance though!

Hmmm.... wonder what the offspring will look like?

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like the Macao Grand Prix pace car slowed down too much...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Actually, cars drive on the same side in Macau and Hong Kong, same as in the UK. I think I know exactly where the photo was taken as well.........

The place is called Tsim Sai Tsui and the road is Park Lane. It is located in Kowloon which is north of Hong Kong Island, in Hong Kong obviously.

Also if I remember it right, taxis in Macau are in black. The red ones (in the picture) run all over Hong Kong. There are also green and blue ones but I won't go into that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts