SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
With my small insight into things Ukrainian, there are currently zero protests about climate change there. Similarly, there are few, if any, people there bleating about gender/hate/colour issues or any other issues that seem to be high-priority for the rest of the developed world. They're more concerned about more important issues, such as "will myself and my family still be alive tomorrow?"

A few years ago I read that someone had theorised that the proliferation of "issues" that currently dominate world news is down to those creating said issues having nothing real to worry about - such as war on their doorstep, famine, anything life-threatening, really.

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Issues to worry about have different levels of priority, the main ones being the imminent ones, for some that means worrying about being alive to wake up tomorrow.

Changing our habits is easy, make stuff that we need in such a manner that it uses as little resources as possible, buy what you need, have an equal share, easy peasy and life goes on but some are just greedy *** and their 'carbon footprint' is bigger than an ocean.

I don't like being preached to, I don't see myself as an Earth's resource waster but being brainwashed into feeling guilty so a ****load of money can be made in the name of 'saving the planet' when trillions are wasted exploring other rocks hurtling through space whilst people struggle to survive.... :confused:

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't disagree, on the other hand I clearly remember in the seventies being told that we were hurtling towards a new ice age.
That was before Millennials and 'Generation Z' roamed Earth.

...I wonder what follows 'Generation Z'...maybe that's the end of civilisation.

Registered
It appears some have made an effort to cause the majority to worry about the environment and climate since the beginning of time. Some are starting to realise it appears to have been an excuse to extract as much money from us as they think they can get away with without causing societal meltdown.
For how long this can be kept up is anyones guess but when people start to stuggle to keep themselves and family warm due to high energy costs or put food on the table due to high food costs it will not take too many more straws to break the camel's back.

As an example this has been going on for some time, here is an early caveman trying to extract funds from a member of the public.

The girl at the end has the right idea on how to deal with such matters and is definitely a keeper.

Registered
Rising prices:
As Milton Friedman told us, "Inflation Is Always and Everywhere a Monetary Phenomenon". ie a product of Government policy, or money printing to be exact. 'Shaking the Magic Money Tree', as the tabloids would have it.
We know this to be true due to number of fiat economists who write endless articles saying it's false.
The crux of the problem is that Governments and their Central Banks can print money at zero cost - while the rest of us have to spend our scarce time, scarce assts and scarce skills to earn it.

'They' can print money, but they can't print stuff.
More money chasing the same amount of stuff means the stuff costs more.

We've had bad inflation before, in the seventies and eighties, but in those days Government debt was a tiny fraction of what it is now. This time the debt burden will, I believe, bring down our system in the same it way it already has in so many other countries already.

Now, will this be before or after Global Warming has had its effects?

Hand Window Finger World Material property

Registered
The green intentions are very noble, I applaud them and think eventually technology will balance out to a significant degree.

My gripe is twofold, firstly if we as a country get net zero by whatever date the powers that be have currently pencilled in,then great, but not only at what cost, but it counts for very little in the global scheme of things if ALL other countries don't do the same.

Secondly the powers that be will not, dare not, acknowledge that post Covid many things have changed and will not go back.

WFH has seen a massive change to commuting and city footfall, office blocks are still going up, shed loads of department stores stand empty, very difficult to repurpose, National railways, footfall down to 80% , revenue down to 70%, season tickets massively down, we carry on with the concrete eating Elephant to get London to Birmingham a bit quicker.

When HS2 eventually opens and they still haven't a clue when, or what the final cost is, I'd bet a large whole nut bar that many/most of the cheaper trains will be taken off the timetable on the old line, to force more folks onto the faster trains, all in the name of freeing up capacity on the old line for freight, this will be presented as a green agenda to hide the financial aims.

Fact is post Covid you can't run a railway on 70% of revenue/80% of footfall.

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brexit changed a lot, Covid changed the rest, the world has changed and we're heading off in totally different directions. With change comes opportunities and most of us oldies will miss out as it seems to me we're now irrelevant to this new young world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts