SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 125 Posts

· John Roche
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi Gerald,

Big Birds was organised before this years Bordeaux class was announced. The event was originally just for GP cars but we included Indy to give people a chance to get another meeting out of their Bordeaux cars, also to hopefully boost entries. It should actually be pre-'66, my mistake.

Cheers

John

· Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Hi Ross,
John doesn't seem to be watching this thread at the moment.
We will of course be delighted to see you at Rockingham.

To all entrants,
Just a thought about the 1/24th scale Big Birds on Saturday.
The original idea was to race 1950's GP cars only and on the small track.
This seems to have expanded to allow 1 1/2 litre F1 cars and now Indy cars as well.
I'm not sure that it will be possible to run these bigger cars on the small track. They may be too wide.
We will look at it on the day, but may have to switch to the Raceway.
I also note from the Bordo' thread that silcone tyres are used there.
Can I just remind everyone that 'Big Birds' and 'Double Trouble' are 'Ortmann tyres only' events.
I hope that's OK with everyone.
Cheers.
Mick.

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Could you set out the timing please for the two days as I am staying some distance away. Plan to have a Merit Connaught as the Big Bird car with Vintage parts. Agreed a wide Indy car might not be so good, the roadsters are actually quite narrow in track. Not sure that anyone as ever used Silicone tyres at Bordeaux, we often use Yellow Dog urethanes which have excellent mechanical properties. Really very little different from Ortmanns.

· John Roche
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay replying. the meeting has sort of crept up on me, I hadn't realised it was so close and I've been distracted by work and other stuff. Even now I'm sneaking a look at work.

Ross, sorry I missed your post, I'll look forward to meeting you.

Mick, if you look at the first post in this thread the intention always was to run pre '66 cars, we just added Indy cars as it's the class for Bordeaux this year.

Timetable for the weekend:

Saturday 6th, Doors open 10am. Practice day then Big Birds 13.00.

Sunday 7th, doors open 8am. Concours 10.30 followed qualifying then racing

Table booked for the meal at 20.00 Saturday, if anyone ellse would like to join us please let me know.

Can I remind you that 1:32 cars need a black guide to be detected by the lap counters.

Cheers

John

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Hello John

I might be tempted to bring along my very slow vintage cars for this meeting, someone has to come last.

I am a bit confused by some of the posts, are you combining retro and vintage cars in the same races or running them separately?

David

· John Roche
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hi David,

I'm glad you can make it.

We only combine vintage & retro for the Big Birds racing. Sundays races are strictly vintage.

Big Birds was going to be a separate meeting last year but had to be cancelled due to the club move.

it was going to originally be an attempt to run retro scale 1:24 cars but we decided to include vintage as Bordeaux ran a GP class the other year, North London ran an open frame front engined class for a while and since then you've run 1.5l cars in Southend and this years Bordeaux class is for Indy cars so we included them as well.. It seemed a good way to boost entries and to alloew those who had already built cars a chance to run them again

Also many people have Revell Lotus and BRM's, Atlas Coopers and BRM's, Cox Ferraris and guess what, BRM's that can be run.

We'll see what sort of response we gwt then decide where t go with it next year.

I'm off to bed now.

Cheers

John

· John Roche
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
If anyone is planning on using an Atlas Cooper body for the Big Birds race please be aware that they are extremely brittle and break easily. just dont ask how I know

cheers

John

· David Farrow
1,272 Posts
Hi Guys,

Can you please not use white or clear guides, even with a permenant marker you will still have lap counting problems. A guide mounted in a solid colour - it doesn't have to be black is much, much better.
After all it's your laps that will be being counted. I have tried the permenant marker on a guide and it's not the fix you would think it would be. Oddly enough though we dont have any problem with pin guides.
This is not a problem peculiar to Rockingham, many tracks that use the slot master system have the same requirements,

See you all there

David Farrow

· Phil Smith
2,735 Posts
I was putting a 1/24 Russkit car together for the weekend and had this Shelby King Cobra T10 body to use.
But does anyone think it may be too wide, I.e. a handling body?

the car was very wide as can be seen from this picture

I'm just not sure,
it works out at 83mm across the rear arches.

· Registered
4,084 Posts
Hi Phil.
I suppose you have already done an internet trawl to see if you can get the real 1.1 prototypes dimensions?
83 mm works out at just over 6'6''inch,...sounds generous for what was in its original form quite a small car.
The photo does not give you much idea, but it looks wide in it!
I am sure the guys won't mark you to harshly if it is a bit wide!!
Cheers Bill.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.