SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. Can anyone tell me why my cars run slower by nearly a second when i use the ssdc compared to the standard C7042 unit? I have got the power set to 100% on both the fuel effect and the cars power in ssdc but still they are slower. I have a long but fast layout with a 6 metre main straight and the performance difference is noticeable. I do have 2 power supplies and im currently only running 2 cars at a time. Any ideas?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Interesting ...... it may well be due to your PC. Have you measured any laps using the APB standalone then ones with SSDC connected up?

What other software do you have running on your PC; eg, anti-virus, firewall, spybot checkers, screen-savers? What is the spec of you machine, specifically how much disk space (including free space) and memory?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I have had the same thing but with SSDC and PBProSH.

And I was using a high spec. desk top computer (Quad core, 1TB HD, 8GB RAM).

I still haven't figured out why it was down on power with SSDC connected!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not very good with computers but i have found some info, 3gb of ram, 86gb of 122gb free space on a Asus laptop with windows 7 64bit. I only bought this laptop for ssdc and have only downloaded software for it. Does that help? Yes ive run laps with ssdc hooked up and get 9.3secs out of my Peugeot le mans, go back to just using the C7042 and i'm getting 8.4secs.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Are you sure you have fuel set properly? As I understand it SSDC makes cars with a full fuel load run slower and they speed up as fuel depletes.

Perhaps you need to disable fuel rather than set fuel load at 100%.

Either that or set fuel at 20% and see whether that makes a difference to speed - that will prove it one way or the other.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Nigehor perhaps you should consider a PM to Andy Wallace about this thread (Andy is chief architect of SSDC).

ss67 - I need to dig into SSDC further. I am wondering whether SSDC assigns 100% fuel load performance levels to a car even if it has fuel load switched off? It could be that the default is picked up and turning off fuel simply tells SSDC not to bother simulating fuel load reduction.

It's a long shot but maybe you could try setting the fuel load default to nearly empty then disabling fuel and see if that makes a difference.

If this is the case we could suggest to Andy that he changes his programming so that when fuel is disabled the software assumed a default of zero fuel load.

I would try it to test my theory but my track is in boxes in the moment because I am building the baseboards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My cable from Pc to Powerbase is 5 metres long as i have a large circuit, i want to keep the Laptop away from frantic track calls and general abuse! Would this have any influence? I will try dropping the size of fuel tank for race start to 30%. So far i have been unable to get the 'disable fuel burn' and 'pace cars in free practice' buttons to do anything at all. Will experiment further and post results, thanks guys!

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
might be going off on a tangent here but wich way is the power fed down the usb cable.???

If the pb is supplying a current to the laptop then there would be a small ??? Volt drop at the pb and this would explain the small difference in laptimes.

If however the pb takes current from the usb from the laptop then there should be no noticable difference..

Rikorockets usb cables have some fancy electronics in the usb end so maybe he will be able to answer this one for us.???

Personally i have not noticed this issue but i only ever run with ssdc connected.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Nigehor ...... so far so good. The PC should be OK with that memory and free disk space. A 5m cable is OK otherwise RichG or Riko would not sell them.

Next thing is software ..... to check what is running in the background you will need to enter "Task Manager". Usually you give the PC the 3-fingered salute, ie, press and hold down Ctrl and Alt and strike the Del key. A pop-up will pop up and then you click on "Task manager". Two things to look at are "Applications"; this will tell you what programs are running, and "Processes" which will tell you about what resources various things are using. The CPU column will tell you as a %age what is actually hogging the system. This changes periodically to observe it for a while.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
With the technology involved you can have a cable that is up to a mile long, so 5m is chicken feed.
The power base is working from signals down the cable driven by SSDC, nothing associated with PC speed or memory could have the effect described, if the PC was not up to it you would get the right speed but throttle response would be lousy.
So what is it?

I would suspect it is the throttle calibration, the C7042 method is different to the way that SSDC does it on the fly.
Try different throttles. There were some particularly bad ones out at the start and some of those are probably still circulating as "new" stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I managed to run a race with fuel burn off and that did make a difference although there is still a speed difference. I have been trying (without any success at all) to run variable pace cars and i notice in the replay graph that the throttle values only hit 90%. I have tried all three of my controllers, all with the same result. Having now used this software for a week or so ive noticed that at the end of some races the cars just take off at full pelt with no throttle applied, pace cars dont work fixed or variable round my track and the power is down on what the C7042 can do. I think ive wasted a lot of money on Laptop + Cable and Software.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks 'zipp', you're right. I guess i'm just getting impatient with it. Now where are my cigarettes! Thanks to everyone who's replied.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
You mention the runaways at the end of a race. Does this happen after a lane-change track piece? Do you know what type of chips are in the cars??

Cheers - Greg

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
i believe Andy is aware of the run aways at race end,it is down to wich settings you use for race end.

From memory selecting all cars finish at last lap will see the first place car get an unwanted power boost after crossing the start finish line.

Altering the settings to stop this bug will mean that any other car's that are behind the leader will stop on track as soon as the lead car passes over the pb,wich can lead to collecting cars from hard to reach places.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Is there anyone out there who can replicate what Bigbird is referring to with the runaway at the end of a race?

Is there anyone out there who can replicate the same problem but using a car with a v3.3 InCar-PRO flashed scaley chip??

The reason I ask is that MIH believes that runaways are due to the dual-modality of the scaley chips. In v3.3 he removed the analogue compatibility from his firmware. I know Bigbird has one of these chips but I'm not sure that he still has a functioning track.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
pretty sure this has cropped up in the ssdv V5 thread and i did send Andy a pm about it.

I do not think it is chip related Greg and is a software bug as the cars i was using when this happened were all revG spec dpr cars.

I can not remember the whole set of preferences for race end but altering a few of them did get rid of the bug but left me with settings i was unhappy with...

And yes i do happen to have a mih flashed chip or two.
and yes again to having no track to test on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts