Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any drag racers still active out there? I remember...late sixties it must have been (how many people can honestly say that?) there used to be a lot of it about. We had great fun making piano-wire rail dragsters and funny cars with chopped-up Airfix saloon bodies, then spearing them into the skirting boards. We set up a great strip at our school summer fete (!) once, and had a 'run what you brung' event. Blimey... in those days people really would turn up at school fetes with cars expecting there to be some sort of track to race on. If I'm right, we had an isolated run-off with reversed polarity to stop the runaways. Anyway- clubs used to have drag strips beside or behind the main circuit... do they still? I don't get out much myself.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
CricCrac in Spain also has a great little drag strip tucked under their display cabinet.

Until recently, I assumed it was more of an American thing but I am wrong ehh? MUST try it one day, are there set rules or do they differ from place to place? It occurs to me often when I read threads about the 60's heydays, that there MUST have been widely adopted rules - do these still exist? could they stay useable today?

I will try and dig out the pics I posted over on SCI awhile back of the Maisto toy Dragster that Rico from Slotters Paradise converted to a slot car, complete with lifting front wheels on take off

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Doesn't Mope drag up to race? I'm thinking of "THAT" photo that was posted on SCI

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes... I'm pretty sure there was a drag slot racing association- a subdivision of the ECRA? with a complete set of rules and everything. My experience of it was just a bit of fun with mates (honest officer), but there were people who got serious with it. I seem to remember reports of meetings in Model Cars from time to time. But you could really let your hair down with scratchbuilt dragsters....

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Theres a report about the "Drag Nationals" in the July 1969 issue of Model Cars.
Some of the top slot racers of the time were at this meeting and several different classes from Production through to Top Eliminator were run with a wide veriaty of scratch built cars running all sorts of different types of motors/winds.
Not too sure about standardise rules though, the report says that a North London shop [Rayken Models in Winchmore Hill] were to organise an event but it got cancelled due to lack of interest and one reason given was that the entrants were put off by the strange system of classes and the impounding of cars after qualifying!
The article does mention the B.D.H.R.A who were the governing body for drag racing in the UK at the time , and it also says that they were pretty ineffectual as they could not get all the interested clubs/raceways on board and run to there one set of rules.
[oneofwos]

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
We have been thinking of holding a drag race at Preston this year if any ones intrested let me know.
Graham

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
See look! There it is more confirmation, Int thought we were talking bout racers in drag not drag racers! Now he`s out the closet proper!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ahh.. I need that emoticon again with the 2 fingers

do we have one on here? Now, I am going to get these vids up if it kills me!! grr!

Jonny, I seriously hope you do come to wrexham.. we I mean I'll show ya how to drive.. PROPERLY

rwd and lots of power.. I thinks I should use my proslot 911 eh 3.9 whaddya think?

Rob.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
It's still quite popular in the USA. ProSlot (USA), Koford and Camen all make motors specially for drag racing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts