Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Jaguar fan. No denying it, I just like the cars and admire the racing heritage. I will undoubtedly buy myself one of the new Revell lightweight E Types to sit alongside the D Type, XK120, XJR8, and F1 car.

We have been promised some other Jags in the past, notably waiting for the Top Slot C Type still after about 18 months, but there are many that have not been covered.

I did research the XJS thoroughly and supplied pictures, dimensions, historical facts. etc etc to a major slot manufacturer last year when they were looking for a classic to produce, but the project is currently on hold. This car has a much better competition history than most people realise, and has never been available in 1/32 scale (unless you know differently......). The car has been raced AND rallied (yes, true, Tom Walkinshaw himself took one out on a rally in Scotland many years ago) and has won championships or races in most continents. Most famous victories include Spa 24 Hours, Bathurst, USA Trans Am, and European Championship.

Doesanyone else get a buzz from Jags, and what cars would you like to have as a slot........?

PS......another (yawn) advert, pictures of the Revell E Types at MRE...........

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think Jaguar cars are an integral part of ANY form of motorsport including 1:32 scale

I do however like the more modern Jags and would like to see an XK8, but I have a soft spot for the XJS thanks to watching the Saint (Ian Ogilvy version) many years ago and seeing the TWR XJS's on TV. Another XJS which IMHO deserves to be modelled is the Lister XJS.....Group C brakes, Compomotive split rims, 7 litre V12, spoilers, scoops and wings!

Mark.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE Doesanyone else get a buzz from Jags

Those Lucas electrics were a bugger on older cars!

Seriously, I'd like to see a slot version of the TWR Group A XJS (and the Rover Vitesse while they are at it) but I suspect we never will.

I'd love a good Metro 6R4. Wonder what it would take to convince SCX it would be the perfect car to do after the newly announced Intergrali. Loads of liveries and nothing looks quite like it.

I'd like to see Japanese GT, Supras most of all, but also I'd love Fly or Vanquish to make one of these..

Toyota & Can Am car, but never raced.

And for a laugh how about Lady Penelope's six-wheeled Pink Roller?

Scott

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 3 Feb 2004, 01:16 AM)Those Lucas electrics were a bugger on older cars!

Ah yes..Lucas, Prince of Darkness!

Lucas once manufactured a vacuum cleaner - it was the only product of theirs which didn't suck!

Other Lucas inventions:-
The first intermittent windscreen wipers
Self-dipping headlamps

Labelling of a Lucas 3 position switch
Smoke, Smoulder, Ignite

Mark.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
When I first started work at Austin Rover you could get a XJS for just £18 per month on the company car lease scheme because they couldn't give them away.

That was 1984. Just a few years later it had become an unobtainable aspirational dream. No doubt TWR took all the credit.

Scott

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Oh the good old days of British industry. A mate of mine used to work at Longbridge and told me the sleeping bag stories quite often, with a certain amount of pride too

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jonnys, you can't assume everyone here has heard "the sleeping bag stories". Share please, my dear chap !

And why Ninco hasn't added a Jag Mark II to their Classic cars line-up, especially one in rally trim for say the 1960 Alpine cup, is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have been blabbering to anyone who will listen about Lotus 11's & my deepest desire for Scaley, Ninco, Carrera or anybody really to do a real good one. Acurate in scale & the whole bit. There is one guy working on a 15 & there is a lexan body (although it's about 1/2" too long), but nothing on the ready to run market. I will stick my neck out & say that if someone was to do a good one it would sell extrodinarilly well. When you think of how many were made & how prolific they are even today, add in the number of Westfield 11's & you get an almost limitless variety of liveries. The vast selection of liveries & the fact that no one has turned out a decent slot of one should be all the incentive they should need to do it!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Don't Airfix make an XJS static kit? Excellent for conversion! Unless I'm getting my Jags hopelessly mixed up. I wish they'd give 'em names instead of those confusing letters.

And by the way, Scott, Vic and Tim at West Hamley made a Lady Penelope Roller out of a Vintage SCX 6-wheel Tyrell. About the last thing they ever did, tragically...

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Scott, in case you haven't seen it, here's a great website on the history of the Toyota-7s.

Gary, I still have the beautiful resin Jaguar XJ13 that you built for me about 15 years ago! I'll take some photo's and post them over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Russell - I still have the mould for that XJ13 somewhere......

Hasegawa make the XJS in 1/24 scale, so we have larger and small models but nothing in 1/32..........boo hoo !

I'll just have to work harder on the manufacturer who asked for the details, it may still appear yet............

PS. I was a contract model maker to TWR for a couple of years around 1990, I made a model of every works XJS chassis for them, with all the different liveries. Went on to do the XJR V12 cars as well, but never got around to the turbo cars or the XJR14. Tom had the models in showcases at Kidlington, with his favourites in the motorhome. A couple ended up at Valparaiso, and I was lucky enough to see them on a factory visit invited by Tony Dowe.

Enough name dropping.....back to the little stuff now !!

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
The Toyota Group-7 indeed raced at Suzuka and inflicted a surprise defeat to the visiting Porsche 917 of Jo Siffert and others. It was fitted with a Yamaha-tuned Chevrolet V8 with Lucas injection.

Regards,

Philippe

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Philippe,
There were many variations on the Toyota 7 theme - Russell's link will show you most of not all of them. The car pictured was the last, twin-turbo version destined for the real Can Am and Le Mans. Sadly, fatal accidents in testing and rule changes meant it never raced.

I have a ton -literally - of posters of this image left over from last year's Goodwood. Want one? Simply e-mail or PM me your postal address.

I'll throw in a Panis/da Matta poster too.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jaguar fan? Me to! My dad work there from 82 to 94, and I used to go and watch the TWR XJ-Ss as Silverstone - Fabulous! Every time I see Adrian Norman I pester him about making:

TWR XJS (I preferred the green stripe on white livery myself, but I'd take both!)

Broadspeed XJ-12 5.3 coupe - now that's one mean looking racing car! A perfect foil to the Fly BMW 3.5 CSL.

It'd also be nice to have a few Rover Vitesse European Touring Cars to race against the XJS.

At the last NSCC meeting I wasn't the only one mentioning racing Jaguars, so here's hoping!

Last summer Monarch lines mentioned someone working on an XJ-13. I saw one (the only one?) at Jaguar's Whitley plant once... that has got to be the most beautiful Jaguar ever made...

G

·
I would love a XJ13 I agree one of the most beautiful cars ever made, So let get a company to make a really great slot car version of one. I can ask Slot Classic the worst they can do is say no.

RR

1 - 20 of 37 Posts