SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the DS Electronics Pocket Checker Pro? I would love to get a Kelvin Lights Test Bench. But, it's a little too pricey for me right now. The Pocket Checker has what I'm looking for at the moment.

Photo courtesy of Get Slotted

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I have it and have tested it LS, I proof read the English translation of the Instructions for them and am just awaiting the chrono adaptor piece which isn't ready yet, to do a review.
It is much improved on the first model and a helpful trackside /set up tool.

Basically, without explaining the whole thing, here are the basic tech specs for the unit:

QUOTE Technical data:

This device checks and verifies GAUSS from motors and magnets (magnet power)
This device checks and verifies R.P.M. from motors or axles (rotations per minute)
This device has ten memories, 5 for GAUSS measurements and 5 for R.P.M readings.
GAUSS data can be measured from 1 to 999*
R.P.M can be measured from 1 to 50,000
Timing can be accurately measured between two points **
LCD display (20 digit)
Sizes: length 10cm, width 5cm and height 2.5cm
The Unit needs a 9 Volt battery. (Not included).

*After 1000 GAUS, reading may be NOT correct. We recommend avoiding the measurement of neodymium magnets.
**An additional device is required for this function (The device will be available shortly).

I think it would be a worthwhile purchase for the club/home racer who likes to tune and fiddle but does not see the need or like the price of the Kelvin Light testbench.

Pocket Checker sets you back around € 95 as compared to the Test bench at around € 370

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
If its as good as the rest of the ds range then Id aviod it like the plague my ds lap counter has been a very unreliable and if it hadnt been for sean out of the goodness of his heart changing the thing 3 times in the last 12 months I think Id have thrown it in the bin ,sorry for the rant but if the guys at ds had bothered to reply to my email requesting info on the damn thing I wouldnt be slagging them off now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm... Contrasts from two people who I regard highly. Any more input from others? Swiss, when will the attachment be available for measuring Neo-mags?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I am not sure on the timing but will ask today and get back when I have an answer (If they even know yet).

I am not defending D.S here as Graham definately has quality issues and is on the third unit, but I think the two products talked about (Checker and Timing System) are far apart usage wise and a problem with a timing system should not overlap into a pocket checker.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Just to clarify my winge a little , the DS system when working properly does evrything a simple timing system should ,but it is the reliability factor that worrys me ,perhaps the pocket checker will not suffer from the component failures I have experienced in my timing system .The problems I have had on all three has been memory failure (perhaps DS had the same and just forgot to reply).I dont know if the pocket checker uses the same memory recall function as the DS 200 pro but if it does I would be wary about where I stored it as I am convinced the reason my units have failed is that the memory ic will not function correctly in a low temperature enviroment details of which I also emailed to DS.
Sorry to have highjacked the thread guys I'll put my soap box away now

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grahm I can understand your frustration.

Swiss, how is power supplied to the motor? Via the Checker itself or more likely an outside source such as your track.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Outside source as you guessed LS.
A powered test platform or bars to raise the rear from the track a little. You can also use crocodile clips mounted to a 12 V battery or similar and then sit it on a mounting plate. I will try and take a pic to show what I mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts