SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm using a lightbridge for my lapcounter system. Right now it's just an ugly bunch of wires, ligths and...well it's not looking good.

I would like to install the whole thing in a model of the Dunlop bridge from Le Mans. My plan is to build a model in wood but I need the decals (english is not my first language so I don't know if decals is actually the right word, but basically I mean the graphics on the side).

Does anyone know a place where I can get it?? for instance from a website. Maybe a bit like the buildings you can download from carrera4fun.de.

Thanks

Morten

·
Registered
238 Posts
Scalextric produce a Dunlop bridge in plastic. Whilst this may not in itself be able to house the wiring, the actual tyre bits (the sides) can be removed and then placed on the sides of your wooden bridge.....just an idea.

I don't know of anywhere that makes dunlop bridge sized decals (yes it is the right word) but you could maybe get the logo to downlaod and make your own

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did this on my layout. The Scalex Dunlop bridge lends itself for the purpose because you can pop the plastic side off and hide the wires underneath. I mounted a couple of small bulbs inside plastic rings glued to the underside of the bridge. There are a couple of photos of my layout in another thread on here (a few posts further down at the time of writing) and you can see the light shining on the track. I could probably rustle up a better photo if it would help.

The only caveat is that it reduces your height under the bridge so if you race those Fly trucks it probably wouldn't work.

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....good idea with the Scalex bridge, but I want my bridge to be bigger and with the authentic decals, so now I'm working on making my own decals. It will take me some time but I will of course show you the result.
Here's what I've been working on tonight

I took this picture:

And with some foolin' around in photoshop I did this:

So this is one side that I can propably use for both sides and then there is the roof. I don't remember what it looks like but I guess the tyregraphics goes all the way around so it still need some tweaking in PS

My plan is to print the finished file on a high quality laserprinter and then glue to the sides of the woodthingy I will build. Don't know if it will work

Morten

·
Registered
316 Posts
That looks gr8.....

Would make an awesome flyover shroud too....

I could do it - but the tread pattern is broken on the right..... just need to flip that in photoshop to keep the tread pattern consistant....

You could laminate the whole thing - make it stronger... and easier to stick to the required surface...

Good job

Cools

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Morten, I think you'll find that on most bridges of this sort that the graphics are present only on the sides and that the top is either open or has a flat roof over the walkway area - the sides, in effect, protrude far above the rest of the bridge.

Looking forward to seeing the finished item!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you for the nice words
I will show you the result, but it will take while

CoolScientist you're right about the tread pattern! I will work on it. Good idea about the lamination I will try that.

Fergy you're right too I think, I found a picture where it looks like the roof is just the dark grey color of the top of the "tyre". Makes my job easier

Morten

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Morten,

On the picture at www.slotrace.dk you can actually see that the bridge is "open" on the top.

You can also see something that looks like barbwire, and some lightpoles in each end of the bridge!

That picture migth help you!

Morten

BTW if you are going to flip the threadpattern, would you post a new picture?
Because i think i want to make bridge like that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all!!...so now I've been doing some work on the decals again. Fixed the tread pattern and done the other side. I know its not there anymore but I wanted the "La Passion Du Futur" to be there

I had to change the height/width ratio a bit or the damned thing would be very very wide to get the height I need....so it's a bit higher than the original (in scale that is
)

I haven't done the roof since as some of you have pointed out either there is no roof or it doesnt have any decals. Ive walked over it many times myself, but dont remember the roof.

I havent tried printing it in high quality yet, since I cannot do it with my own printer. But I've printed some scaled down versions and they look pretty good (and actually built a cardboard model of the model
). I might have to do some additional tweaking when I see the HiQ prints.

My plan is to upload the finished project somewhere so you guys can build it if you like.

Here is a picture of where I am so far:

Tell me what you think!!

Morten

·
Registered
773 Posts
EXCELLENT!!!
Is there any chance that you're offering the possibility to download a bigger file? Somthing I can take to one of the digital printshops so they print it in a size I might use for my 4-lane Carrera - minimum width under the bridge mus be 40cm...
Anyway - you progressed further than I did 2 years ago!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I agree with Thomas - excellent!
But yes, what size is the original image that you are working from?
I'd love to get a copy of the full image for use on my next track!

Great stuff, Morten!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys!

I'm glad you like it..its great fun to do.

The picture in my post is just a scaled down jpeg-picture of the original file. If you drop me an email I will send you the original pdf.file. The measure is made for my 2-lane Ninco track so the height of the "gap" under the bridge is 6,56 cm and the width is 29,24 cm wich leaves some room for curbes an barriers.

Thomas if you want 40 cm width its going to be a large bridge. But see if you can a print shop to scale it up for...otherwise get back to me and I'll see what I can do

Just promise me that you will post some picture of your bridges!!!

Regards

Morten

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
I've been building the bridge and only needs to put the paper on the construction!
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures under the development of the construction, but I will take pictures of the bridge, when it's done!!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts