SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

here are the first pictures of a banked oval I'm trying to build...

And when it all goes to plan it might result in something like this:

Routing will start next week...

Regards,

Max.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
I've seen your lay out before and have been thinking a lot about this oval. But I really would consider leaving out the inner lane on one side of the track. OR make it run closer to the middle one. otherwise its so tempting to just stay in the inner lane.
and maybe one LaneChange in the middle of the outer straight.

I'll be waitching this one!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very interesting. As said by FZS but also consider being able to run a racing line from the outside lane to the inner on the corners and then back out to outside (if possible). How are you doing the LC's? Well done so far & I will be watching as well. FS

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... ,

the general idea is to run the track as BLST = Best Lane Slot Track...

In this case the best lane is the inside lane on corners and the middle track on the straights - the electronics will force the car in the rear off the best lane so it can pass the car in front - if it's fast enough...

See here how it should/could work...
(I would like to thank David for giving me the idea in the first place - not being able to buy what I want to have made me try to do it my own way...)

Let me state I'm not sure it'll work right away but I'm sure gonna try...

Max.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
This guy should have some sort of award!
That is a huge leap foward.

This is just an idea but how about a pendulum switch so that when you lean the controller to the left the car switches to left lane and vice versa with default to BLST. Blimey, add this to PB Pro and what have you got!

Annual Slotforum Awards anybody?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 6 Sep 2007, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is just an idea but how about a pendulum switch so that when you lean the controller to the left the car switches to left lane and vice versa with default to BLST. Blimey, add this to PB Pro and what have you got!

Graham,

great idea...
- will add it to my "what next" list...

And yes - David Caille (BLST on this forum) should get an award...

Max

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jon,

the size of the track is 1.2 x 2.4 mtr. at this moment but is should be easy to make the straights longer by adding any length I want.

It's also possible to add a short straight between corners 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4 - like Indy I guess.

It's just a test to see if this best lane concept will work with an oval - I like Nascar cars a lot...

Max.

ps - routing will start next wednesday-evening...

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Hi Max

will keep my eye on this Topic
you have some very interesting ideas for Routed tracks

looking forward seeing it routed,will be something original
keep up the good work
[groetjes] Greetings

Jaak

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

we did some routing this evening...

Here's the entry into turn 1 (or turn 3)

and here's turn 2 (or turn 4)

We decided to route the turns for 3 tracks after all - testing will show if we're gonna use 2 or 3 tracks in the future...
(or to use the outside track as an escape road - with less power...)

Next step: making the switches - this will be fun...

Max

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Nice start to the work with good clean slots. Interesting radial pivot, can you give us the run down on how it works? I used the rods when I routed a circuit. Maybe with the banking already created you need a different approach.

G

·
Great idea!!

Just for the record: the auto-switched digital track with collision detection and ideal racing line has been build bij Slotfire. They showed it last year in Nurnberg as the "Racing Line". Currently Rolf has published the hardware on his website, it is commercialy available although it's not cheap since he build it completely by himself. Just take a look at his website, http://www.slotfire.de .

Ps I have a normal Slotfire and get emails from Slotfire, I am not related to Rolf Schneidereit in any way!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 20 Sep 2007, 13:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice start to the work with good clean slots. Interesting radial pivot, can you give us the run down on how it works? I used the rods when I routed a circuit. Maybe with the banking already created you need a different approach.

Graham,

the standard bottom of the router was too large for our purpose - due to the banking and the flat infield (and the banking isn't the same on the corners and the straights...
) - so we made a second bottom of some plastic sheet and made it long enough to double as a radial pivot. I'll take some pictures of it next time around...

Max

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some pictures of the routing tool we used - it's just some pieces of plastic sheet with an aluminium insert screwed to the router's footplate - it's flexible and has a small footprint - works great on already made banking...

Don't those cars look great on our banked oval...

Next steps: a coat of paint and some tape to see how it runs - with the cars running we can start building and testing the switches...

Max

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Hi

yes they do look very well there, would love to See a video of them taking a corner at the highest speed possible

you probably will need some impressive fencing to keep the cars from not flying of the track in a corner at high speed.
think it would be very nice to drive,with the lane changers!

cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

as you can see the track has been painted and the copper tape is being laid...

We'll be ready to start racing in a couple of days - can't wait to see how it runs...

First race: round 1 of the Caterham Cup...

Max

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.