SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A railway modeller has had cause to question the amount of duty payable on goods shipped from the USA and has had a shocking reply from Customs and Excise. Slot cars no doubt fall into the same catagory as model trains so it is relevent. The total charges levied in the future as a result of a trade dispute with the USA (our allies???? ) will be 17% and then a further 17.5% and all this on the value of the goods including shipping charges and any insurance!!!

And this applies to gifts!

What a total rip off.

"I recently had cause to contact Customs & Excise to enquire about why I was charged what seemed to me to be a large amount of duty on some locos imported from the US. I've attached a copy of their reply.

Most goods imported into the UK from a country outside the EU are liable to customs duty and VAT charges. These charges must be paid whether you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift, the goods are new or used or whether the goods are for your private use or for sale.

The rate of customs duty payable depends upon the tariff classification and commodity code applicable to the particular goods. Model railway goods are most probably classified under tariff heading 9503. To obtain the commodity code applicable to your goods, please contact the Tariff Classification Service on tel 01702 366077 (Monday-Friday 0830-1700).

Most goods classified under 9503 are free of customs duty. However, an ongoing trade dispute between the EU and the USA has resulted in the introduction of Council Regulation (EC) No 2193/2003 which establishes additional customs duties on imports of certain products originating in the USA. This Regulation imposed an additional duty of 5% from 1 March 2004 rising by 1% for each month culminating in a final rate of 17% in March 2005. Twenty two of the thirty two commodity codes under tariff heading 9503 are subject to this additional duty. To confirm whether or not the commodity code applicable to your goods is included in the Regulation, please contact the National Advice Service on tel 0845 010 9000 (Monday-Friday 0800-2000).

Model railway goods are subject to VAT at the standard rate of 17.5%.

Customs duty is charged on the customs value of the goods. This value consists of the cost of the goods plus the cost of shipment to the UK plus any insurance costs connected with shipment. VAT is charged on the customs value plus the duty.

I trust that the above is helpful to you.

Regards

Bernard Stather, H M Customs & Excise"

Moped

(This information appears at Model Railway Express Magazine)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
This is the reason why cars imported from countries outside the EU eg America or Australia are more expensive in the UK than the country of origin. If you are an individual purchasing from abroad, you may be lucky if the parcel is small with a low declared value, larger parcels will almost certainly be stopped and charged for. Depending on which carrier is used they may also charge for handling & insurance!
Sean

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The bloody cheek!!
Someone needs to remind the good ol' US of A that they currently enjoy the use of a 600-mile long stationary aircraft carrier parked just off Europe i.e the UK!!

Also if it wasn't for the Mayflower ship sent across all those years ago, hten most of the colonials wouldn't be there!!

Native American Indian Slot Cars

Mark.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Sure does Fergy and the taxes (IF I read this correctly) are being levied in the UK BY the Brits to try and limit USA imports and make them tow the line so lets not turn this into a race war huh?

We already have Native American Indian Slot cars anyway don't we?

They are called Mustangs!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bottom line is if you are a Euro (not just a Brit) ultimately be prepared for a bill from Customs and Excise (or whatever they are called across Europe) in excess of 40% of the retail price of goods if those goods are purchased from the USA.

What a world trade rip off!

Moped

·
Registered
800 Posts
When I send a car to you for the small car proxy race, how should it be declared? I was just going to call it a gift and value it at a dollar or something like that. Perhaps I should be up front with the shipper and tell them it's on loan

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE When I send a car to you for the small car proxy race, how should it be declared? I was just going to call it a gift and value it at a dollar or something like that. Perhaps I should be up front with the shipper and tell them it's on loan

Good question! does anyone know anyone in Customs who could answer this question of goods being sent to other Countries for a short duration and then returned?

As for Bought goods from shop or private, you should just be honest! It really isn't worth the hassle if Customs decide to check up and they do AND they DO check Ebay and are more than a little aware of what goes on there.

Not only will you risk losing the goods but then you still have to pay the costs and the tax AND the fine that you BOTH (seller and buyer) stand to get.

Your choice but you should think about it and definately NOT start a discussion here on how to get past these things

Sorry this isn't Swissracer in boring fart mode it is me in sensible mode.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
I still have never paid any Duty, Vat, Post Office Handling fee whathaveyou on any item from Prof Motor, EJ's, Slot Car Heros, Resilient Resins etc, and I buy a fair bit fom them.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
773 Posts
...I had to pay every time - it does not matter who shipped teh goods - -but custom officers in Switzerland seem to check any of my parcels

The minimum amount is 27CHF they have charged just for inspection costs...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Those who haven't seen it already might also like to take a look at previous discussions on this subject.
HERE
It was bad enough then, with a 10% surcharge from USA but this really is a killer.
Thanks for the 'heads-up' Mop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Guys,
I don't want to add to what might already be a heated discussion, as I'm not familiar/informed as to what is causing this trade dispute. However, in your own respective governments, do you have elected representatives?

Purhaps a properly formatted message (co-signed by many people in your respected areas) to these elected officials expressing your concerns/distain for these taxes and duties is in order. If enough people come together against these higher taxes, your elected officials will feel the pressure and may try to take appropriate action on your behalf. At least that's how it works here (most of the time).

Best Regards,

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
714 Posts
Someone stated
QUOTE It's anywhere outside the EU.
To clarify, this isn't so in this particular case, which is specific to USA and also specific to certain goods.

Moped's quote states clearly
QUOTE Council Regulation (EC) No 2193/2003 which establishes additional customs duties on imports of certain products originating in the USA.
This is in regard to the recent imposition of additional duty.

It's worth bearing in mind that the British Customs and Excise people have awesome powers but, these have sometimes been disputed in law and they have occasionally lost. It has been shown that they are well capable of getting things completely wrong and sometimes grossly exceed their authority.

One should probably be not too hard on H M Customs but, if you read the quote above, carefully, you will find the following.
QUOTE Model railway goods are most probably classified under tariff heading 9503.
Most goods classified under 9503 are free of customs duty.
Twenty two of the thirty two commodity codes under tariff heading 9503 are subject to this additional duty.
From the carefully non-specific phrasing, it is fairly clear to me that the correspondent actually does not know the specific rules, not even with regard to the model railway goods in question! He also makes no mention of slot cars or accessories, which MIGHT or equally might NOT be classified the same. Why should he mention them, he wasn't asked about them! Therefore one would be wise to take on board the single most significant statement and actually CHECK at the contact point given.

On the other hand, one might be forgiven for not wanting to attract the personal attention of these people and, given their record of mistakes and misinterpretation, there is no guarantee that your enquiry will result in an accurately factual statement even if you do!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts