SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little puzzled about this chassis, was this chassis sold like this or is it pre production? The reason I ask is it's only has 1/8" axle holes . Most other Dynamic chassis I seen have recess for Bearings? Just seems strange to run a axle in the soft diecast metal,it would wear quite quickly wouldn't it?
Tool Gas Composite material Machine Bumper
Wood Gas Chair Machine Machine tool

·
Administrator
9,786 Posts
Yep, strictly production; in fact most Dynamic chassis were like this and the ones with bushings were in the minority from what I've seen. It may have been too that the earlier ones had the plain holes, and then Dynamic added bushing/bearing possibilities as technology evolved.

It is a bit strange, technically speaking, but remember that manufacturers were just trying to get out product in the earlier days, and weren't really planning to contend with long operation, powerful motors, etc. A lot of the stamped aluminum frames have plain 1/8" holes in the aluminum for the front wheels, altho most rears had the oilite bearings.

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks, I'll be giving it a look at the drill , and drop some bushes in it! I've been putting off doing it just in case it was special.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
As far as I can work out, all the early Dynamic chassis had the bare 1/8" holes in the alloy chassis, these were termed "Dynamite" chassis. They introduced the "Dynaflex" chassis in 1966 which featured a sprung bearing carrier. They also supplied a range of bearings that could be swopped in (provided you had a bearing press).
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Poster

Andy

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a Dynamic cast rear piece for a 36D with just axle holes in it. Like Don said, I believe it's a early piece. When I get around to using it, I plan to drill them out to 3/16". I have oilites that dia. for both 1/8" & 3/32" axles, as well as bearings for 3/32". I question if there is enough material on the uprights to safely drill for 1/4" dia. bushings/bearings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, I've got some Tamiya bushes here so I'll probably go 3mm axles, I've got some threaded and plain axles .
Cheers,
John

·
Administrator
9,786 Posts
Even the Dynaflex chassis had the axle running in the bare metal - in fact, they weren't really big enough to drill out to any degree!

Dynamic also sold their own bearing press, for what it's worth.

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the Tamiya bush with OD.of 4.9mm-0.19" seems to me to be enough metal, when compared to the Cox casting witch I have broken ,I don't think I will have any problems.
Tool Finger Gas Metal Wood
Automotive tire Finger Wood Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Even the Dynaflex chassis had the axle running in the bare metal

But the Dynaflex bearing carriers are not the same soft alloy as the rest of the chassis. It's OK to make bearings out of chunks of metal as long as it's hard metal!

Later chassis mounts like the 26D had 1/4" holes with fitted 1/8" metal bearings thus:

Circuit component Gas Machine Metal Wire

Andy

·
Administrator
9,786 Posts
Thanks Andy, I had always assumed it was the same metal as the chassis itself... but that would make sense!

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts