SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've been browsing the forum looking at the fantastic scenery everyone is doing. I was wondering if anyone has thought of ways to add motion to the scenery to make the track seem more realistic?

I have thought that there are some good things that could be done using a projector for a back drop, especially since digital projectors are getting so cheap. With a projector, you could have planes flying by, clouds moving, birds flying, the sun setting etc, that could add realism to the track and help give a sense of place. I've seen that some people do smoke effects to make cloudy days.

Any other good ideas out there?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to your comments.

Heath

·
Registered
177 Posts
You could project crowd movement, like people rising for the start/finish, doing the "wave" as a favorite or the leader crosses the finish line.

Going from day to night to day for a "24 hr" race, incl overall ambient light, track and pit lane lighting.

How about a motorized ferris wheel, as @ Le Mans or Daytona?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My 9-year old daughter had an idea about 2 months ago that I pooh-poohed at the time, but it's gnawed at me a bit ever since....

I'd just purchased the Scalextric Italian Job Mini Cooper set, with plans to install SSD chips in them. I showed her the chase scene from the original movie, then we ran the cars analog for a bit. Then she chirped up, "Daddy, wouldn't it be cool to make them drive through water like in the movie?" I let her down gently, thinking about how my $100 investment, 3 digital chips, and water and electricity sounded like a bad idea. Later, at odd moments I've had thoughts like:
... hmmm... Seems like some folks break in their motors by running in distilled water... A nice, level section of R3 banked curve.... built into a basin, separated into upper and lower reservoirs, with a recirculating pump strong enoung to get water to flow down across the track..... I supposed magnets will help keep the cars from being washed down......Oooh! it might work with analog DC voltage, but what about digital (AC?) constant voltage and embedded signal?.... and many more......

More questions than I've had time and brain cells to address. If someone wants to give it a shot, you can't get much more dynamic with scenery!

Best,
Ray

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
FrankT had a little bit of trigger animation on his first track, Course sans Entretien. From memory, there was a photographer that reacted as a car went past. There was also a child(?) on a swing that my memory wants to see as animated, I can't be sure if it really was.

Graham Lane is also playing with some ideas for an animated waterfall and a few other bits and pieces, but I don't think any of them have made it to reality yet.

Embs

·
Registered
28 Posts
For digital how about a randomly triggered rock fall that block's one lane and forces everyone to take a lane change to avoid crashing. lol

·
Registered
984 Posts
You could have one of these in the background:-

Google -Faller Roadway System Its an OO gauge wire following car/truck. Amimated signs are available and on some circiuts shown on the Forum. Man waveing the chequered flag shoud be possible. Folk have already used digital phone, photo prames etc showing real views on spectator screens. Railway folk have flikering camp fires. Obviously with SSDC you can have real start lights.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the waterfall sounds good. in the local novelty shop they,ve got the fountains that drop water down 3 levells over pebbles ect. there only a fiver and you,ve got all the water circulating gear for your waterfall, river, waterwheel ect. john

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im in the throws of building a circuit based on an old airfield(as most of the tracks in the UK are old RAF bases with the track using the old taxi ways)
im currently trying to figure out how to get one of the aircraft to taxi from the hanger down the runway and back to the hanger.
i have a few ideas (most of them would not be out of place on scapheap challenge) but would welcome any thoughts on how i could get the aircraft over the track down the runway and back

i dont ask much do i

i will add a page with pics when theres something worth showing

Cheers All

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (tedski @ 25 May 2012, 08:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im in the throws of building a circuit based on an old airfield(as most of the tracks in the UK are old RAF bases with the track using the old taxi ways)
im currently trying to figure out how to get one of the aircraft to taxi from the hanger down the runway and back to the hanger.
i have a few ideas (most of them would not be out of place on scapheap challenge) but would welcome any thoughts on how i could get the aircraft over the track down the runway and back

i dont ask much do i

i will add a page with pics when theres something worth showing

Cheers All

Just make the aircraft into a very slow slot car and create a seperate slot for it, you could have it towed by a tractor, but a 1:32 Lancaster would be a bit big.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
I just did a quick search of ebay for "solar powered toys" and found tiny solar powered cars for £1.12 including postage!!!

I bought a solar powered cockroach last year and it was rubbish - it needs strong sunlight and has a really small photo cell and these type of toys don't look to have changed. BUT the little cars on ebay now seem to have much larger solar cells so might be worth looking at to introduce movement to a layout.

The cars are particularly interesting as they contain little motors that could be harnessed to drive mechanisms.

I have ordered a couple to play about with.

Damn - I knew I shouldn't have logged on to SlotForum in my coffee break!

EDIT: Just found a solar turntable for about £4 - it has a 3" base - could be good for a rotating advertising hoarding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Julian

Such a simple staight forward solution to something i was trying to make more difficult that it needed to be.

You know thw saying "cant see the wood for the trees"

Gloveman

i work in the CCTV industry and have collected over the years tiny (less than 1cm in length) zoom/focus motors from camera lenses
they work anything from 3v to 12v. Theebay have loads of scrap lenses for next to nothing if a smaller motor is required fro anything

Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
I haven't found much of a need for scenic animation on my circuit. Day to night lighting would be cool, especially if one could turn on car headlights remotely.

Regarding that model railroad, I love the flashing LED's for cameras in the crowd, but that could get old. I like how the scenes are activated individually and don't necessarily run constantly. That's a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts