SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since more of us are starting to use dynamic throttles, here's a thread about features, usage, etc.

Performance:

Here there's 4 of us, racing no-mag on a flowing 96' mostly 3-lane mdf track. With both fast & slow chicane sections, you notice if a car in traffic has a hiccup or reacts slowly etc. So far we can't tell any difference in reaction time or overall control.

Big like for automatic Yellows. It's great to have cars stopped automatically on a de-slot. Gets rid of frustration at the guy who always misses the yellow flag and gains 6' on everyone. You can adjust the delay before the yellow is called for the action on your track- a tight, small track might want the yellow called more quickly than a large open track.

We like the adjustable speed gain as you use fuel (and lose weight). A fairly subtle effect as I have it set now, but noticeable enough that it can be used in your race strategy.

Dislikes:
All cars stop dead as they cross the finish line at end of a race. This causes rear end collisions when next car coming is faster/coasts more. If you remove the dead car, it causes a yellow flag- also not desirable. I think all cars should always run unless there's a yellow flag.

Issues:
Sometimes we get surprise yellow flags when all cars are moving. Does this happen to anyone else? Could be non-mag braid issue, but we thought cars were all running fine.

Also, we get penalty flags on restarts when we're positive we haven't touched the controllers since the countdown began. Happens enough we've turned off black flags when using dynamic throttles, as it ruins a driver's race. Throttle threshold is set at 30, so it shouldn't happen accidentally.

Ryk

·
Registered
104 Posts
You might check your controllers. I had one controller that was untouched still giving a few % throttle power. Not enough to move the car but enough to be live and be signalled as false start by the RMS.
I have experienced this as well, some strong little fingers like to squeeze the trigger as hard as they can to make the car "go faster" and it bends the trigger stop screw this throws the trigger sensor off calibration. I had some controllers (mostly the early ones) that had left to right play in the trigger which also effects the sensor.

·
Prof I T
11,174 Posts
I have experienced this as well, some strong little fingers like to squeeze the trigger as hard as they can to make the car "go faster" and it bends the trigger stop screw this throws the trigger sensor off calibration.
hi

I had this thanks to one galoot who just wanted to set fastest laptime and not participate in any racing, only invited once, but it's easy to recalibrate,just reset the screw post and reflash the firmware as this recals the hall sensor...

·
Prof I T
11,174 Posts
Hi
Not unless the hall sensor is not tracking accurately, if its not reflashing does calibration for you.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Dislikes:
All cars stop dead as they cross the finish line at end of a race. This causes rear end collisions when next car coming is faster/coasts more. If you remove the dead car, it causes a yellow flag- also not desirable. I think all cars should always run unless there's a yellow flag.
Maybe an adjustable delay (for the car to stop after the finish line) like there's already with the yellow flag could improve things?

with kind regards
Tamar

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
The cars should continue under driver control like 1:1.
Ill ask Dave if he has time to tweak it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Yeah, the cars stopping when the heat is over is definitely a mistake. I presume you're using one of the "Allow Finish" race options and that when each car finishes the heat they stop dead at the line?

Also, is there every a time the SRMS should stop a single car on the track? I can't think of one and the safest/easiest fix for me to put in is to completely remove that support.

Last, I'm going to need some help testing this. Volunteers should email me at "[email protected]".

-Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Expert Race Setup, I have the "False Start Throttle Tolerance" set to 30, so thought it would be safe from trigger anomalies. I did check the data output from a couple of controllers, and they sent nothing when at rest.

However, it did tell me something: with the default S0 throttle curve, moving the trigger at all caused it to jump to 31, and I was unable to hold any value between it and 0. Since that's 1 over my threshold, that seems like a clue. My custom throttle curves start at 0 (instead of 12), and I can get many values between 0-30 with them. So I'm suspecting the S0 curve may be the culprit.

As soon as the weather gets a little closer to normal (we're almost 25 degrees below average this month), I will be able to heat the slot room again and test.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I'd have to see a log regarding the controller false start issues, but an easy test is to crank up the false start tolerance. If it goes away that's your problem. Then the question is, why... but it sounds like you're on to that.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
In Expert Race Setup, I have the "False Start Throttle Tolerance" set to 30, so thought it would be safe from trigger anomalies. I did check the data output from a couple of controllers, and they sent nothing when at rest.

However, it did tell me something: with the default S0 throttle curve, moving the trigger at all caused it to jump to 31, and I was unable to hold any value between it and 0. Since that's 1 over my threshold, that seems like a clue. My custom throttle curves start at 0 (instead of 12), and I can get many values between 0-30 with them. So I'm suspecting the S0 curve may be the culprit.

As soon as the weather gets a little closer to normal (we're almost 25 degrees below average this month), I will be able to heat the slot room again and test.
Just some background information......Scorpius car decoders output continuosly. If you have Car Data program you can test it. When car is stationary it puts out full telemetry100 updates a second, including stating its throttle value, 0. You can even save it to a file and analyse anytime.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Ryk you will need to stop the program asap after the bug appears then send Dave the logs with an explanation of the problem.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
FYI, I posted a new beta release. This has the per car power support removed. In theory when a driver finishes the heat they can keep driving now.

***NOTE: This is a full update from the analog setup. It should work just fine, but I can't test it. I'll need somebody to try out the heat ending stuff and do a general run through to make sure it works as before.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick work, Dave, thanks It is supposed to be above freezing later this week, so I should be able to heat up the slot room and test. As of 10am this morning, it's -4F (that's -20C), so hopeless right now!

Will this version have the dynamic throttle pace car fix from 1.12.0.3?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally, after missing racing last week due to floods (and our gravel roads being peanut butter), we finally had a good 4 car session last night.

V1.12.2.19- This version does have the pace cars enabled for dynamic throttles, as well as the end of race car stoppage fix.

The good news:

End of race now works properly. Added benefit- a minor annoyance with dynamic throttles has been that you have to be running a race to drive your car at all. Now you can drive as long as you want after race, which is handy for practice and testing.

The bad news:

We're convinced that there are now drop-outs in data sent to the cars. Everyone felt their car had a little more "stuttering", but there were also moments of complete absence of data where cars would sometimes even come to a halt. And then then go again as normal. We never felt a lag in response, or that the data ever "caught up later"- it was just gone for a moment. The dropouts were unpredictable- sometimes laps would go by, sometimes it happened 2-3 times in a lap. The behavior disappeared when we turned off dynamic throttles. Without adjusting braid, etc the cars instantly ran smooth and consistent as ever (we're no-mag, so braid can be touchy). There were 4 drivers, no pace cars in the driver list. This dropout behavior happens with a single driver also.

We needed to turn off the dynamic throttles in order to have a meaningful race.

Black Flags: We are now convinced that Black Flags are called in error at times. We were very deliberate about our restarts, and the flags never came from someone jumping the gun, they happened the moment the countdown started. Even holding my controller up by the handle (no finger), I received occasional flags. I upped error threshold to 40, and I tested all throttles- they are at 0 when resting.

Ryk

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Ryk,
Thanks for the teport. New changes often bring bugs. The best action is to let Dave know directly, he is the go to. And unless he knows he cant fix it. What you were using is basically a beta release.

Rick

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ryk,
Thanks for the teport. New changes often bring bugs. The best action is to let Dave know directly, he is the go to. And unless he knows he cant fix it. What you were using is basically a beta release.

Rick
Yes, I expected this after using the earlier 1.12 release (just before my pc died). I had wanted to really confirm the behavior change, so was using 1.11.x for a bit so performance could be compared.

I expected I would have to go without dynamic throttles while this was getting fixed (there's no going back to an earlier version), but that's how progress is made sometimes!

I have emailed Dave also, but thought I should post here as he had posted about the update earlier.

Ryk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1.11 performs great. No difference in control latency as compared to direct-to-car. I'm using a Pentium pc, so it doesn't require that much horsepower either.

1.11 doesn't function right with pace cars in the driver list while dynamic throttles is on- all driver data ceases to be sent to cars after the green flag. 1.12 was the first implementation of a fix for that. It performs well- except for the dropouts.

Ryk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts