SlotForum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A note on the Black Flag errors- turns out it was my LB1 that was causing this. It drives one LC, the other beacons are in the other lanes for position sensing (I have a converted 4-lane, 1 lane is for re-slots). Whenever a car went over one of the beacons, it would cause the car to send a 222 throttle value (which stuck until the next LB). This would (obviously) go over the limit and cause a Flag. I re-flashed the LB and switched beacons around, no more errors. I used the car data feature in the RMS to see this occurring.

Registered
I was trying to set up dynamic throttles tonight, I have the controller ID set to 24 and the pin for this controller 0006 dynamic throttle box is checked and the green light on two dongles connected. In RC track setup, ID/PIN tab, I get a response on the graph for throttle in id 24 and throttle out on 6 but on car in I get nothing. Car runs on track but no laps are detected. I think the below might be what I'm missing:

I dont understand what or how to: "Cars are set to their ID's, with pin# 0000."

From RYK4 "1.11.x.x will give you the dynamic throttles. Yes, two dongles. That's all.

You need to set your throttles up a little differently- all are on ID 24, with pin 0001 being for car ID 1, 0002 car ID 2, etc. Cars are set to their ID's, with pin# 0000."

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brent

Registered
I sent the controller info to car so the car is set to ID 24 pin 0006, but if I understand correctly now I should set the car to ID 6 pin 0000 from the controller then change the controller to ID 24 Pin 0006? (I don't know how to set car ID/pin other than from the controller)

After reading and searching today I discovered the dongle aux program for the two dongles, which I have not installed so that may be apart of my issues as well.

With your controller set as described, the car should be ID 6, pin #0000

If you're able to drive the car, it should be sending data out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If you have the green light on the Track Setup screen, your two dongles are ok together, I believe. I have an early and a later dongle, so they didn't match internal id's and I didn't have to run that setup option. If you've ran pace cars before, you've used two dongles.

I sent the controller info to car so the car is set to ID 24 pin 0006, but if I understand correctly now I should set the car to ID 6 pin 0000 from the controller then change the controller to ID 24 Pin 0006? (I don't know how to set car ID/pin other than from the controller)

After reading and searching today I discovered the dongle aux program for the two dongles, which I have not installed so that may be apart of my issues as well.
Yes, that's the way to do it. Use the controller to set car to ID 6, pin #0000, then reset the controller to run on chan 24, pin #0006.

Basically, after that if you want to switch back and forth between using dynamic or not, it's a matter of unchecking it in Track Setup, and reseting the controllers to ID 6 pin #0000, etc. The cars can all stay the same. For convenience, I usually use one controller to re-ID any cars that need it, then change it back to chan 24 etc.

If you have a green light for the dongles, that should mean your two are fine. If they came from different manufacturing batches (mine did), you won't need to run the program.

Ryk

Registered
I got Dynamic Throttles working this weekend thank you for all your help Ryk!

My dongles are from different batches also so I didn't need to run that dual dongle program, I didn't have the car ID setup correctly for DT. I did notice that the dongles became ALOT more sensitive to their position relative to the track. I have always had my dongle near/above the PC on the side edge without any car cutoffs, but I had to position them over the track (I know this is standard just nvr did it) to get the car to go around the track.

Registered
We're convinced that there are now drop-outs in data sent to the cars. Everyone felt their car had a little more "stuttering", but there were also moments of complete absence of data where cars would sometimes even come to a halt. And then then go again as normal. We never felt a lag in response, or that the data ever "caught up later"- it was just gone for a moment. The dropouts were unpredictable- sometimes laps would go by, sometimes it happened 2-3 times in a lap. The behavior disappeared when we turned off dynamic throttles. Without adjusting braid, etc the cars instantly ran smooth and consistent as ever (we're no-mag, so braid can be touchy). There were 4 drivers, no pace cars in the driver list. This dropout behavior happens with a single driver also.
RYK,

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I have been experiencing the exact same conditions, I have been moving dongles around, replaced the usb extenders, turning things off in the barn. It only happens with dynamic throttles on and is always random places/times on the track.

Banned
I got Dynamic Throttles working this weekend thank you for all your help Ryk!

My dongles are from different batches also so I didn't need to run that dual dongle program, I didn't have the car ID setup correctly for DT. I did notice that the dongles became ALOT more sensitive to their position relative to the track. I have always had my dongle near/above the PC on the side edge without any car cutoffs, but I had to position them over the track (I know this is standard just nvr did it) to get the car to go around the track.
Its not dongle or hardware related.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
RYK,

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I have been experiencing the exact same conditions, I have been moving dongles around, replaced the usb extenders, turning things off in the barn. It only happens with dynamic throttles on and is always random places/times on the track.
Yes, it seems to be a channel switching issue with the dongle- it causes enough delay that new controller data is missed sometimes, and with more drivers there's more misses. We tried a simple data repeat fix (if data is missed then repeat last value) which helped quite a bit, but with more drivers the repeats began to be longer- so acted kind of like a momentarily stuck throttle.

There is a solution, Dave is waiting for a car chip firmware update which will alleviate the need for the channel switching.

Ryk

PS what version of RMS are you using?

Banned
Ryk you have new firmware to test regarding adding PIN to car telemetry.
Simulations can now advance.
Dave has been notified also.

Rick

Reactions: ryk4racing
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.