SlotForum banner

Dynamic Throttle Thread

7K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  lawracing 
#1 ·
Since more of us are starting to use dynamic throttles, here's a thread about features, usage, etc.

Performance:

Here there's 4 of us, racing no-mag on a flowing 96' mostly 3-lane mdf track. With both fast & slow chicane sections, you notice if a car in traffic has a hiccup or reacts slowly etc. So far we can't tell any difference in reaction time or overall control.

Big like for automatic Yellows. It's great to have cars stopped automatically on a de-slot. Gets rid of frustration at the guy who always misses the yellow flag and gains 6' on everyone. You can adjust the delay before the yellow is called for the action on your track- a tight, small track might want the yellow called more quickly than a large open track.

We like the adjustable speed gain as you use fuel (and lose weight). A fairly subtle effect as I have it set now, but noticeable enough that it can be used in your race strategy.

Dislikes:
All cars stop dead as they cross the finish line at end of a race. This causes rear end collisions when next car coming is faster/coasts more. If you remove the dead car, it causes a yellow flag- also not desirable. I think all cars should always run unless there's a yellow flag.

Issues:
Sometimes we get surprise yellow flags when all cars are moving. Does this happen to anyone else? Could be non-mag braid issue, but we thought cars were all running fine.

Also, we get penalty flags on restarts when we're positive we haven't touched the controllers since the countdown began. Happens enough we've turned off black flags when using dynamic throttles, as it ruins a driver's race. Throttle threshold is set at 30, so it shouldn't happen accidentally.

Ryk

See less See more
#27 ·
I got Dynamic Throttles working this weekend thank you for all your help Ryk!

My dongles are from different batches also so I didn't need to run that dual dongle program, I didn't have the car ID setup correctly for DT. I did notice that the dongles became ALOT more sensitive to their position relative to the track. I have always had my dongle near/above the PC on the side edge without any car cutoffs, but I had to position them over the track (I know this is standard just nvr did it) to get the car to go around the track.

#28 ·
We're convinced that there are now drop-outs in data sent to the cars. Everyone felt their car had a little more "stuttering", but there were also moments of complete absence of data where cars would sometimes even come to a halt. And then then go again as normal. We never felt a lag in response, or that the data ever "caught up later"- it was just gone for a moment. The dropouts were unpredictable- sometimes laps would go by, sometimes it happened 2-3 times in a lap. The behavior disappeared when we turned off dynamic throttles. Without adjusting braid, etc the cars instantly ran smooth and consistent as ever (we're no-mag, so braid can be touchy). There were 4 drivers, no pace cars in the driver list. This dropout behavior happens with a single driver also.
RYK,

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I have been experiencing the exact same conditions, I have been moving dongles around, replaced the usb extenders, turning things off in the barn. It only happens with dynamic throttles on and is always random places/times on the track.

#30 ·
I got Dynamic Throttles working this weekend thank you for all your help Ryk!

My dongles are from different batches also so I didn't need to run that dual dongle program, I didn't have the car ID setup correctly for DT. I did notice that the dongles became ALOT more sensitive to their position relative to the track. I have always had my dongle near/above the PC on the side edge without any car cutoffs, but I had to position them over the track (I know this is standard just nvr did it) to get the car to go around the track.
Its not dongle or hardware related.

#31 ·
RYK,

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I have been experiencing the exact same conditions, I have been moving dongles around, replaced the usb extenders, turning things off in the barn. It only happens with dynamic throttles on and is always random places/times on the track.
Yes, it seems to be a channel switching issue with the dongle- it causes enough delay that new controller data is missed sometimes, and with more drivers there's more misses. We tried a simple data repeat fix (if data is missed then repeat last value) which helped quite a bit, but with more drivers the repeats began to be longer- so acted kind of like a momentarily stuck throttle.

There is a solution, Dave is waiting for a car chip firmware update which will alleviate the need for the channel switching.

Ryk

PS what version of RMS are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.