SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking round for suitable chassis to fit under "classic" type cars I found this :-

http://ejshobbies.com/cars/index.html

Has anybody tried these chassis?......They seem to be a very cost effective way to get old kit cars running and they really look like they were made in the sixties.

I know our American friends seem keen on them.

Regards

Alan

PS Anyone stock them in the UK?

·
Registered
545 Posts
A very reliable and flexible chassis. I have four of them and I am very pleased. The grip from the skinny tires is unbelievable. I just purchased some of his new wider GP tires but I have not used them yet.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John

Excellent Merc, there is something about these 50's/60's Sports cars that is really special, they are just so attractive.
I've got to admit I prefer to replace the 1/8th threaded axles with 3/32nd stuff, (never liked it in the 60's!), but those chassis look great.

Have you any idea how much the genuine Monogram chassis are going for these days? I would like to get hold of some.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Alan,

it's a while since I've been looking on e-bay for them, however about 6 months ago mint in packet chassis were being offered buy it now for about $50.

I normally pick up delapidated old cars for £10 - £20 and then fix them up....

Paul

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Jeez! I bet that old Revell shell has never been that fast in it's life! I see that motor! I see those twin magnets! Don't go slingshotting off into the scenery now- that car looks FAR too nice!
Lovely stuff, John - a treat to see.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

they are an exact copy of the old first generation Mono chassis from 1963 or so. They have added new motor mounts for new motors. However, the material is better, stiffer than the originals.

Fate

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Actually they are not an exact copy, there are minor differences, but they are very similar and can be used as a direct replacement.
At the top is the Monogram chassis and the EJ chassis is at the bottm of the picture.

Ed made them like this so nobody could pass his chassis off as an original, he also did the same thing with his repro Strombecker and 1/24 Revell chassis.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Got plenty of the Monograms if anyone needs them, all types in all scales.

No EJ's though, that one came out of a Coronet kit I have in stock.

I think I may list Monogram and Revell stuff next, on my spares site.

·
Registered
225 Posts
EJ's made two chassis, both looked very similiar, but one was for the 3 post strombecker bodies(it is no longer available). It is as good as the Monogram type chassis. The strombecker chassis was used in a very good Ferrari 365-P2 kit. EJ is sold out of these also. However, RadTrax might possibly still have a few in stock.
There are so many "decent" (barely) Strombecker bodies available on eBay that the EJ chassis would be very desirable.
And yes,, the tires are very grippy, especially with proper weighting. I am not sure that they aren't as good as any silicones in non-magnet situations. I think it has to do with the pressure/unit area created by the narrow width tires.
Ed says that Strombecker made 3 differant P2 bodies, the particular kit I bought had the most detailed body. It is as good as any Revell or Mongram body made in the 60's and by far the best Strombecker body I have seen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.