SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Greetings all!

I am humbled by the quality of work that is going into this 1960's F1 Proxy. All the work I have seen is amazing!!!

I am a total rookie at scratch building, the last thing I put together was a Tamiya 1/12 RC in 1979. I have never done anything more than de-mag, weight, glue, true and lube my slots.

However, I am undaunted and am now pleased to officially "launch" my own project in this 'challenge'. I'll use this thread for sharing and updates on my progress. It's like anything else in life, the more people you tell you are going to do something, the more likely you are actually going to complete it!

So here goes!

Car: Eagle Climax (AAR-001)
Race: Canadian Grand Prix, 1967
Driver: Al Pease
Team: Private Entry

1967 was the first Canadian Grand Prix. It was held at the legendary Mosport circuit, 80 miles outside of Toronto, my home. Canada was celebrating its Centennial that year and Al Pease, a veteran Canadian club racer, with the backing of Castrol Oil, made a deal to run the original Eagle Climax as a private entry in this innaugural Canadian GP. It was a rainy day at Mosport and he didn't get off the start line. After some frantic work to restore the electrical function, he eventually joined the field only to puttter around well off the pace and end up not classified. I was one year old at the time.

More if you want it: Al Pease Bio

But it's a Canadian driver in a legenday car and I figure to be the only one entering this model so what the heck...

Here's a couple of photo references:

Now down to the model!

First things first, I am concentrating on the Chasis.

The current plan is to adapt an HO slot car into the drive train/rear axle and mount this to a tube chasis / front end and guide!

I am going for light and nimble.

Slightly different than most approaches so far, but my Step 1 Test went well last night so I am going to continue down this path for now.

As my donor I have selected the fastest rocket from my HO collection, the US made Patriot P2. It is a precision molded chasis with great mechanicals, a very fast motor and quite a nice tidy package (albiet MAG heavy).

The Step 1 Test included mounting 1/32 scale tyres, removing the huge traction magnets, temporarily weighting down the nose, overlaying some braids on the guide shoes and giving it a run on my home track's main straight.

Well, to my surprise and delight, the thing has got punch, seems like it will be drivable and all in all looks like it fits my vision for the chasis. So there is no turning back.

Here's some pics of what I'm rambling on about:

Donor Car: Patriot P2

Top view

Underside - w loose braids

Test wagon with weight on front end

So if I'm completely mad, speak up now or for ever hold your Pease (sic)

That's it for today.

Next steps are:

- cut down the donor chasis to remove unecessary bits (side mounts and front end)
- design and construct front end
- marry front end and dirve train
- order wheels, body, motor and driver bits

Thanks for the visit.

More next week,

Ken R

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Glad you're aboard, Ken!
I like the local interest angle of modelling Pease's car. I was there (at the age of 13) but recall very little of the day. It was the '69 race that holds vivid memories for me, maybe because I was 2 years older, collected a whack of drivers' autographs, and had a camera at the time. Anyway, it's a cool and interesting choice - I hope you can find enough reference pics for it. The Patriot "motor pod" concept is innovative and should work well if you can keep overall weight down. What wheels, axle, gears will you use?

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Ken

I'll add my comments to those above. The motor Pod concept using an HO Donor is a great idea, and it should go really well.

Look forward to seeing and reading about your progress.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

Fergy, I am going to keep the whole drivetrain from the P2 including gears (7/25 maybe 26 - those teeth are pretty small to count!). I am either going to replace the axle with a longer version or do a 'tube' over the current length (solder/epoxy) to reach the desired width. Maxi-Models in the UK has a great looking driver and Eagle wheels and inserts so I am likely going to put in an order with them over the next couple of days.

JohnP - great image! thanks! Challenge with what I'm doing is that its the original Climax version (4 cylinder) that Al Pease ran and AAR originally ran with while they waited for the Weslake engine to be completed - most references are per your link and per many Gurney pics are of the Eagle Weslake!

Cheers, Ken R

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE Errmmm.... seems to be a few too many exhaust pipes on that car, JP!
Oops! Is this the right number?

Ken, these are some detailing reference pics that I took at Donington recently. Hope this helps a little

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
1...2...3...4! Perfect, JP!

Must be nice to get a chance to see so much vintage stuff - only vintage stuff I see here is when I look in a mirror...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks John!!!!!!

Those are the final pieces to my puzzle! I have seen this car pictured on a Website form the same museum, but your angles on the exhaust, gear box and intake are PERFECT and the lighting is WOW!

All I need now are exact meassurements...
hey you don't think they'd lend you the car for a weekend do you?!

Cheers and thanks again,

Ken R

ps too funny Fergy!

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
I don't see any close up's of the mirrors JP.......Russell will not be pleased!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some updated work.

Special thanks to John P for the drawings!!!

Chopped the front end and side bits off the donor HO chasis.

Bought alot of brass and aluminum tubing and bits.

Decided this is going to be a parts bin special, so not ordering new stuff...

First pic shows all sorts of bits including Tamiya 1/12 R/C, brass tubing, a couple of Policar F1 chasis and parts, a torn apart Scaley Merc F1 (pre-China!).

Decided on the MRRC wheels of my Chaparall. I know theses are only 5 spoke and the Eagle ran six spoke, but the profile and size are spot on, the spokes look perfect to the prototype (if not for the number) and I think the rubber is pretty decent grip wise...

So I had to add 1/4" to each axle to meet the specs... simple 3/32" hollow brass tube, cut to reach the side of the HO chasis -1/8" and epoxied in place. Presto one sized axle.

Wheels still 'press on' (will glue for the races) and the whole axle snaps out when needed per the original.

So thats it for the night, the epoxy is drying. I'm debating wether a drop of solder on the ends is necessary...

More soon!

Ken R

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nice going Ken

I reckon there must be a few MRRC Chaparrals up on bricks as a result of all this 60's formula one activity!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the motor performs in 1/32. I've a box full of redundant HO stuff (not as souped up as your Patriot unfortunately) and those tiny gears seem like a neat way get around the scale gearbox problem.

Here's another picture of the Eagle at Donington:

QUOTE I don't see any close up's of the mirrors JP.......Russell will not be pleased!.
Alan, I did attempt to photograph the mirrors but got over-excited and spoilt them with camera shake:

Russell will understand.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update...

My soldering of aluminum tubing failed! I need the right solder... or soldering gun.. or talent... oh well.

Was going to cancel, but then figured that was too easy, so came up with the styrene idea. Using 1/8" hollow square tubing for the main chasis. Will be adding cross braces and other bits to give my chasis a "tube" type design. Very period. Actually holds the HO donor chasis nicely!

It will allow me for a FULL DRIVER and cockpit! Don't ask me about the body I'm not there yet!!!

Cheers, Ken

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
No Howmet.......I applied the decals personally. I used a lot of Micro Sol to conform to all those complex curves.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I bet it made her eyes water.
It's not so hard getting the decals to stretch over the bumps with Micro Sol, it's getting them to stick down in the creases that's tricky, I find.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts