SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's nothing more than a kit bashing of the MRRC Eagle. Once again I'm using a Beardog F1 chassis which allows for a full driver figure so I cut out the molded driver. On the rear I cut out a slot to make room the the intake trumpets. I drilled out the short stubby ones and put in some from Maxi-Models.

I cut off the exhaust that came with the kit as they looked a little cheap and used a set from a 1/32 diecast by Polistil. I cut out a small groove on either side to fit them in.

The decals are from Pattos and the inserts and driver are from Maxi-Models.

Well it's off to finish the Lotus.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great job! I haven't scratch builded a car yet. But this makes me want to try it. Only been back into the hobby for a year and have been building scenery. As my painting skills are improving, maybe it's time to give it a go.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Howmet, I won about 10 of these Polistil cars in an Ebay auction for $10. The cars themselves are pretty much junk but I got them for the engine, exhaust, and wing bits. I have a few classic shells from AB Slot and I plan to cut out the molded engine and exhaust detailing and use some of these items to try and bring up the level of detail.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was watching something on the telly the other day & I'm sure I heard them say Dan Gurney had a navy blue helmet. Shame I hadn't seen this post before the show - I'd have paid more attention!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Excellent work Jay, the engine/exhaust detailing works really well. A great looking slot car.

I would bet my house on Dan's crash helmet being black.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Howmet

I've put my sleeping bag in the back of the Morris Minor just in case. If your workshop is anything like mine there wouldn't be any room.

But I'm raising my bet in complete confidence, I'll throw in my summer house and home track as I'm absolutely certain that Gurney's crash helmet was black when he raced the Eagle.

I have seen a photograph of him with a white peak on his helmet when racing a Lotus 18 in 1961 but every other photo of him in "Dan Gurney - The Ultimate Racer" by Karl Ludvigsen shows him wearing a black helmet.

The one race where I saw him in the flesh was the 1970 British GP and he had a black helmet on that day.

David

1 - 20 of 36 Posts