SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I'll be there. Mega G in the morning and then probably Nascar in the afternoon. LL-T and SG+ if I can make it/both/either/any of them quicker.

If Nascar doesn't happen then I'll be in Mod.

Hope Lee is going to make this one as I won't be at FLBT this weekend.

Deane, can you check your email as I sent you a couple of questions regarding the upcoming AFX order.

Cheers

Gareth

· Registered
2,537 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 27 Sep 2011, 21:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not had anything Gareth.

Congrats on the news by the way.

Thanks mate. Another ultra Junior WHO racer!

My email just asked what the postage and customs charges were likely to be like. Although based on the news I should probably stop buying cars for a while!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
QUOTE (RobinRacer @ 28 Sep 2011, 10:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Congratulations Gareth. Wedding and a Bambino on the way sounds like your going to be a busy man for sometime

See you on Wednesday.

Thanks Robin! Yep, I shall be a very busy man indeed.

I've got to knuckle down and complete all my slot building projects in the next few months.

Track
Mod cars
Monster Trucks
Monster Truck track
Speed Oval.

No pressure!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I shall be Mega G racing in the morning and then the afternoon I'm not sure. My usual EAHORC Nascar will suffer terribly on the long straights of the layout so may not be the ideal weapon. I've not done any testing of my new Frankenchon mobile and it doesn't have a decent body on it. I'll have to have a tinker with some bits before then and make a decision.

What do I need to do to convert my F1 car into an LMP....apart from the LMP body before anyone gets too smart! Anyone have any AJ hubs I can buy?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the LMP cars guys. Very useful. Is it still legal to use the Wizzard front end? My car is a Martech so I don't have a regular front axle.

Also, can I borrow an LMP body?
I've not 100% decided on what to run as yet but I do feel I'll be marginally more competitive in LMP as my Nascar is only going to be a front runner on tracks with shorter straights.

Marc, thanks for the offer but I'll order some more from the States. I always seem to need them!

I must check the Mod rules as well to make sure my strange creation is legal. Not even sure if it'll be competitive as yet as I've never run it!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I've covering my bases! I've got a couple of second hand LL-Ts to test to see if they run quicker than my current motor. If they do, I'll flip the motor into my regular chassis and then I'm in Nascar....assuming it runs.

Diesel gave me some MR-1 MkII magnets as I'd bought a car and it turned up without them. I also have an MkI which is rubbish and has a stripped crown gear. I noticed the rear axle was bent and a bit junk on the yellow chassis so it is now fitted with a Turbo motor, Turbo pinion and Turbo rear axle including crown. However rolling non-powered tests reveal the crown is scraping on the track so I'm going to fit LL-T rims see how that goes.

I couldn't get an SG+ crown into the car so hopefully it is fast with the Turbo drivetrain!!

Robin and I are also thinking along the samelines for a budget pro-mod but I won't have the parts for mine until after the meeting so it'll have to wait.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I have prepped myself a Mod car! I've not tested it beyond making sure the motor runs. The gears don't always mesh so I could do with a bit of tuning on it. And I've had to change the wheels tonight so I hope they stay on!

And I've done a bit of modding on this MS body (which was my favourite of all my MS cars) to fit the chassis. It turns out that this is one of the only MS bodies I had that had the right wheel length.

Looks awesome doesn't it!

Just some small balsa strips to hold it in place.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Stock magnets and no cuts or mods to the chassis at all. I had to swap out that axle as the LifeLike rims were pushing the car up to 36mm wide.

I've now put in one from my SG+ Nascar with AJ rims.

I do still need to find some .434 or bigger super tyres. I think Compound B would be best as well as ground clearance is incredibly marginal.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm undecided right now! I'm bringing a Nascar or two but I'm also bringing my Mod car and Woodcote is loaning me an LMP body. And it is the Audi so I'll stick out from the crowd which is nice. I've got the right tyre heights for LMP so I'm definitely leaning towards that if it runs.

I doubt tyres would turn up in time from the States if I bought them today.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Deane, have you had any thoughts along the lines of replacing Tony and his shop?

Seeing as he is now not going to be at any National races, would it not be a good idea to think about someone having an array of spares/tyres for sale at EAHORC meetings?

I don't think it needs to extend to selling a lot of cars (maybe have a couple of Mega G's in stock) but definitely silicone tyres, double flanged hubs, pinions, crowns, pickup shoes and springs. That sort of stuff.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Gearing is the next stage for my LifeLike T. Seeing as it is so super sticky in the bends, I'm trying out some new gears to see if I can make it a bit more sprightly in a straight line.

I've also got a couple more cars to try out and see if I've got a quicker motor in my collection which would be awesome if so. I know the gear change will make the car illegal for EAHORC Nascar but it will be interesting in Mod and also at WHO. Last Mod round this car set almost the same amount of laps as John's A Final winning MR-1 so it could spring a surprise or two in future.

I also just bought some T-Jet idler gears as I've got a week off work next week and I'm spending a large chunk of it finishing my track and hopefully a monster truck or two!

Also I saw on the LB site that LifeLike M rolling chassis are $12 but he has a sale on the lighted version of just $9 so worth picking up a few if you have the spare dosh.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I was over at Andy P's last night with John having a play on Andy's half finished bullring. Over a single lap I could get close to them but with numerous offs. We had a 3 minute race and they finished about 20 laps ahead of me!
This was driving LL-M cars which are about the limit for what you want to race on that track.
I think with Tjets, Magnatractions or things of that ilk it would have been closer. The D-bounce was 1.205 seconds and we all managed to hit that with the LL-Ms. Reduced the D-bounce, stuck on the SG+ and Marchon mod cars and got sub second laptimes!!

Still it really did highlight the driving skill these two have. Watching them keep it on the road side by side flat out for over 20 laps was pretty special!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 28 Oct 2011, 14:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe if you'd been watching your own car, you wouldn't have been 20 laps behind?

That was after the race wise guy!

In the race I was keeping it on the road and lapping at around 1.5 seconds a lap but they were consistently 0.3 seconds a lap quicker!!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I couldn't really follow the cars with my head at that speed! Hence being 20% slower!! But I was able to maintain that rhythm.

With the home scale tracks I'm a firm believer that slower is better. It makes me wonder how I was able to race Turbos so quickly when I was a kid with one of the regular layouts.

Which means I'm especially looking forward to Sunday and getting some of my quick cars to max speed again!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I got there and handed over my entrance fee but then I noticed that the band weren't on till 10.45 so I took my money back and went home! And yes, I think my crashes in Turns 3/4 did give the race win to Andy. I think he'll have to spread the driver stations around the track!

I'm glad you've discovered the joys of the X-tractions. They really are a lot of fun to drive. Of course this means even more competition to buy them!

Last night did tell me one thing. Put your money on John for the inaugural WHO Nascar championship next year. The man is an oval wizard!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Well that certainly was a great day of racing. Tony, David, Rob and the rest of the HONK guys can be hugely proud of what they've achieved and thanks for hosting us. A fantastic track although with my failing eyes I was struggling to see the far end of the circuit! Which might be why my favourite sections were the swooping double switchback section and the blasts between hairpins at the start of the lap.

I can't help feeling disappointed with my performance in both the morning B Final and the LMP A Final but both Clive and Rob drove very well and deserved their wins in those races.

Did anyone else feel like they were still leaving some laptime on the table? I think I was being pretty conservative in some areas of the track and I think a few more tenths could be found.

Great to meet new people (Lee, Tony, Rob, John M) and catch up with old friends. Good day all round.

Cheers

Gareth

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.