SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,636 Posts
It's the arm out of the Tyco battery powered sets, looks like a standard Tyco arm apart from having a red collar instead of a white one, the two I've got come from Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson, and are currently in Wizzard chassis.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
The 3.5 Tyco arm in a Tyco chassis is not an easy car to drive, the power is quite peaky, an EAHORC OW Mega G is easier to get on with and a 6 ohm Tyco is easier than a Mega G. (the 3.5 arm is superb in a Wizzard though)
When we first started racing Mega Gs they were fairly evenly matched to the Tycos, and for a season I used both chassis (with zero preperation on either) and got good results, but in the last two years things have moved on at EAHORC and you now need a well prepared car to do well, in that time people have done the prep work on Mega Gs but not the Tycos.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 5 Sep 2012, 20:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Paul.

I may try the new guide pin in the Mega G again for OW. Need to try something to get better OW results because lets be honest they are pathetic

You need to crash less, the way to do this is to ease off and then build the speed gradually, you'll need to do this at the 24 hour or you'll have a very frustrating time.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 24 Sep 2012, 23:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With this likely to be a BIG track

I dunno, I'm feeling knackered at the moment so I don't know if I fancy a marathon track building session at the weekend.

Anyone got any small tyres for a Storm Extreme, the ones it comes with are huge, I better get round to putting the 3.5 arm in.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
It takes a lot longer than you think, about 6 hours both times so far, most of that is putting in the little pieces of copper for the BSTS, I probably should use less of the routed sectional track and more plastic track, but I tend to get a bit carried away with the layout and end up with something massive.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
There's a Hungry Horse walking distance from the hall or we can go somewhere else, I believe Deane favours Harvester type establishments.

And do you want more straights or more corners than last time, and I like wiggles.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
IMO the first one I made was the best HO slot car track I've ever raced on, but it was a bit of a monster to marshall due to it's size, so the next one I tried to make a in a more conventional shape but it ended up being nowhere near as good as the first, and the racing wasn't close, but it was nearly all corners and only one decent straight, so I think I need to think about what made the first one good and attempt to recreate that in a track that's easier to marshall - and also hopefully doesn't take too long to assemble.

With that in mind I think I've got an idea in my head that will work, a similar U-bend and straights to the first track, with a smaller (than the first track) set of BSTS bends attached and possibly the return of Snoopy's bollock.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 25 Sep 2012, 15:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That sounds like a plan.

Julian - perhaps we have different idea on ''walking distance''
- The nearest HH based on their website is 0.7 miles away.

That sounds about right, we can always drive, if the weather stays as it is now though, we're definitely driving.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 25 Sep 2012, 18:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How cool, nice big working party with plenty of time, love it that I'm IC lane evenness and marshalability, don't tell my kids that whining actually gets you somewhere

Out of interest, which way are the drivers facing this time?

Also, my vote on the grub front is a hot dog at the hot rods. (yeah I know but stock cars didn't sound as good)

Hot dogs at hot rods sounds good.
I was thinking of going back to drivers facing the window - it seemed to work better for most people.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
Keys for hall picked up, so all systems go.
On Sunday please remember to park in the car park across the road from the back entrance to the hall, the other hall is being used by the Scouts later on and they will need full access to the yard, if we wish to continue to use the Scout Hall then we have to abide by their wishes.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I liked the track (I guess I would though), with hind sight I could have made white a bit worse and yellow a bit better by changing round the tight BSTS bend and it's neighbour so that white lane had the tight 6" bend on the loop near the drivers stations.

A big thankyou to everyone who raced today and supported the meeting, I hope everyone enjoyed the track, I suspect some people would have liked a technical section but I was concerned about numbers of marshalls and build time.

Well done to the race winners, but if you had fun today, then as far as I'm concerned you're a winner.

I'd forgotten how much fun Wizzards are, my near standard Storm Extreme was great to drive, down on speed compared to the other Pro-Mods but great fun, I'm tempted to leave it as it is - it'll certainly be cheaper than replacing the armature every meeting

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.