SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 170 Posts

· Registered
3,636 Posts
The 3.5 Tyco arm in a Tyco chassis is not an easy car to drive, the power is quite peaky, an EAHORC OW Mega G is easier to get on with and a 6 ohm Tyco is easier than a Mega G. (the 3.5 arm is superb in a Wizzard though)
When we first started racing Mega Gs they were fairly evenly matched to the Tycos, and for a season I used both chassis (with zero preperation on either) and got good results, but in the last two years things have moved on at EAHORC and you now need a well prepared car to do well, in that time people have done the prep work on Mega Gs but not the Tycos.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 5 Sep 2012, 20:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Paul.

I may try the new guide pin in the Mega G again for OW. Need to try something to get better OW results because lets be honest they are pathetic

You need to crash less, the way to do this is to ease off and then build the speed gradually, you'll need to do this at the 24 hour or you'll have a very frustrating time.

· Banned
8,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Lee - Broadly speaking I agree with Julian. If you are crashing more than once a minute then there is probably more lap time to be found there than looking at car changes. You proved that last time at HONK, right?

· Banned
8,456 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 5 Sep 2012, 19:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>n at EAHORC and you now need a well prepared car to do well, in that time people have done the prep work on Mega Gs but not the Tycos.

Robin was always able to show what a well built, but pretty standard, Tyco was able to do when well driven.

Marc has now started to properly look at upgrading them, and the results speak for themselves.

The previous Tyco regulars did not want to do that, or even make sure their current cars were as good as they could be. It's fairly similar to what happend when the MR1 was first being used....

· Registered
701 Posts
Andy is right to say I have not done as much as I could with the Tyco but it's funny, the motivation to run it came from the same feeling LeeH is having right now. My OW form with the mega was only getting worse and I felt like I had to try something. I concentrated purely on power for WHO last season and passing the odd mega on the straight (when I wasn't crashing) woke me up to the potential.

Julian is right to say that it's not easy to drive, you couldn't cruise around you had to push it like a less powerful Tyco just arriving at the corners a lot quicker than you would with a standard car. In the off season I concentrated on grip, still with stock orientation magnets though, and I knew within a couple of laps it had worked. It really helped that the Slottech is so similar as Clive and I messed about with them a lot before the neo pro mods came along.

Going to tidy up a few things before Kesgrave, rear hubs, guide and things but essentially running the same car before a rebuild and a look at the electrical system for HONK. I guess by then we'll have an idea where we are with it.

It may be that it's already had it's finest hour and as Andy wondered it was a track that suited it, and not just for the obvious reasons. When it went wrong on Sunday it went really wrong, white lane was a shocker and I do wonder if I could learn a longer track well enough to push as hard as I did Sunday. In yellow lane I made a couple of mistakes and worrying I had blown it led to a few more.

So the best advice I can give to Lee is what Don Stanley said to me and Clive in the 90's, if you crash make sure you do two clean laps afterward at all cost, it really doesn't matter how quick they are just do them. It sounds really twee but corners build laps, laps make heats and heats make meetings. Easier said than done I know, look at how I drove last year

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Possibly i'm looking for every excuse to what wrong when in fact should look in the mirror. It just frustrating when I know I got the pace to do better national results than I am at present. I mean won Tyco F1 at SCHORC, 3rd and 4th in SCHORC Super F1, 1 A final at WHO and just missing out on another 2 by couple of laps, 2nd place at HONK NASCAR also my performance with a standard Tyco at FLBT last EAHORC season, oh and also the NASCAR final at Edmo which I should of won but threw away by crashing. Just hope one day will click, fingers crossed

· Banned
8,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm fairly confident on those occasions you crashed less than on the bad days.

The Don Stanley advice is solid. My aim in a final is to not be the first to crash, and when I do crash avoid crashing again until somebody else does. I also hang back in turn one on the first lap unless it is an A final, look around the room to see where the dodgy marshals are standing, lots of little things like that.

It is about a lot more than having fast cars....

· Registered
614 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 6 Sep 2012, 07:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm fairly confident on those occasions you crashed less than on the bad days.

The Don Stanley advice is solid. My aim in a final is to not be the first to crash, and when I do crash avoid crashing again until somebody else does. I also hang back in turn one on the first lap unless it is an A final, look around the room to see where the dodgy marshals are standing, lots of little things like that.

It is about a lot more than having fast cars....

Who are they then Deane

· Registered
614 Posts
Hi Diesel, I was only pulling Deanes (tooth) err I mean leg...
When I started out :HO racing I was the same, I think it is just human instinct to try and keep up with the rest of the field. The Jimbo said to me just keep it in the slot and try to have less crashes, this has partly worked!!!!

I was looking at my scores that Al placed on the SCHORC forum and i was putting in some very quick lap times at the start but the total laps were nose-diving.

Now, I will never been the quickest car on the track but my total laps are really improving in qualification, that is until I get into a final and the legs tend to fall off.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Been messing about with my Mega G's today and i'm going to have one with standard guide pin in and one with ISU guide pin, so got both bases covered. I think persisting with the Mega G probably the best bet with OW. As far as my SG+ NASCAR goes I think on a larger track there will be a massively different outcome.

· Banned
8,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
You were flying with your Nascar in the early part of the A final last time out at HONK. It was the crashes later on that cost you the shot at the win when Keith had his wobbles, it was his crashes that done for him.

But keep at it, I think your forget sometimes you are still new at this game, and that the level we race at there is nowhere to hide.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
9 times out of 10 I'm making my first crash of a heat/final when I'm leading and after about a minute start feeling the pressure. More I put myself in them positions more I will get use to it and just become natural and it wont faze me.

· Banned
8,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Even the guys who look very calm when leading, Craig, Andy W, Dave H, probably are not, but they tend not to be the first to crash. I used to be about Andy W's only weakness, but he does it very rarely now.

They have been racing some time now, so it never gets any easier. However, when you come through against all the stuff between you and that big win, it is a hell of a feeling. That is why I don't like things like Derby's Crash and Burn, yes they spread the love around but you can't kid yourself and you may not get the same depth of feeling....

41 - 60 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.