Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I have been avidly reading Tracks and Scenery for the last few months and inspired by the excellent home circuits and the ingenious model-making techniques of all the contributors I have finally taken the plunge.

Today was a step nearer to my plans becoming a reality for a permanent home track which I've been thinking about for a few years and this morning at 9.15 a cement mixer lorry arrived and by 10.30 there was the base for a 18'6" x 10' summerhouse.

base.jpg

I intend to have a permanent 4 lane circuit with 1960s scenery and will run scratchbuilt 50s and 60s classic slot cars.

I'll keep you posted on developments of the project and hopefully the next photo will be more interesting than wet cement!

David

Attachments

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
David

That is great, I would love to be able to have a building of that size for a layout.

Please keep us informed of construction, the building as well as the layout!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
75 Posts
OOOHHHH!!!!!

I think I just got jelous..(sp?)
I wanna do that tooooooo, but I do think my mrs would kick my b***s
pretty hard if I presented this idea for her

keep up the good work and keep us updated will you....

·
DT
5,195 Posts
That's perfect. A shed purpose-built for a slot car track.

Please keep us posted with information and photos.

Good luck with the project

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the interest in my track, Catman I have a very supportive partner who tolerates - even encourages my motor racing fixation and in fact she comes to most of the race meetings, mind you there was some delicate negotiation to get this project past her!

The next stage is Monday when the wood is delivered and construction starts in earnest, fingers crossed for good weather.

David

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Great stuff David I have a simmilar size shed at the bottom of my Drive housing a soon to be expanded 50ft carrera track,as I live out in the wilds of darkest Lancashire 25-30 mile in any direction from a track it is some times difficult to get to the club so the track in the shed is invaluble when testing ,My wife too is good about my hobby although she did say that I came compete with a spare wirining loom

Good luck with the track david and keep us posted Im sure it will be some thing to see when finished

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (David Lawson @ 14 Mar 2004, 08:53 AM)Thanks for the interest in my track, Catman I have a very supportive partner who tolerates - even encourages my motor racing fixation and in fact she comes to most of the race meetings, mind you there was some delicate negotiation to get this project past her!

David

Don't get me wrong here.
My mrs has supported me all the years I competed in roadracing and she has a genuine motorinterest too. She has a Honda VFR400R, imported from England a few years ago..
BUT..
We have a 19 months old daughter and another kid on the way.
We have just bought our first house and we do have some work to do for a few years. She doesn't mind the slotracing but if I presented the idea about a purposebuilt shed...I think she would flip totally

I'm still working on getting a track in the basement or in the garage....

keep up the good work David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
woodtreatment.jpg

A lorry load of timber arrived Monday morning which kept Gareth busy treating it for much of the rest of the day. I haven't mentioned Gareth before, he is a fellow slot car enthusiast, model-maker and collector of Matchbox Toys who just by happy coincidence is a builder and is getting me through the first part of the project with his carpentry skills.

So I've shown you all a picture of wet concrete and now a pile of wood - I promise the pictures will get more interesting soon.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, the weather is improving so we should see some good progress.

David

Attachments

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
David,

Some may find it frustrating, and some may find it inspirational, but we all find it intriguing! Keep it coming!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hmmm! That's what I could do with that space in my backyard!!

You, Sir, are an inspiration!!

Maltese

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
The work continues and the pile of wood is at last starting to be used to build the floor of the summerhouse.

floor.jpg

Once the floor was finished the frame of the building could be started and Gareth worked very quickly along the back and one side and also had the first window in place in no time at all.

backwall.jpg

For the first time the project became more of a reality as we stood inside what was to be the home for the new circuit and we could visualise the available space for the track.

David

Attachments

·
DT
5,195 Posts
What are you going to use as roofing material?

Think about the possibility of translucid plastic sheets to allow natural light in. It would make for excellent photography of the track and cars.

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
David

Looking good.

I'm very keen to see how you tackle the insultaion problems etc, please keep documenting progress.

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
It's really starting to take shape now, I arrived home last night to find the complete frame up and the beginning of the roof in place.

completeframe.jpg

cladding.jpg

A small area of the exterior cladding is also in place.

Alan - There'll be insulation between the frame and the inner and outer skin, I'll post a picture as it happens.
Nuro - The summerhouse has two good sized windows and glazed double doors to the front and a good sized window to the South facing flank so there should be plenty of light. The walls will be plaster boarded and painted in white which should help keep things nice and bright.

David

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Things have moved pretty quickly since my last photograph despite the worrying gale warnings on Thursday night the weather wasn't too bad and Gareth has pretty much finished the outside of the summerhouse.

frontcladding.jpg

MrsDavid came back from two days away at the Ideal Home Show armed with a very neat 3 setting halogen heater which along with the wall and roof insulation and the double glazed windows and doors should prevent any extremes of temperature that could affect the track.

I'll have to start thinking about ordering some track fairly soon and the real fun can begin.

David

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Work and some bad weather has slowed things a little at Earls Hall Park but the roof was finished on Sunday during which Gareth managed to hit his finger with a hammer, he is a very experienced builder and was a bit embarassed about this "new boy mistake". You can see in the picture of the blackened digit the hole he drilled to drain off the swelling - I hope you've all had your breakfast!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
finger.jpg

It took quite a while to fit the double doors yesterday in between gales and hailstorms. The exterior of the summerhouse should be finished in a couple of days and then it's the wall and roof insulation, 4 x 8' fluorescent tubes for plenty of lighting and power points which should see it finished by about next week.

door2.jpg

doors.jpg

Nuro - Gareth has agreed to help out later on when the track base is being built, he reckons that as he may have the odd race on the track in the future he might as well offer some assistance in it's construction.

Mrs David and I have been checking out suitable floor coverings, window blinds and paving for the area in front of the summerhouse.

If all goes well I should be able to post a couple of pictures of the completed building in a few days.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Things are moving pretty fast uh???

In this time you've managed to put up an entire building( small but not the less...), All I've managed to do to my track is:
Scratchbuild some sideborders for the outercorners, double innercorners and a few standard corners. just painting left now.

I've also made a hole in my economy this month by totally destroying one of my favourite cars; Proslot Porsche 911 GT2 "STP". There is nothing left to save actually..
(and no, I will not tell you how I did it...I'm still ashamed about it.)
My friends are still laughing after almost a week now

1 - 20 of 69 Posts