SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
In a couple of posts over the last few days it was asked if races for the maserati 250f/vanwall/merc 196/pre-add and the like would be a good thing, i have had a word with malcolm stoto and he said he would open wolves new wood and tape track for such an event. i think it could be a good thing if it was kept as a light hearted event, rules, scale cars with scale wheels and tyres, posibly split into pre and post war gp cars up to 1960, motors and chassis free choise, as tyres would limit performance, if anyone might like this format, let me know, we will see what responce is forthcoming then go from there mac p

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Hi Mac

Sounds like a great idea....I assume Wolves is somewhere near Birmingham, (I guess with a name like that it would be).

If so I'm game, and it would be good to see these cars all together.

Regards

Alan

PS How about an ERA to go with the Alfa P3B, you know you would like to make one.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
I'm a definite maybe

Agree with the fun and lighthearted aspect being key!

Been racing "Pre60 Grand Prix" and "Vintage" many times over the years at Liphook! The Power & Glory BRM has always ruled the roost in the former class. Now the new Hornby and Cartrix cars are available the field is much more varied.

In fact we start racing them again at Liphook next week, so we could report on the competitiveness of the various RTR offerings!

Mr.M

Incidentally, where in Surrey are you, Driver#8? Perhaps when this event happens we could organise shared transport! Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Good thinking Mr Material. I'm in Guildford.

At the moment I haven't got a built car, just a kit and good intentions, but it's next in line after my small car proxy KdF-Wagen, which should be finished this weekend. If the race is to be in mid-to-late November I should make it to the startline with Seaman's 'Ring winner.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Mac,

A good idea that I would like to take part in depending where and when. In fact I can offer the Netley (near Southampton) wood and braid track for a southern based event if the demand is there.

I think you also need to have a maximum guide-lead rule or specify "no guides visible from above" which would probably be the favourite approach judging by most of the scratch builds I see on this forum.

Tyre material should be specified. Natural rubber, sponge or silicone? One out of the three as they don't mix well.

Presumably any type of hard body material would be allowed resin, glassfibre, wood, injection moulded?

I have not seen the new mass produced Maserati 250F, Vanwall and Mercedes W196 in action but I would guess that scratch built cars would be quicker by quite a distance.

Incidently I have in mind an event for Goodwood TT based cars linked with next years Revival Meeting. Netley is only about 45 mins drive away. I will post more details once the date for the Revival Meeting is known and I have persuaded my wife that she does not really want to go on holiday at the same time!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Dick - The Goodwood TT sounds interesting, a few of us from Southend are planning on staying down there for next years Revival and an evening of 1960s GT cars would be very nice.

I'll second that I hope the MacP cars regulations don't get too complicated, lets keep it fun and simple.

David

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Been running such a class for, oh, 40 years !

In fact, Bob Schleicher of Model Car Racing is hosting such an event inDenver on the 23ed of October. I will be there.

I have no less than:6 Lancia Ferraris(I can't Stop!), 1 Merc 196, 6 Maserati 250 f, 2 vanwalls, 1 rear engined BRM, Lotus 16, Lotus 18, Ferrari 375, 500, 801, 2 Squalos...........all of them Scratchbuilt! As we talk, I am building up a Merc Streamliner, just because.

Love the period.

Looking forward to Macs new body line!

Fate

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
David,

That's the sort of thing I have in mind. I'll start a new thread when I have got things firmer.

When framing rules there is a fine line between over complication and lack of clarity. For example would it be better to debate 0.0025mm on scale tyre width or just set a single width front and rear for each period as Prof Fate did for the 60's F1 series?

The N London Retro rules which were first dreamt up in the late 80's have an optimum overall width, a max and min tyre width and a min tyre diameter for each period. Many people on this forum would not describe them as scale, but adjustment downwards a bit would soon address that. The maximum width rather than pure scale width idea is especially useful as, in the 1934-39 class for example, the field could be dominated by the Mercs and Auto Unions because the prototypes are a lot bigger that the Alfa P3 which prompted this discusion in the first place.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dont worry, there aint going to be pages of rules, i would like it to be a gathering of gentlemen having a fun weekends racing not a lawyers convention looking through the small print. RTR cars{masa/merc/vanwall/etc} as they come, scratcg builts, 1/32 scale +/- 1/32, tyres free choice but no sponge, scale dia, max width.320 inch, no guides beyond front bodywork. apart from these simple rules i think it would be fun. the Wolverhampton club is one of the best locations in the slot world being within Strykers bowling building, the room contails a 150 foot 6 lane scaly track and a 100 tape and wood track, there is a Wimpy bar, toilets , the whole shebang. it,s located about 3 miles from junction 11 of the M6. if this thing gets off the ground ill post a map. i think early next year would be ok, before the big meetings take place, remember its a fun thing mac p

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Mac,
Is it accessible by public transport? As amazing as it seems, some of us don't have cars.... I can get to London easy enought but don't think I'll be hitching a ride up (down?) from London on the M-whatever with a box full of slot cars...

In other words, yes, I'd be tempted to come!
Don

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.