SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Hi Phil,
If the Lotus 18 remains eligible then so should the Low Line Cooper, the T53.
These cars both raced in most of the Grand Prix of 1960, but not before, against front engined Ferraris, Maseratis, Aston Martins etc.
If you exclude all rear engined cars that must also include the Auto Unions and the Bugatti 251.
What I will say about this is that all the later rear engined cars are comparatively small when compared to the front engined cars they raced against and, as slot cars, they are therefore at a disadvantage.
I really can't see the logic behind such a ban unless, of course, you are also going to insist that all front engined cars have their electric motors positioned in the same place as engine of the real car. Fine by me if you do that.

I say 'don't fix what isn't broken'.
Earlybird has been the most popular 'Classic Race Meeting' on the calendar for many years because the entrants like the rules as they are.

I would actually be in favour of re-admitting the voiturettes.
They were banned after Mac and Phil Smith had a big disagreement about a car Phil had built.
I could never understand the logic of this ban as these cars made up a large proportion of the Grand Prix grids before 1950 and were actually the basis for the first 'Formula One' rules established in 1948.
An Alfa 158, as the obvious example, is a voiturette but is currently only allowed to race with it's 1950/51 body style, but is not eligible with it's earlier body style (the chassis remained the same).

Cheers.
Mick.

· Premium Member
3,076 Posts
QUOTE My personal reasoning for leaving out pre-war cars (except for those cars that were dusted off and went on to race in post war Grands Prix) is that we have a meeting in Bills Brooklands event that caters for these pre-war models
Actually Phil you don't.
The pre war Grand Prix Mercedes, Auto Unions and others of that era are not permitted for the Brooklands events.
Cheers.
Mick.

· Premium Member
3,076 Posts
QUOTE Up so early peeing myself laughing at your sense of humour - I still smile whenever I think of the wideboy Jag!
Hi Phil,
Could this be the one you mean?

Don't remind Mac of this car.
It also has a 360degree rotating guide and this picture was taken just before Ralph did a 180 and began lapping against the traffic.
Mac got quite upset about being taken off by it, especially as it prevented him qualifying for the top final.
Cheers.
Mick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.