SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
QUOTE No resin, GRP wood or plastic, lexon or vac forms. Hard Bodies only.????????

Well spotted Steve, this should read Resin, GRP, wood or plastic hard bodies only - No lexan or vac formed bodies.

Alexis - Ortman tyres are permitted as usual - you just can't use sponge or other pure silicon types.

Coop - it does mean never - we'd like to encourage entrants who have never been to a Wolves Classic event before to give it a try. I'd imagine the Maser is ok providing the chassis is not full width (as with the Lancia Ferrari rule) as it is an open wheeler - it is the fully enveloping bodies like the Merc streamliner that is not allowed.

Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi Jon,
This is not official but I have run a Ferrari 500 F2 car at two previous E-B's and the scrutineers seemed happy enough to let them run so I can't see it being an issue this time around.

Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've spoken to Malcolm tonight and the decision is no to the rear engined F2 cars such as the 718 but ok for 2.5 litre F1 cars such as the cooper. The reason the F500 and similar 1952-53 front engined F2 cars are allowed is pretty much as Tony and Bill have already alluded to. Firstly they dont look out of place being front engined machines and secondly for these two years F2 became Grandprixs top formula as there was insufficient competitive genuine F1 machinery available following the withdrawl of Alfa Romeo.
Personally I wanted to make E-B a front engined only meeting as I feel the coopers and lotus 18 of 1959-60 really marked the begining of a different era, I also wanted to allow proper single seater voiturettes such as the ERA's (not wide bodied stripped out sports cars like the maserati A6) as they helped pack out the grids in the late forties and early 50's grand prix meetings and you certainly would not be getting a performance advantage using a pre-war designed ERA but it was felt for this year that we didn't want to change to much too soon so we left things pretty much alone except for metricizing the dimensions rather than working in old Imperial measurements.
I also personally feel the Auto Unions, Bi-Motors and pre-1939 Mercs would be better suited to the Brooklands type 20's - 30's event rather than being allowed in E-B but that's just my opinion.
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi Mike,
Malc is on holiday at the moment so he won't see your posting - I'm sure it's an oversight on his list as I know yours was one of the names he mentioned had booked for EB when we were discussing it the other week so don't worry - just send him a p.m. for when he gets back and he'll sort it out.
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Tif,
Under the current E-B rules the ERA is not allowed, but the highline Cooper & Lotus 18 are - I wanted to change this but was over-ruled for this years event. It would be interesting to find out how many participants feel that in future E-B should be for front engined single seaters that participated in championship Grands Prix (including the 1952-53 F2 Grand prix seasons) from 1950 to 1960 inclusive.
Tony,
As Malcolm asked me to adress any technical queries that arose while he was away I'm going to say no to the 1939 Multiunion II as this really was developed mainly for Brooklands and therefore belongs in Bill's Brooklands Classic later in the year rather than this one.
Regards
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input as I have said I was just wondering what entrants thoughts might be, as EB is organised by committee now under Malcolms Chairmanship I can't say what if any changes will be made for future events and as Mick says there is plenty of mileage in leaving things alone as we have now had around 60 people express interest in attending this year. Ralph the one thing I would object to is EB or any Wolves Classic becoming just another maximum width meeting, we might as well all go "thingy" racing.

I have no real issue with the 2.5 litre Lotus and Coopers being included except that they marked the end of an era for what most people considered some of the most beautiful (front engined) machinery ever to grace the Grand Prix scene.

My personal reasoning for leaving out pre-war cars (except for those cars that were dusted off and went on to race in post war Grands Prix) is that we have a meeting in Bills Brooklands event that caters for these pre-war models and to the same degree the Coopers & Lotus 18 both soldiered on well into the 1.5 litre formula from 1961 and these are catered for in the half tonner event.

Finally here sorry Mick you are quite right the Lowline Cooper is also eligilbe under the current rules.

Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
QUOTE L O L

I might have known this would make you snigger me old mate - more importantly hows the tanker re-furb coming along? Do you fancy a drink on Wednesday as the KMBC are meeting at the pub for a social at 7:30? By the way thank you for helping Dave with his project - I think it will give some people a real shock when they see it!

C U Soon
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
QUOTE Actually Phil you don't.
The pre war Grand Prix Mercedes, Auto Unions and others of that era are not permitted for the Brooklands events.

Anyone can make a mistake said the dalek climbing off the dustbin - sorry Mick It's been a few years since I last looked at Bill's Brooklands rules, but I still think they'd be more in keeping with a 1920s & 30's Brooklands style event than with the later 40's & 50's EB event. However what do I know, I think proper race tracks should have crests and dips but it appears others think we should run on a flat track with constant radius curves, soft padded sides, 25mm wide rear tyres and magnatraction so that no one comes off.

Cheers
phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Ralph,
Me old china you are welcome to come boating or for a drink with us anytime, don't know how you'd cope with the 12mph speed limit set by most local authorities for model boats though? Up so early peeing myself laughing at your sense of humour - I still smile whenever I think of the wideboy Jag!

Bill,
Succinctly put my friend.

Cheers
Phil.

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi Mick,
Yes, that's the beast - I seem to recall Ralph sent it along to Wolves with Mac after that meeting and asked if it was ok for the classic saloons - I think he was trying to induce me into having a heart attack - oh the naughty scamp Ralphy is!

Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi Mac,
No problems, just watch what your up to with those dancing girls of yours, looking forward to seeing the tanker in action when the warmer weather arrives. I'm just thankful Ralph didn't fit chintz curtains to his Jag - I'd have had to have taken the hammer to it if he had!

See you soon
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Jon,
The F500's looking very good indeed, for once I had my race car built and running weeks ahead of the event and was very happy with its performance (for my level of performance that is) until I took some advice and changed the rear tyres for a fresh set glued and trued and now I can't get within 0.5 seconds of my previous lap times - great! I also wound up doing a last minute panic spray job for Lewis's car - so much for being prepared. Still looking forward to a week on Sunday any one else going to follow jon's lead and show pictures of their cars for this years E-B?
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi Folks,
Just a quick reminder that doors open at around 10:00 on Saturday for practice and 8:30 on Sunday morning, please don't come any earlier as you will be blocking the car park entrance. Some interesting stuff last night with some quick EB cars some mid pace and some clearly in need of a lot of changes before Sunday. My Merc is only mid pace in my hands but recovers from some great tail out slides and I even managed to do some great LMP nerfing with it! (I haven't had so much fun in years - pray your not trying to go outside me on Sunday!)

Sadly GT can,t attend as he's snowed under with work and he's got to work Sunday but I understand that PP, RS, SMK, OCAR and Charles Fitzpatrick should all be in attendance with goodies to peruse and purchase.
See many of you on Saturday and many more on Sunday - looking forward to it
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
notQUOTE decided what to do with the uber-grippy front tyres yet! (dont want to low grip them, as they'd make great rears for something else

Simon, coat them with a clear nail varnish then when you want to use them as rears later you can just peel the varnish off as it forms a shell but doesn't tend to penetrate the tyres themselves. Glad to hear you've got rid of the 30K hand grenade motor!

Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Hi folks,
Just like to add my thanks to Malc for a great event, It felt a bit strange to me not to see Mac and one or two other familiar friends, but excellent racing and some superb cars. Well done to Dave Lowe for winning concours with his first ever E-B car - just stunning.

I will post results later today when I get back from work.
Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
Results part one - Qualifying distances all drivers had 4 x 3 minute qualifying heats - distance in laps

1 Mike Thompson 77.67
2 Robbie Davies 77.33
3 Lewis Gough 77.07
4 Mick Kerr 76.42
5 Bill Charters 76.29
6 Dick Smith 76.25
7 Eddie Grice 75.54
8 Rob Wallader 74.98
9 Mark Witham 74.70
10 Chris Adams 74.56
11 Phil Field 73.93
12 Ian James 73.52
13= Mark Cockerton 73.17
13= Roy Pritchards 73.17
15 Mike Langridge 71.18
16 Alexis Gaitanis 70.14
17 Nick Huxley 69.48
18 Ian Fitzpatrick 69.29
19 Tony Condon 69.00
20 Paul Cash 68.50
21 Paul Leyshon 67.76
22 Pete Emery 67.50
23 Bryan King 66.91
24 Ralph Parker 66.35
25 John Moxon 65.72
26 Mike Wall 63.69
27 Andy White 63.56
28 Alan Dove 63.55
29 Phil Insull 63.32
30 Colin Spark 62.45
31 Mike Buss 62.25
32 Alan Shawe 60.98
33 Martin De'Ath 60.81
34 Simon James 59.32
35 Jon Grainger 57.55
36 Dave Buddle 56.98
37 Dave Capelen 55.29
38 Dave Lowe 54.28
39 Ross Trowmans 53.78
40 Maria Gaitanis 50.40

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
EB Results part two - Ladder Finals Results

2x25 lap Grand Final

1. Mike Thompson ® 50 laps
2. Lewis Gough (
50 laps
3. Robbie Davies (Y) 48 laps
4. Mick Kerr (W) 47 laps

25 lap Semi Final
1. Lewis Gough ®
2. Mick Kerr (Y)
3. Bill Charters (
5th o/a
4. Rob Wallader (W) 6th o/a

ladder C (all rest 3 minutes)
1. Rob Wallader (

2. Dick Smith ® 7th o/a
3. Phil Field (W) 8th o/a
4. Eddie Grice (Y) 9th o/a

ladder D
1. Phil Field (

2. Mark Witham ® 10th o/a
3. Chris Adams (Y) 11th o/a
4. Mark Cockerton (W) 12th o/a

ladder E
1. Mark Cockerton (Y)
2. Ian James ® 13th o/a
3. Roy Pritchards (
14th o/a
4. Mike Langridge (W) 15th o/a

ladder F
1. Mike Langridge (Y)
2. Alexis Gaitanis ® 16th o/a
3. Nick Huxley (
17th o/a
4. Paul Cash (W) 18th o/a

ladder G
1. Paul Cash (

2. Tony Condon (Y) 19th o/a
3. Ian Fitzpatrick ® 20th o/a
4. Paul Leyshon (W) 21st o/a

ladder H
1. Paul Leyshon ®
2. Pete Emery (Y) 22nd o/a
3. Bryan King (W) 23rd o/a
4. Ralph Parker (
24th o/a

ladder I
1. Ralph Parker ®
2. John Moxon (Y) 25th o/a
3. Mike Wall (
26th o/a
4. Phil Insull (W) 27th o/a

ladder J
1. Phil Insull (

2. Andy White ® 28th o/a
3. Colin Spark (W) 29th o/a
4. Alan Dove (Y) 30th o/a

ladder K
1. Colin Spark (Y)
2. Martin De'Ath (
31st o/a
3. Alan Shawe (W) 32nd o/a
4. Mike Buss ® 33rd o/a

ladder L
1. Martin De'Ath (Y)
2. Jon Grainger (
34th o/a
3. Simon James ® 35th o/a
4. Dave Buddle (W) 36th o/a

ladder M
1. Jon Grainger ®
2. Dave Buddle (Y)
3. Dave Lowe (W) 37th o/a
4. Maria Gaitanis (
38th o/a

ladder N
1. Dave Lowe (Y)
2. Maria Gaitanis (W)
3. Ross Trowmans (
39th o/a
4. Dave Capelen ® (Ret) 40th o/a

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
E-B Results part 3
please note in previous post lane colours were in brackets and some came out as smileys (
= Blue and ® = Red.

Concours Results - 6 Judges scored cars out of 20 lowest score dropped to give total out of 100 possible points.

1. Dave Lowe - BRM P25 - 92
2. Pete Emery - Auto Union D Type - 88
3. Mike Wall - Alfa Romeo 308 - 80
4. Paul Cash - Offset Maserati 250F - 79
5. Jon Grainger - Ferrari F500 - 78
6. Phil Insull - Ferrari 246 - 76
7. Pete Emery - Lotus 18 - 73
8. Paul Cash - Ferrari Dino - 72
9. Phil Insull - Alfa Romeo 308 - 68
10. Martin De'Ath - Vanwall - 67
11= Alan Shawe - Mercedes W154 - 61
11= Alan Shawe - Lancia-Ferrari -61
13 Malcolm Scotto - Scarab - 59
14= Bryan King - Mercedes W196 - 58
14= Chris Adams - Vanwall - 58
16. Simon James - Ferrari 246 - 51.

Bill will be doing a more in depth report on the events and the finals at a later stage so keep an eye out for that, and I'll try and get some pics on in the next day or so.
Cheers
Phil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.