SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
Hi Mal, me too please, payment at bill's Half Tonner meeting (this was in case you did not get my PM)

Peter

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
You should worry John, I had some serious negotiation to do, my wife's birthday is the 3rd!

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
After speaking to Malcolm yesterday It appears I had not sent a cheque, now rectified, posted 1/2 hour ago...

When I spoke to Phil at Wolves he was threatening to 'tweak' the EB rules a bit and outlaw post war rear engined cars like the Porsche 718 and the lotus 18, I can't see this in the rules so is my Porsche 718 good to go?

Peter

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
Hi Bill, Glad to hear that there is no change to the rules.

And yes, you are quite right, the 718 WAS an F2 car until the 1.5 formula and then it ran as an F1 until the 804 replaced it (although it continued until 1961 with some privateer entries).

HOWEVER

back in the day F2 cars were used to make up the numbers and my car is actually a replica of the factory 718 driven by Wolfgang Von trips at the 1959 German GP at Avus (I also have pics of the same car at the Solitude GP) so in my humble opinion it makes the cut for Early Birds, just as the Ferrari F500 F2 car has in the past.

Picture scanned in from the excellent, if massive, 'Porsche - portrait of a legend' Ingo Seiff's opus on the subject of all things Porsche.

regards Tif

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
QUOTE My (unofficial) thoughts are, no to F2 rear engined models.

Aha, so you are changing the rules

So what about the Lotus 18? Is that OK, it has certainly run in the past EBs?

Whatever, you know me, if the rules say no, then thats the rules and i will abide by them. I presume prewar rea engined are still OK? I was planning on dusting off and updating my Auto union....

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
QUOTE Whatever, you know me, if the rules say no, then thats the rules and i will abide by them. I presume prewar rea engined are still OK? I was planning on dusting off and updating my Auto union....

as I said, whatever

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
Please confirm that the ERA is NOT allowed before I do any more work on the car!

I must say that I can see every bit of logic in not allowing the Porsche 718 and NO LOGIC in then allowing the Lotus 18/cooper T51 as Phil points out these cars were technically advanced and belong with the later F1/GP cars...

I guess I will just have to get a new Lotus 18 body for the Porsche

Shame about the GT models ERA though....

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
QUOTE how many participants feel that in future E-B should be for front engined single seater's

That sounds like a plan to me Phil at least it is unambiguous and therefore easy to administrate...

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
All good stuff but I need to decide what to run
Soooooooooo!

Is an Auto Union still ok?

Having parked my ERA, my Porsche 718

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
QUOTE Tiff,
Under the current rules an Auto Union is ok providing it meets scale dimensional requirements and it is not a streamliner
Ta for the prompt response, I have to say I am glad it is not me having to abitrate/make the final decisions on eligability...

Regards

Tif

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
Sorry to hear your news Graham.

Malc, sorry to say i must miss practise and the meal but I WILL BE at the race on Sunday.

Please fond me space for 5 cars on the sales table.

Cheers

Peter

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
Hi Mal does that mean there are not any rolls/baps/cobs toasties as are usually available?

looking forward to it as ever - see you sunday

Peter

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
I just had a serious bout of food poisoning/Viral infection and I lost 7 KG in 3 days

Shame I have already put 5KG back!

Ah well at least my cars are done (makes a change that).

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
And just to prove that 'lastminute.com' finished the cars....

Sorry about the crummy photos.

[EDIT]
Just made a last minute improvement to the Lotus 18 which now sports a proper white/chequered helmet for innes ireland/Oulton Gold Cup car 1960

· Kitbasher
4,695 Posts
Can I add my thanks to the great team at Wolves. Despite missing the saturday social element (and I did miss it but it was management's birthday on Saturday, 'nuff said) I had a great EB.

I was a bit surprised the judges preferred my Auto Union to my Lotus 18 but I was extremely pleased with 2nd in concours - thank you.

See you all later in the year.

Peter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.