SlotForum banner

EARLY BIRDS 2012

18K views 164 replies 35 participants last post by  Robbie D 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone.
The rules and entry format are detailed below.
The basic format established by Mac P has been retained with only minor changes, all measurements are in metric and the entry format has been changed.
Cars.
Dedicated GP or F1 cars only. No Indy,Stripped Sport Cars or Voiturette's.
Scale.
1/32 +/- 1.5 mm. Ground clearance, min 2mm
Construction
In Line motor configuration only. Build components from any era may be used. No Streamliners. If cars such as Lancia/Ferrari are built please do not fit a full width metal chasis.
Bodies.
Resin, GRP, wood or plastic hard bodies only - No lexan or vac formed bodies.
If an obscure car is built, it would be welcome, but the entrant must provide drawings and supporting literature for the scrutineers. If in doubt,ask.
Guide Position
The guide must not be visible, when the car is viewed from above, in the direction of travel.
Wheels and Tyres
Black rubber only. No silicon or sponge.
Dimensions
Cars upto and including 1951
Rear tyres Min dia. 24mm
Front tyres Min dia. 21.5mm
Max O/A tyre width 7.00 mm. Measured across the sidewalls of the tyre.
Cars from 1952 upto and including 1960
Rear tyres Min dia. 21.5 mm
Front tyres Min dia. 19mm
Max O/A tyre width 7.5mm Measured across the sidewalls of the tyre.
Race Format
3 min. heat on each lane. Top two drivers covering the greatest number of laps,automatically qualify for the 50 lap final.
Step ladder finals. Winner progressing to the next heat.
Track
The International Track will be used. It is planned to complete some minor reconfiguring before the event.
Concours
A panel will be appointed to judge the cars. Cars will be required to run in one race during the meeting.
Entries
1.Everyone who has attended a Wolves Classic meeting this year, will be eligible to enter, by registering their interest and paying the entry fee of ÂŁ7 by Dec 10
2.Anyone who has never attended a Wolves Classic will be offered a place,if they register their interest and pay the entry fee of ÂŁ7 by Dec 10
3.Any places left will be made available to anyone who registers their interest by Dec.10
To register, either post, pm me, personal contact, or by phone 07740 717140
To enter.
Please send a cheque or PO or cash(in person) for ÂŁ7
Cheques and PO should be made payable to "Wolverhampton Scalextric Club" please include your name and address.
Send to
Malcolm Scotto
Aylton
73 Broad Street
Bilston
West Midlands
WV 14 0BZ
We look forward to another memorable event.
Thankyou
Malcolm

See less See more
#127 ·
Hi Mal does that mean there are not any rolls/baps/cobs toasties as are usually available?

looking forward to it as ever - see you sunday

Peter

#130 ·
I just had a serious bout of food poisoning/Viral infection and I lost 7 KG in 3 days

Shame I have already put 5KG back!

Ah well at least my cars are done (makes a change that).

#131 · (Edited by Moderator)
And just to prove that 'lastminute.com' finished the cars....

Sorry about the crummy photos.

[EDIT]
Just made a last minute improvement to the Lotus 18 which now sports a proper white/chequered helmet for innes ireland/Oulton Gold Cup car 1960

#132 ·
Looking good there Pete, looks like I'm taking up your lastminute. mantel.

After last nights debacle, I've changed the motor, guide and front axle thingy, not decided what to do with the uber-grippy front tyres yet! (dont want to low grip them, as they'd make great rears for something else
)

#133 ·
notQUOTE decided what to do with the uber-grippy front tyres yet! (dont want to low grip them, as they'd make great rears for something else

Simon, coat them with a clear nail varnish then when you want to use them as rears later you can just peel the varnish off as it forms a shell but doesn't tend to penetrate the tyres themselves. Glad to hear you've got rid of the 30K hand grenade motor!

Cheers
Phil

#134 ·
Well done to Mike T. for an excellent win, he was pushed all the way by Lewis G. I was sorry to see Robbie D come third after he was so quick in the heats. The competition was very close all the way through the finals, this is what makes it a such a great event. It was a pleasure to watch & participate in the racing today. Well done to all who attended today. It was good to see this event continue. I hope to see you all again next year if not sooner at the Lemans or Tourers later in the year.

My thanks to Malc for hosting the event & Ian for the food & drinks.

Who was the luck person who won the bottle of priceless Wolves red wine. If I was you, I wouldn't drink it. Its probably past its best & should be thrown in the bin. A bit like the Albion, sorry I meant Wolves.

Rob

#135 ·
Hi folks,
Just like to add my thanks to Malc for a great event, It felt a bit strange to me not to see Mac and one or two other familiar friends, but excellent racing and some superb cars. Well done to Dave Lowe for winning concours with his first ever E-B car - just stunning.

I will post results later today when I get back from work.
Cheers
Phil

#136 ·
Hi All.
I hope everyone enjoyed the day, another cracking EB!
I think the Wolves team approach, with Malcolm hosting the event worked very well. Thanks to Rob W and Phil for doing the baulk of Race control, a long and testing job with 40 heats and then Finals!
Congratulations to Mick T, and young 'Pocket Rocket' Lewis on fine drives and super racing in the finals.
A big 'Thank You' to Rob Davies for all his help with the other 'long and testing' job...scrutineering. Most of us would be thrilled with an EB third place, but Rob's driving and superbly built Merc W196, probably deserved even better, he was the class of the heats until a nasty off on the difficult white lane...next year Rob, next year!
Final thank you's to Sean (Pendle Slot Racing) for his much appreciated sponsorship, and great gift vouchers for the winners and placemen, and to Malcolm for pulling it all together.
Last but very much most important, to all of you guys who came along and supported the event.
Hope we can do it all again next year,
Kind Regards Bill.

#138 ·
Can I add my thanks to the great team at Wolves. Despite missing the saturday social element (and I did miss it but it was management's birthday on Saturday, 'nuff said) I had a great EB.

I was a bit surprised the judges preferred my Auto Union to my Lotus 18 but I was extremely pleased with 2nd in concours - thank you.

See you all later in the year.

Peter

#141 ·
Once again thanks to all at Wolves for a well run meeting. A good early finish is always appreciated by those who have a three hour drive home.

The fact that there are now 6 people faster than me with Early Birds cars will need to be seriously addressed for next year

#143 ·
Ey Up,

Just echoing the others, another great EBs.

Special congrats to Mick, Lewis and Robbie.

Many thanks to all the team for a superb meeting, and Dick, there were 9 people faster than me !!.

Serves me right for being "Last Minute Larry".

See you all at the Le Mans meeting.

Now, which car should I build on the 27th April ??.

VBR Chris A.

#144 ·
Hi
Just
a quick thank you to mal ,phil bill robbie and ian fo rmaking it an enjoyable and well run meet

cheers tony

#145 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (CJA @ 5 Mar 2012, 13:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now, which car should I build on the 27th April ??.
Whatever you decide to build, just make sure you have read the rules & made sure it's eligible before you start

By a process of elimination there must have been 8 quicker than me but remember what Graham Hill said you meet a better class of person further down the field

Appologies to Mike, Lewis, Robbie & Mick.........
Eddie

#147 ·
Results part one - Qualifying distances all drivers had 4 x 3 minute qualifying heats - distance in laps

1 Mike Thompson 77.67
2 Robbie Davies 77.33
3 Lewis Gough 77.07
4 Mick Kerr 76.42
5 Bill Charters 76.29
6 Dick Smith 76.25
7 Eddie Grice 75.54
8 Rob Wallader 74.98
9 Mark Witham 74.70
10 Chris Adams 74.56
11 Phil Field 73.93
12 Ian James 73.52
13= Mark Cockerton 73.17
13= Roy Pritchards 73.17
15 Mike Langridge 71.18
16 Alexis Gaitanis 70.14
17 Nick Huxley 69.48
18 Ian Fitzpatrick 69.29
19 Tony Condon 69.00
20 Paul Cash 68.50
21 Paul Leyshon 67.76
22 Pete Emery 67.50
23 Bryan King 66.91
24 Ralph Parker 66.35
25 John Moxon 65.72
26 Mike Wall 63.69
27 Andy White 63.56
28 Alan Dove 63.55
29 Phil Insull 63.32
30 Colin Spark 62.45
31 Mike Buss 62.25
32 Alan Shawe 60.98
33 Martin De'Ath 60.81
34 Simon James 59.32
35 Jon Grainger 57.55
36 Dave Buddle 56.98
37 Dave Capelen 55.29
38 Dave Lowe 54.28
39 Ross Trowmans 53.78
40 Maria Gaitanis 50.40

#148 ·
EB Results part two - Ladder Finals Results

2x25 lap Grand Final

1. Mike Thompson ® 50 laps
2. Lewis Gough (
50 laps
3. Robbie Davies (Y) 48 laps
4. Mick Kerr (W) 47 laps

25 lap Semi Final
1. Lewis Gough ®
2. Mick Kerr (Y)
3. Bill Charters (
5th o/a
4. Rob Wallader (W) 6th o/a

ladder C (all rest 3 minutes)
1. Rob Wallader (

2. Dick Smith ® 7th o/a
3. Phil Field (W) 8th o/a
4. Eddie Grice (Y) 9th o/a

ladder D
1. Phil Field (

2. Mark Witham ® 10th o/a
3. Chris Adams (Y) 11th o/a
4. Mark Cockerton (W) 12th o/a

ladder E
1. Mark Cockerton (Y)
2. Ian James ® 13th o/a
3. Roy Pritchards (
14th o/a
4. Mike Langridge (W) 15th o/a

ladder F
1. Mike Langridge (Y)
2. Alexis Gaitanis ® 16th o/a
3. Nick Huxley (
17th o/a
4. Paul Cash (W) 18th o/a

ladder G
1. Paul Cash (

2. Tony Condon (Y) 19th o/a
3. Ian Fitzpatrick ® 20th o/a
4. Paul Leyshon (W) 21st o/a

ladder H
1. Paul Leyshon ®
2. Pete Emery (Y) 22nd o/a
3. Bryan King (W) 23rd o/a
4. Ralph Parker (
24th o/a

ladder I
1. Ralph Parker ®
2. John Moxon (Y) 25th o/a
3. Mike Wall (
26th o/a
4. Phil Insull (W) 27th o/a

ladder J
1. Phil Insull (

2. Andy White ® 28th o/a
3. Colin Spark (W) 29th o/a
4. Alan Dove (Y) 30th o/a

ladder K
1. Colin Spark (Y)
2. Martin De'Ath (
31st o/a
3. Alan Shawe (W) 32nd o/a
4. Mike Buss ® 33rd o/a

ladder L
1. Martin De'Ath (Y)
2. Jon Grainger (
34th o/a
3. Simon James ® 35th o/a
4. Dave Buddle (W) 36th o/a

ladder M
1. Jon Grainger ®
2. Dave Buddle (Y)
3. Dave Lowe (W) 37th o/a
4. Maria Gaitanis (
38th o/a

ladder N
1. Dave Lowe (Y)
2. Maria Gaitanis (W)
3. Ross Trowmans (
39th o/a
4. Dave Capelen ® (Ret) 40th o/a

#149 ·
E-B Results part 3
please note in previous post lane colours were in brackets and some came out as smileys (
= Blue and ® = Red.

Concours Results - 6 Judges scored cars out of 20 lowest score dropped to give total out of 100 possible points.

1. Dave Lowe - BRM P25 - 92
2. Pete Emery - Auto Union D Type - 88
3. Mike Wall - Alfa Romeo 308 - 80
4. Paul Cash - Offset Maserati 250F - 79
5. Jon Grainger - Ferrari F500 - 78
6. Phil Insull - Ferrari 246 - 76
7. Pete Emery - Lotus 18 - 73
8. Paul Cash - Ferrari Dino - 72
9. Phil Insull - Alfa Romeo 308 - 68
10. Martin De'Ath - Vanwall - 67
11= Alan Shawe - Mercedes W154 - 61
11= Alan Shawe - Lancia-Ferrari -61
13 Malcolm Scotto - Scarab - 59
14= Bryan King - Mercedes W196 - 58
14= Chris Adams - Vanwall - 58
16. Simon James - Ferrari 246 - 51.

Bill will be doing a more in depth report on the events and the finals at a later stage so keep an eye out for that, and I'll try and get some pics on in the next day or so.
Cheers
Phil

#150 ·
Hi there all..

A big thank you to everyone involved in the EB....

A great days racing and excellent company, well done to all..

All the best.. Martin.

#151 ·
Hopefully I can get some pictures loaded up - here goes!

Mike T receives his trophy and Pendle Slot Racing winners voucher from Malcolm.

Lewis continues to show us how versatile he is - he even built his own car for this one putting some senior "borrowers" I know to shame! Many thanks to Steve Ward at Penelope Pitlane for supplying Lewis the parts.

Third place for Robbie D seemed scant reward for such great driving all day, although he's still smiling bless him!

Dave Lowe looks pleased with his Concours winners prize - not bad for a first attempt at a classic GP car!

Tiff - Why so serious?

He's smiling now he's seen his PSR Concours runners-up voucher though!

Malcolm knows where the camera is but Mike Wall isn't so sure as he receives his Concours 3rd place prize.

Penelope Pitlane's new display stand and models (Not sure our younger members should be looking at this!)

Robbie & Bill hard at work during scrutineering - but can you guess the mystery pate walking across the shot?

Yes - It's our very own Ian James, to think they once had barnets like the hair bear bunch! Bill doesn't know whether to laugh or cry!

A rare shot this - the only time all weekend that the serene Mike T seemed to get himself in a tangle!

That's all folks
Cheers
phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.