SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi heres a custom made car around 1/28th scale.I believe, but im not sure the fiberglass BRM body was made by Carlton-Iredale from Hounslow Middlesex.The company started making bodies around November 1958. The guide is early MRRC.The chassis is the early rail car chassis by MRRC modified. I think the steering unit is also MRRC.Anyway its an early example of a custom built slot car you dont see often. Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Bernard. I think that Carlton car is a Dino Ferrari 246 and is featured in an article in the UK March 1960 Model Maker magazine by Vic Smeed. He said it is 1/24th scale but I am not so sure. The 1/24th wheelbase looks wrong in the magazine picture. I recognised it as I have recently cast a few bodies off a borrowed original Carlton body and made 1 complete car which I was hoping to race it in a 1/24th GP race at the Wellingborough track. So if its not 1/24th its probably banned!

John J

·
Registered
18 Posts
ps oops..tried to send a picture of above car via photobucket but dont really understand this modern technology so it hasnt appeared.

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Hi John, and welcome...

If you've already uploaded your photos to Photobucket, all you have to do is copy the URL address in the second line under your photo on Photobucket, "direct link", go back to SlotForum and hit reply. The fourth icon from the right is the "image" icon. Click on that, past the address in there, click on okay and then poste your reply (in a regular reply you can preview it, not if you use Fast Reply)...

Here's the MRRC rail chassis, which looks kind of similar...

Don

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Bravo John!

One question for you and Bernard: how do you know these are Carlton shells? They must have been pretty rare... I remember the name from Model Maker, but don't think i've ever seen any...

Don

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi don,im now positive its a Carlton shell. Its identical to the one in the article John mentions in The Model Maker from March 1960. I thought it was a BRM because it was green & didnt have those 2 pipes which would have been a give away that it was a Ferrari. I do think these bodies a rare,i know the MRRC chassis is. Thanks John for the great detective work.
The body only came with the windshields & tires & wheels,not the air intakes,cover or exhaust pipes. Thanks,i think ill keep this one,
Bernard

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i was looking around
& i found another Carlton Iredale body,this time a Vanwall.
It is cut out the same. Who ever had it used a newer chassis & wheels,& added 2 little tubes to the inside of the body for mounting the chassis. I guess there may be more hidden around here. Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, just to drag this topic out a bit more,
I notice on a couple of auction sites "Live Auctioneer" and "Invaliable", Carlton Iredale Lotus 11 sportscars have been sold, Not many details but they were 140mm long and had a seat. Anyone seen one?
Regarding the other cars, my freind John M who I borrowed the original Dino from, points out Modelmaker November 1958. It says the fibreglass Vanwall is Scalextric size to match the Scalextric Ferrari and Maserati. Also in December 1959 of the same magazine the resin Dino ferrari and Cooper are said to be 1/24th scale. When making my repro Dino I presumed it was 1/24th and when confronted with two wheelbase sizes for 1958 F1 Ferraris went for the smaller 7' 3" and took off another 1mm to get it to look nearly right.
Regarding identifying originals, as John M says the original bodies are heavy and of very good quality, obviously early, and with very distinctive details. They are easy to identify from the magazine pictures of that time.
John J

·
Registered
272 Posts
A long time ago Roger Greenslade found some Wrenn 152 bits for me, and in the box were some other bits which we were not sure were Wrenn related or not.

I think these are Carlton-Iredale shells.

The Ferrari is 140mm long and the Coopers are 132 mm and 125 mm.

The scales seem to be somewhere between 1/25 and 1/29.

These look like Carlton-Iredale wheels.

The fronts are 28 mm diameter and the rears 30 mm.

Balsa Dust asked about the Carlton-Iredale Lotus 11. Is this the one?

The Lotus is 144 mm long with a wheelbase of 92 mm. This is 1/24 scale. It would make the world's slowest slot car as it weighs 710 g without a motor.

Also the box came with this 1/32 E-Type if anyone wants it.

Regards, Rob

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I find it strange that no-one has replied to this yet as those are pretty interesting items. I love the bodyshells and the wheel inserts are nicely made too. This is a make that I know nothing about.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
True Tom, but in a way these are so amazing, I don't really know what to say... have never held a Carlton-Iredale in my hands, or smoked one for that matter...

Don

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think I have the Cooper with some literature of the Manufacturer I will check I can see the body but will have to find the catalogue.
Regards Allan

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi
Interesting about the weight of that lotus ,was the body made of mazek or something similar as I seem to remember reading that carlton iredale actually made die cast bodies
as well as GRP
I guess the grp shells were for racing and the die cast were for statics
I think thats right but I may be thinking of another manufacturer ,its all a long time ago

cheers tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts