SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the last few week a lot of cars I have been bidding on the prices seem to by sky rocketing anyone else found this?

·
David H
3,724 Posts
No, quite the opposite. I think prices are fairly low at the moment.

It probably depends what you're bidding on. Recent releases generally seem to go for prices close to what you'd pay at an online retailer, but if, like me, you're happy to wait a year or three to pick up a model, there are plenty of bargains still to be had.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
Not something I have noticed myself, but then again I set my max and don't move from it. I have had a few bargains ofl late as well with the best one being a very nice mc12 digital ready for less than the price of a new chip.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I've been watching closely lately, waiting for the pre-Christmas ramp up of prices (to sell, obviously *grin*). So far, I'm seeing
a lot of low sales prices and the only expensive stuff are Buy it Now's that aren't selling. For example...60's Revell kits (Jaguar GT,
Cobra, Corvette etc) that normally will range from $65 to $85 (notably Cobra and sometimes Vettes on the high end) are currently
running low $50's.

I'm seeing a lot of sporadic vintage selling too...including inexperienced sellers with poor descriptions or titles going unnoticed. It's a
good time to shop if you don't mind pouring through a lot of chaff to find the wheat.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
I bought a 1970's Champion of Chamblee 1/24th car last night for £36, considering what vintage parts are going for it was a bargain. By my reckoning if I broke it up I could get £100 for the parts.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
At lot of 'traders' are certainly pushing up their UK prices big time and quite a few of these have become incredibly greedy over the last few months. One in particular has gone loopy with pushing prices up. Why these seem to predominate is that many Joe Ordinary sellers no longer sell through Ebay because they charge so much in after-sale selling fees and have been doing so for a few years. This leaves only the greedy traders. It's a UK thing, mainly. US and European sellers seem less greedy and many US sellers now charge less for what are often crazy postage charges. Spain, however, and Germany have a few sellers who expect you to pay a fortune.

I've just put it all down to a few traders trying to make a buck with free-market economy philosophy gone bananas. Once they push the prices up then the greed of individual sellers still using Ebay is wetted and they shove up the 'buy it now' costs. It's all gone wonky. A bit like global economics.

·
Slot King
2,607 Posts
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 3 Oct 2012, 06:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought a 1970's Champion of Chamblee 1/24th car last night for £36, considering what vintage parts are going for it was a bargain. By my reckoning if I broke it up I could get £100 for the parts.

Nothing unusual there, run of the mill vintage stuff is usually much cheaper than modern, even parts.
People tend to base their opinion of vintage prices on the very few items that will go for serious money, the reality is different.

Joel

·
Registered
627 Posts
i think this is a thread that will revolve as much as ebay prices roller-coaster. from my point of view (bargain basement , virtually zero-ville budget) , prices definately seem to be up at the moment. i've not had a real "steal" for ages. i think a major factor in the lack of bargains is the fact that a lot of sellers taking advantage of "free listing" offers meaning fewer 99p , or less , starting prices.

·
Old Engineer
728 Posts
so, are there other auction sites for selling/buying slotcars aside from ebay (other than the forum for sale sections)?
thanks
speedy

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Would you have posted if you had just sold a bargain for 10% of its retail price? Maybe? Whether its a bargain really depends on if you are on the selling or buying side of the fence. Ramping is not unheard of but you set you max bid price and stick to it. The market then decides whether it was a "fair" ask/sell.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
432 Posts
One thing that I have noticed on Ebay is that a few of the international sellers have increased their postage costs to around $20 AU for a car (unboxed) to Australia. I don't understand why these people even open their bidding to Australians, unless your that daft you wouldn't pay these fees and the cars that they are selling are available on Ebay with the correct rate of postage from another seller, they're not exactly what you call rare models.
The main thing that I have noticed since watching Ebay and reading different forums is that usually once someone has shown a car on the forums and it generates a bit of interest, the prices of this car increase dramatically. I suppose this comes down to supply and demand again as mentioned earlier in this thread.
On the other hand I do believe you can still pick up bargains every now and again, I did purchase a Lotus 16 complete body (new old stock) in original packaging for $5 plus $5 postage to WA from the US a while ago and saw that the same seller has since sold quite a few more with the last Lotus 16 body going for $81 AU. I have picked up a few bargain Lotus 16's from the US around the $15 AU range and am amazed to see the exact same cars selling for bigger dollars. I suppose there will always be people that will pay the crazy prices for a certain car they really want.

Matt

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
Talking about unfair postage has crossed my mind too, but sometimes post to the UK , in my case from the Netherlands is 40 more expensive than the same post back. So you cant just say, its cheaper overhere than it is overthere. Been there, don it still waiting for the T- shirt.

Anyway, I still believe in fair prices and even than people ask you three times how much and can it at discount. Its not one big happy family, so no that cannot be done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The current prices from UK are :

International Signed for £5.95 plus P&P
UK Signed for 95p plus P&P

But don't forget Royal Mail have increased their P&P aswell.
If you take into account packing materials it will come very close to £20 to send to OZ.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It seems common for US sellers to give a high ($20-30) estimated postage and then refund after mailing. I suppose contacting before buying is always a good idea.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The slotcar ebay.de link saved in my favourites folder has taken me straight to Rennbahn & Slotcars and appears to be working fine for me as searching on "Scalextric" turns up just over 1400 listings which is the kind of figure I would expect to see. Dont ask me how it works but sometimes you need to sign in on say German ebay to see the search results from sellers from that country, though doing that this morning has not turned up any more results.

CB

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
yep, i only usually buy older cars that need some work and the prices now start at £4.99 instead of the ususual 99p. most of these older cars were going for under the £4.99 start that seems common now. but i did steal a polistil 6 wheeler for a fiver, the body 2 pieces and chassis + the 6 wheels. which has now been severely modded, ripper motor change of pinion chassis work to drop the front really low, bolt on guide ect ect. and its my fave car at the moment. you can powerspin the back wheels all the way round bends if you want to. john

·
Registered
747 Posts
A month or so before christmas i had an experience with a Trader (not a private sale) in which i bid on an item with 15secs to go and got outbid with 2secs to go.
Nothing wrong with that i hear you say and you'd be quite correct. Literally 1minuite after the auction ended i received a "2nd chance offer" to buy the item I had just just been outbid on for the price I was outbid at. I accepted the offer as it was what I considered to be a fair price.

Last week I bid on another car and exactly the same thing happened
I then noticed that it was the same Trader as when the previous occurence happened

Needless to say this time I didn't accept the "2nd chance offer" and within 12 hours the item was relisted "due to a TIMEWASTER!" I will not be bidding on anything listed by this Seller again.

Cheers.
Nik.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts