SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lock down means there's been plenty of time to dig through the archives and work out how the Association started way back in 1961. Here's the story so far http://www.slotcarracing.org.uk/rules/origin.html If anybody out there knows more about the early years of the Association, it would be good to hear from you.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
This is covered extensively in Chapter 3 of Tony Condon's book "History of Electric Model Car Racing in Britain". Tony is of course a contributor to this Forum.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for that GP

I'd very much recommend Tony Condon's book "History of Electric Model Car Racing in Britain", I think he still has copies available (his Slot Forum name is superhornets).

I did talk to Tony when I was writting that article on the BSCRA web site, he was very helpful.

There's many more old magazines etc. online now than when Tony wrote his book, so it seemed worth going through the original info again. I found the info Tony's book was based on, plus a few extra articles and letters came to light.

Magazine articles from about 1964 ish talk about ECRA Newsletters. I've had no luck finding copies or even finding anybody who remembers anything about them.. Just maybe some ECRA newsletter from around 1964 are still gathering dust somewhere. If any do survive it would be very interesting to see what they say.

·
Administrator
9,699 Posts
Thanks Chris, just took a quick look.

When I was studying this a couple years ago, probably in answer to a question here, or some other purpose, I was surprised by the gap bectween the original announcements, ca 1961, and when it seemed to be effectively formed, more like 63-64.

As you say, there's a bit of mystery about what exactly they were doing in the interim.

Would you concur with that? Have you been able to find out any more?

As usual, getting any organization off the ground, especially a national one, takes a lot of grunt!

Don

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Don

Yes there are some mysteries about what was going on in the early 60s.

Laurie Cranshaw's involvement in setting up ECRA and running the early national championships from 1961 is recorded in magazines - much of this was written by Laurie himself. He seems to have been primarily interested in rail and to have taken all or part ECRA in that direction even though the survey he conducted in 1960 showed there was much more support for slot than rail.

What were the slot racing enthusiast doing from that 1960 survey until the "ECRA National Slot Racing Executive" appeared in print in 1963 under Gordon Wrigley's leadership? Clearly the slot racing clubs existed and for at least some of that time were in contact with one another. From what I've been told, there was some friction between Gordon and Laurie.

ECRA's records were passed on to me when I took on the Associations secretary's job from Dick Smith. These only go back to around 1965, so it seems they only go back to when Jock Thin was ECRA secretary. Prior to 1965 the magazines say there were newsletters and also minutes of meetings which didn't appear in the magazines. Copies of these haven't come to light; I suppose there's just a chance copies might be found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts