SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
If my calculations are correct a 1/24th scale 1/4 mile is 55 ft. long. I recall setting up the Eldon dragstrip with something like 50 ft. of track, using some of the extra long (1 ft.) straights, several years ago. The real problem was that one lane has the rails overlapping in the direction of travel and the other lane has the rails overlapping against the direction of travel meaning that that car's braids are hitting the edge of the rail ,slowing it down.
When new, from the factory, the "slow down tunnel" was fitted with a " J cloth" which was biege in colour (I still have it). This cloth flew out of the tunnel on impact and kept the cars from getting broken. At the time we set it up, the fastest car was a Strombecker 1/32 Lotus 30 with a TC32 motor in a brass chassis, original tires.
There was another drag strip set I have seen, not exactly electric slot racing but used clockwork spring motors in a slot track, made by Hubley.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just remembered how the christmas tree lights worked. First the yellow lights would light up, starting at the top , then middle , then lower, then the green, however, if you started before the green came on , you would get "red lighted" instead and be disqualified. There is a key winder to power the clockwork mechanism that powers the timer coundown .

·
Registered
169 Posts
That Republic set looks like fun! Great shots of the Hubleys, love to get more info on the motor conversion. If I recall the instructions I saw , it said basically remove the clockwork mechanism and improvise an electric motor installation but these look factory made. Is there any more info on that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts