SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to catalogue my slot cars after a couple of recent unfortunate duplicate purchases. Oopth ! Anyway, as I was digging through my boxes I found this old oddity. It was given to me by a friend in the USA some years ago. I think I tried it back when he gave it to me, found it to be a non-runner, and promptly packed it away and forgot about it. Having rediscovered it, I decided to check into its history. Under the guideblade is the name Eldon, which I have to say is a new one on me. After a quick search, it seems that the name is quite well known among the vintage fans. (My own tastes run to the more contemporary, I'm afraid.) So, I thought I'd post up a couple of pictures of it.

Eldon Industries Ford Thunderbird (for those of you watching in B&W, it's bright orange)

DSCF1706 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1708 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1711 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1715 by stoooo, on Flickr

I was interested to see that the chassis adjusts for length. Kind of logical really; make one chassis, then just ensure your two mounting posts on whatever body you choose to make fit within its range of travel.

DSCF1713 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1714 by stoooo, on Flickr

Cheers,
Stuart.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Thanks Stuart - for the bad memories! I was just one of the hundreds of thousands of American kids who started out with an Eldon set (about 1962 I think), and it was not great to say the least!

Eldon was really synonymous with mass retailed toys in the US, and they produced for quite awhile and probably moved a lot of product! Very definitely on the toy side, cheapo variety, except for a brief foray into commercial slot car kits, the Concours series, a Ferrari 250LM in 1/32 and a BRM F1 in 1/24, both powered, or underpowered by 13D can motor.

They did do one of, if not the first electronic system, the Eldon Selectronic, and I think that worked fairly well. Not multiple cars, but 2 in a lane, and lane changing.

The predecessor was another toy manufacturer, Ungar, that came out with a simple flat figure 8 set in 1960, using roadster type bodies and the wheels mounted directly on a 3V Kako motor - quickly moved up to inline gear drive, then vaguely sports car bodies with worm drive, which is where I came in...

I'd put up some photos, but it's all kind of depressing...

Don

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tee hee. You guys are funny. One man's meat...

QUOTE (loosesalute @ 24 Apr 2012, 14:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That`s a lovely car Stoooo.
Is another man's poison...

QUOTE (dgersh @ 24 Apr 2012, 14:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Stuart - for the bad memories!

<snip>

I'd put up some photos, but it's all kind of depressing...

QUOTE (dgersh @ 24 Apr 2012, 14:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They did do one of, if not the first electronic system, the Eldon Selectronic, and I think that worked fairly well. Not multiple cars, but 2 in a lane, and lane changing.
Is that one of those AC systems rather than DC then ?

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Never thought of that Stoooo.....but I`m a real sucker for glossy old plastic...if it was mine I`d be sitting polishing it to death with the old Autoglym.... & it has so much character!
Cheers,
Kev

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
I would guess around 64-65 Pertti, but not that sure... the trouble for me with Eldon is that they didn't advertise in the hobby magazines, so it's sometimes hard to find out any printed informatiion on them! They would mostly be in the big department store and toy catalogues, including Sears, Toy R US, etc. I'll look at my docs to see if I can find anything...

Don

·
redstar
1,575 Posts
Heres some unusual Eldon news letter magazines sent to Eldon buyers. Its called the Pit Pass.These are vol3,#2,& vol2,#3. They are from 1964 & 1965. They show Eldon custom tracks,new Eldon products,racing news,etc. Enjoy,Bernard

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Thanks Bernard, I had forgotten about those! They were actually pretty well done, at least as well as the Strombecker Table Top Topics and Inside Track!

Your pages show one of the major Eldon collectibles: a 1/24 scale dragstrip, with a couple nicely done top fuelers.

Eldon was also involved in real racing for awhile: they set up a tent and slot track at Riverside to promote their products and the hobby, in 64 or 65 I think, and even sponsored Dan Gurney! I've got a photo of that somewhere...

Don

·
Registered
942 Posts
QUOTE (pertti jarla @ 27 Apr 2012, 07:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When were those extremely simple Eldon Go-Karts made? I still haven't figured that out.

I think in 1962.

List of 1:32 slot Eldon cars :

0 500 car " Indy " ( by Ungar 61-63, de escala X )
00 Ferrari TR " de Luxe car " ( 62-63, de escala X )
000 Kart ( 62, de escala X )
1º Chevrolet Impala´62 " stock car " ( 63-65 )
2º Ford Thunder Bird´62 " stock car " ( 63-65 )
3º Pontiac Boneville´62 " stock car " ( 63-64 )
4º Plymouth fury´62 " stock car " ( 63-64 )
5º Ferrari 246 Dino SP" sport car " ( 63-66 )
6º Chevrolette Corvette Sting Ray" sport car " ( 64-67 )
7º Porsche RSK " sport car " ( 64-65 )
8º Lotus 23 " sport car " ( 64-65 )
9º Formula car " Indy " ( 64-68 )
10º Chevrolet´39 " crash jalopy " ( 65-67 )
11º Ferrari P330 LM " concours " ( 65 )
0000 Dragster ( de escala 1:24 )
12º Lotus Ford " Indy " ( 65-68 )
13º Offy " Indy " ( 65-66 )
14º Dodge " Truck " ( 65-66 )
15º Dodge Coronet ( 65-66)
16º Dodge Charger ( 65-68 )
17º Ford Mustang Shelby GT 350´66 ( 66-68 )
18º Indy Lotus Ford type 38
19º Ford GT Roadster ( 67-70 )
20º Ford 2J ( 67-70 )
21º Chaparral Roadster ( 67-69 )
22º Chaparral Fast-Back ( 67-69 )
23º Ferrari P4 ( 67-70 ) ref 3707
24º Porsche Carrera 6 ( 67-70 )
25º Chevy Camaro´67 ( 67-70 )
26º Dodge Coronet´68 ( 68-69 )
27º Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra 500´67 ( 68-69 )
28º Dodge Charger´68 ( 68-69 )
29º Chevrolette Corvette´68 ( 68-70 )
30º " Buggy " Dune ( 69-70 )
31º Chevy Camaro´70 (70 )
32º Ford Mustang´70. ( 70 )
33º Volkswagen Kakerlake (71)
00000 snowbike ( scale X )
34º Porsche " Can Am ".( by Cox 70-71 )
35º McLaren " Can Am ". ( by Cox 70-71 )

Dan Gurney and Eldon

·
Registered
942 Posts
Bernard, do you can photograph or scan the Eldon magazines " Pit pass " for us, please ?. They´re hard to find.

As Don says, " Table Top Topic " and " Inside Track " magazines of Strombecker are online in VSRN.
http://www.vsrnonline.com/Library/Strombec...pics/index.html
http://www.vsrnonline.com/Library/Strombec...rack/index.html

You can see all the TTT and almost all Inside Track. I´ve the others missing Inside Track of 1965 and 1966, you can ask me for the private message and I can the scan you. I have not the 2 numbers of Inside Track 1967 and I´m looking for.

Thanks.

·
redstar
1,575 Posts
Hi Jose,heres the Eldon Pit Stops.You will notice an article on the T Bird.What a coincidence !
Ive included a photo of some of the museums Eldon T Birds.Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks Bernard.

Eldon is considered as a toy and usually the writings that talk about slot car are not related to this brand. Despite the large amount of literature, Eldon is a brand unfortunately quite difficult to classify due to lack of attention.

The official journals of Eldon "Pit Pass" are therefore very valuable because they talk about the news, although they are very difficult to find.

Competition from American brands in the market for slot was fierce, so the subsidiary of Strombecker "model road and racing" made in 1963 a range of competing products called "accesories group" and other articles. In 1964 Revell made its range of parts for competition "winner's circle." As can be seen in the official magazine, Eldon made in 1965 its own range of competition that called "Eldon Speed Shop". Is a very simple range of products consisting of the following items:

12V engine marketed as "XM30", which replaced the 6V engines, aluminum wheels which replace the plastic, guide, tires, contact braids.

The customer can buy them separately and tune any of their cars. The magazine cites the tuning of a T-bird. The T-bird is actually one of the 4 cars called "stock cars" placed on the market as a novelty in 1963.

e1 Chevy Impala'62 (63-65) old ref 3842, new reference 3886. White, yellow, red and blue.
e2 Bird'62 Ford Thunder (63-65) old ref 3843, new reference 3887. White, yellow, orange, red and blue.
e3 Bonneville'62 Pontiac stock car "(63-64) old ref 3844, new reference 3888. White, yellow, orange, red and blue.
e4 Plymouth Fury'62 (63-64) old ref 3845, new reference 3889. White, yellow, red and blue.

The same parts were included in the competition:

e5 Ferrari Dino 246 SP (65-66) ref 3975 injected into white, yellow, red, blue.
e6 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray (64-66) ref 3936 white, yellow, red, blue and metallic blue.
e13 " Offy" Roadster (65-66) injected in red ref 3976.
e18 Indy Lotus-Ford (65-66) injected into white ref 3977.
e18 Indy Lotus Ford (1966) injected into white ref 3946

All this technology is intermediate between the standart and high competition considered "concourse".

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Stuart
I had to say I love the Eldon cars myself, They were simple but beautiful. I had a old baby blue Thunder Bird with a wieght in the back held in by the rear bumper.

I belive it was lead. I found that my one Eldon had a PT-16 12 volt or SP-500 12volt from the Eldon speed shop series. I sold it a long time ago so Im going by memory of the motor number. The crown gear was double sided for quick for change for high and low torgue
It was fast for my littel home track.
I would have liked to have couple pictures to post but my old computer crashed taking all my old photos of that time.

Cheers
Rick

·
Bob Chapman
6,909 Posts
Cool thread you started Stooo, I've a mate that got his start in slots with Eldon from Simpsons Store in Toronto.
He now religiously collects them . More of a nostalgia thing, but he loves to restore them, kind of like Kev.
Every once in a blue moon he gets three out for a laugh on race night, horrible runners in stock form by todays standards
But then he'd race wheelbarrows if he had too. Even goes by Eldon John hehe
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
All those efforts by the two "engineers" hovering over the 1:1 Porsche, and they still missed 1/32 by a mile!! But outside of the "concours" series, I can't remember any of the literature or packaging listing a scale anyway! Probably a good strategy for a toy manufacturer. My "collection" has been assembled from stuff that came in a box with the other stuff I really wanted. Early on I converted a junk Corvette body into a Grand Sport (with Revell running gear underneath), and just recently assembled a "Baja Bug" from bits and their rare, later anglewinder frame (growing up in S. California, we loved these and dune buggies and bugs in general). Though I like them, the great downfall of the earlier stockers is the lack of interior and driver; hope to remedy that someday in mine. The Speedshop stuff mentioned is extremely rare (I haven't found any), but I had the opportunity to race on a large 4 lane setup with all SS equipped cars about 20 years ago with a local collector; great fun!! Steve at Tiny Motors here in the states, was, up until recently, mfg. great replacement tires for a number of the wheel styles for these. He has since gone on a medical leave from it. Hope he gets back to it as the tires make outstanding runners out of these. My favorites, of the ones I own, for reasons either of scale "accuracy" or just coolness, are:
Mustang GT350 (by the way, the only true racing GT350 in 1/32 from vintage manufacturers!)
Baja Bug
68 Dodge Coronet
Ferrari 250LM, concours series

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
It looks like there is a wired in lane change control for each XLC but none in the picture for the escape route.
Very interesting.

I don't recall seeing this when I got my Eldon set back in the 60's!

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts