SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my power problem with my Scaley Sport set, problem-solvers...

After redesigning my layout yesterday, both cars began crawling around the circuit. I broke the layout down further to a simple small loop (to try and eliminate dodgy track as the culprit), but they still crawled.
I took one car off the track and the remaining car still crawled around - until I pressed both controllers at once and it went back to racing at normal speed.
Next I unplugged one of the controllers and the remaining car was great. With 2 controllers plugged in (and only one pressed) it reverted to crawling. I swopped the controllers over and the same result - so nothing wrong with the controllers. I only have/need one transformer which came with the set and the switch on the powerbase is flicked over to reflect this accordingly.
I'm guessing that I've got to take the powerbase to bits and look for loose wires etc, but that's what separates us guessers from you experts, guys

~Native~

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
so 1 controller plugged in drives a car normally, and if you move the controller to the other socket, the car in the other lane drives normally

same with just the other controller - it drives a car in either lane fine?

if this is the case, then I totally agree that it must be the powerbase. If the fault shows up in any of the four examples above, then more data is required!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE so 1 controller plugged in drives a car normally, and if you move the controller to the other socket, the car in the other lane drives normally

same with just the other controller - it drives a car in either lane fine?

No! - just ran downstairs to check again - here's another weird thing I discovered..

1 controller (either controller plugged into either socket) will race both of the cars at the same time on separate lanes
Could well be screwdriver time in the morning

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ah hah! good detective work!

definately broken base station, but as you say - maybe a screwdiver and peak inside (the old 'take it to pieces and then put it back together' method) might sort it out!

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Sounds like you have designed a track with just one crossover track piece in it or installed powertap cables and gotten the lanes mixed up.

With one controller able to control cars on both lanes, obviously power is going to both lanes through that one controller.

The cars go slowly because the other controller is still in the circuit, and not being depressed, it presents a high resistance.

If neither of the conditions in the first paragraph apply you can do a visual inside the powerbase but there isn't much to see there. Also check the wires coming off the PB circuit board connecting to the lanes underneath. Hard to imagine how these would get mixed up, though.

This link explains how brakes work and along with that how the track is wired. Scaley uses negative polarity. The PB contains two diode rectifier circuits with an RC filter to convert the AC from the wallwart into DC. You only use both rectifier circuits when you have the little blue switch set to two wall warts.

Last thought, you don't have two PBs in your layout, do you?

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Native,

To see what your PowerBase should look like inside scroll down to the post from Sidecar Steve in this thread.

There is more than you will probably ever want to know about the guts of the PB in that thread. It is from the Master Classes forum. If you can't find help here in the cars board post your question in Master Classes and also in Tech Q&A at www.slotcarillustrated.com.

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
D'oh!

The images are gone from the thread! Here's a scan from my printout:

Hope it is helpful. You are looking for some way the circuit for one lane is cross connected to the circuit for the other lane. The cars crawl because both controllers are in the circuit for each lane. You can control both lanes from either controller for the same reason.

As I said before, the easiest way to create this situation is to design a track with a single crossover. It will work, and your car will lap in one lane then lap in the other, but you can't have two controllers connected to the PB at the same time.

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was hoping that you wouldn't ask and we could just brush it under the carpet

QUOTE Sounds like you have designed a track with just one crossover track piece in it

~Native~

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
No need to be shy, Native, I couldn't have guessed if I hadn't done the same thing myself with Scaley booster cables!

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.