SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
800 Posts
I tend to go overboard so I won't quote any wire sizes as being mandatory. I'd suggest 12g stranded copper wire going to each lane. When you say RF45, do you mean RJ45 connectors like those used on standard Cat5 cables? If so, don't bother with them. They are designed for low voltage and are solid wire. I'm currently using 13g wire on my controller and alligator clips. All the fancy connectors are neat looking but the standard is alligator clips because guests aren't always going to have the right connectors to use with your track.

Those are just suggestions. Take them as you will.

Oh, you can use the Cat5 as signal wire if you have a desire to use it.

· Registered
800 Posts
Your only concern should be burning the house down
Nah, in reality the wire will probably fail first if it is too thin.

The factory power pack wires ARE thin, way too thin. However, the factory power pack has very low amperage so there is no danger. You'll be happiest with a minimum of 1 amp per lane. Two amps per lane is better and three amps per lane is very good. Running higher amperage will burn up the thin wires in a hurry. Even if they last they will not get all the amperage to the car so you still lose.

I came from the HO world so in the 1/32nd arena I'm a newbie too

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.