SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a box of Faller AMS track I recently purchased from EBay (for my Italian Job Track http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53299 ), there was an electromechanical lap counter. The Lapcounter bit is probably beyond redemption but the track seems in good order...It consists of two simple push to make switches..see below

Would it be possible to connect this to a suitable cable (parallel or USB) to I could use trackmate or laptimer 2000 etc, and if so could you recommend someone with the electrical and soldering skills to do it for me.

Thanks
Simon

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
This looks far too nice to hack about, and there's probably a collector in Germany/Belgium/Netherlands crying out for just that bit! Using the existing push-to-make arrangement would be viable with Trackmate with no mods to the track, I think.

If not, hacking a normal piece of straight is going to be just as easy as the key to this is going to be to create a dead section for the cars to trigger as they pass through, and I believe with Faller you also have the four cars on two lanes complexity to think through? This should also be possible if I'm right in thinking the bottom of the slot is negative and the left and right rails are positive, or vice versa.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the replies..Rob don't worry the track isn't a rare part, it's not in that good a condition and does need some repair hence my wanting to modify it.
So if I infer correctly if I get a cheap mouse and wire the switches on my track instead of the mouse button microswitches I should be able to use the software that has been posted in the £4 thread. (I have tried to trawl through the thread but some of the original links don't now work). How would I wire up the switches if I wanted to use laptimer 2000 or trackmate ?Do I just wire them to the parallel port connector as on the electronics laptimer page of.....
http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/

Oh and Rob the wiring of the track is the same as every other slot track, the groove has no power. Running 2 cars on one lane is achieved by half wave principle and diodes in the car (I have decided not to do this on my track)

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
Hello,
Laptimer would be easy also - simply wire in the "switches" instead of the opto-sensors. I would reccomend putting series resistors in as well though - around 1,000 ohms.
I'll happily make up a cable (to 15 way printer port) for this - what is the internal diameter of the sockets at the side? Using those plus the common brown wire means no need to alter the unit.

Am intrigued byt the "white bits" - are they for manual operation ?

Kind regards, Leo

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The white bits are for manual operation..to move the analogue counter back to 0 I think. I'll check what ports I have on my old laptop and check the diameter of the plugs (the original Faller plugs are a but rubbish to be honest). I can send you the track piece if it would make life easier. Just PM me a cost..(please do include a rate that is fair for your time as I already owe you one)..

Regards
Simon

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
Ooops, I should have said 25 way printer port, not 15. On the computer it would be a socket (ie have holes). Will you be able to solder the wires on to the track piece ?

Leo

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leo...The old laptop I will be using has a 25 pin printer port and I should be capable of soldering to the track connections

Regards Simon

PS: take a look at my italian job thread and see what arrived today

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
Hello Simon,
I'll do the job this weekend.
Am finding the forum very slow this evening - grrr.

Leo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts