SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Just wondering whether some details on how they work in slot cars would be useful... e.g.

1/ Light emitting diodes and how to select series resistors for correct function.

2/ How bipolar transistors can be used to switch lighting circuits.

3/ How MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors) are used to drive SSD track waveforms.

4/ How to detect IR (Infrared) ID signals using photodiodes or phototransistors.

5/ Operational amplifiers and comparators - who cares?

6/ Hall effect sensors to detect under-track magnets.

If you are interested in any of the above, please confirm below... I am sure useful contributions will be forthcoming from our online electronics gurus...

C

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
1,2,3,4,and 6 for me please Clive.
I am a total idiot in these matters.
I have however seen under track magnets used in the old Scalex system for self driven competition cars for solo racers.
Bob

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so, 3, 6, 1,2,4 in that order... each with a few days interval...

C

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I'd be interested in learning too please on pretty much anything that's being discussed.
dribble.gif

Will these things be discussed in this particular forum section or elsewhere?

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Yes idea is the create informative posts on this sub-forum.

I am currently doing some prep on:

Item 3... How MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors) are used to drive SSD track waveforms.

It needs some nice diagrams and nice explanations :)

C

Reactions: Slotspeed

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
In experimenting with my 2.4Ghz rc slot cars I would like to see how many discrete signal systems, using a combination of IRs, hall effect sensors, etc. mounted in various physical orientations can be used to inexpensively count laps/manage races for multiple cars running across multiple lanes.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
In experimenting with my 2.4Ghz rc slot cars I would like to see how many discrete signal systems, using a combination of IRs, hall effect sensors, etc. mounted in various physical orientations can be used to inexpensively count laps/manage races for multiple cars running across multiple lanes.
If you have the patience to translate German, there are people who have cloned or recreated Carrera digital systems with upgraded features. For me, I prefer to tinker a little bit or learn about one particular part of a system rather than recreate a whole system that can just be bought.

But you could potentially figure out a frequency based ID system fairly easily and trigger a traditional analog timing system with the output. (i.e. car transmits a specific frequency waveform by way of infrared LED and is decoded by a photo transistor equipped detector circuit) if you're keen you could use other ID methods if you want to learn about low level digital communications protocols.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am certainly an idiot regarding electronics but there are unused power ciruits in the car's receiver/ESC board; e.g., the switched car power light, the intermittently powered steering servo circuit, even the main leads to the battery (which I plan to remove and supply a constant 4-6 volts to to the board via an added slot guide.

Without the battery I can get these .75x.75" boards for $5 each from the manufacturer. All of the 2.4Ghz controllers I already have can can "bind" to these particular boards. Circuit component Passive circuit component Computer Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Viejoronnie, that little board is giving me ideas. A minor disadvantage of the Carrera platform is the 4 bit controller resolution. If the ESC could be modified to work from 15-18V (probably could be with a board redesign) and a Carrera compatible IR emitter code added then you could be driving around on a Carrera track counting laps. The main problem left is lane changing. That could be achieved with an additional receiver wired directly to the lane change (controller) input on the Carrera Control Unit but the problem is that an additional transmission channel is required since the TX and RX are already bound to each other. There are a few other problems too. But could be overcome. Well that is something that may not interest you since you are not using Carrera but thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
All of the DR C,

You can be my guide via your series and I can fix my ignorance with the internet.

At the same time, I'm going to go find that old electronics learning lab set I bought back where there was a Radio Shack store that was dumping stuff as they attempted to become a chain of mobile phone stores. Always wanted to get into some type of digital circuit design and that's probably a good place to start the fundamentals.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Slotspeed

These repurposed boards serve my purposes well as they have proportional speed control and rc brakes.

If I use the oem rc chassis, I have devised a design for a geared guide "pin" powered by the steering servo motor that allows the pin to retract from/reengage the adjacent slot as the car is steered from one lane to another w/o the need for lane change track/mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll happily read into and (try to...) learn all 6 topics. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your knowledge.

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
Fora test
Bob

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Just wondering whether some details on how they work in slot cars would be useful... e.g.
1/ Light emitting diodes and how to select series resistors for correct function.
2/ How bipolar transistors can be used to switch lighting circuits.
3/ How MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors) are used to drive SSD track waveforms.
4/ How to detect IR (Infrared) ID signals using photodiodes or phototransistors.
5/ Operational amplifiers and comparators - who cares?
6/ Hall effect sensors to detect under-track magnets.
If you are interested in any of the above, please confirm below... I am sure useful contributions will be forthcoming from our online electronics gurus...
C
Apologies for the delay in moving forward with the above plans...

So lets start with:

But lets widen to cover the full-H circuits used in SSD powerbases and the half-H circuits used in SSD decoders... the same principles apply to both.

C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im a complete newby and just helping w the slot cars for the first time now as I know most of my knowledge in rc airplanes and drones and not so much here - please help! ... can anyone tell me what this brown round part on the back of the track is called ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts