SlotForum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Joel, raise a question against any of the six proposed areas for discussion and I am sure one of the forum electronics gurus will share some insights. Alternatively if you are something of an expert please jump in with a masterclass… I am happy either way.

Also many of the subjects are well handled in the books I recommended a while back - so if you are up for spending a few quid… some really great reading IMO. And, some of these books will be available through libraries and perhaps second hand bookshops too.

Hope that helps.

c

·
Registered
25 Posts
Apologies for the delay in moving forward with the above plans...

So lets start with:

3/ How MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors) are used to drive SSD track waveforms.

But lets widen to cover the full-H circuits used in SSD powerbases and the half-H circuits used in SSD decoders... the same principles apply to both.

C
Doc

I am looking forwards to reading about the SSD powerbases, we have done some fiddling around with the Sportworld bases and managed to correct/replace MOSFET problems and also a pesky little chip called 3A3 that sits with each MOSFET pair.

Thanks

Barrie

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Just have a look at Ian Hardings old Electric images site 👍, he gives full details of how to build your own base, that way you can read it first hand 🖐..

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ade - great idea - could you share a current link to MIH’s website please?

c

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Use the same one you've used in the past, it worked then 👍

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Plus I don't want to risk copyright ©.. 😉

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Barrie, maybe pick up with Ade directly?

c

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Barrie, maybe pick up with Ade directly?

c
Doc

Did you know that Ade also goes under the alias of Lord Lucan, just joking but he does not accept PM's.

How about you both give us a clue to the URL for Ian Hardings site as Google is stumped as well.

Baz

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Baz, I am not sure if that is the MIH site mentioned by Ade.

Meanwhile I am very sorry but I dont think MIH’s site (which has a similar or identical name) is maintained any longer.

I think it can still be accessed via web archive search sites - but not sure.

If you can reach Ade perhaps he will be able to help - or perhaps someone else can please?

My only link with MIH is that he kindly gave me permission (with help from Rikorocket) to work on a next generation version of In-Car-Pro to follow on from his excellent and enduring v3.3.

In the end it needed upgrading to take account of products more recently launched such as new SSD powerbases and new SSD decoders.

c

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Many thanks MrFlippant - hope Baz you are able to find MIH’s content on powerbases as referenced by Ade. Others may remember better than me - I think MIH showed his own design? and if so, can our collective memory recall the microcontroller type he used?

Meanwhile I will see if I can find any online material on full-H MOSFET driver circuits as used in SSD powerbases and half-H MOSFET driver circuits as used in digital decoders.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi Baz,

This is a very clear introduction to a full-H drive circuit.

Think of the SSD track in place of the motor.. remembering that the full-H drive circuit in a powerbase alternates the voltage direction at predetermined time intervals to generate the zeros and ones which build up into the track data packets.

Does this help?

c

Reactions: Baz

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Until his site went down, it was at:

As mentioned, it's no longer accessible, though might be available through sites like archive.org:

Good on you Greg,

I've found the wayback machine very useful but clunky. Some patience required, but you can usually piece most of the information back together. I suggest taking screenshots as you go because back-tracking can be a little frustrating.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Hi Baz
Just checked, I do accept pm now called Conversations on here as long as your a member , what I don't accept is messages left on my profile feed, looking round at the latter service reveals things that really should not be visible to all 😉

21 - 37 of 37 Posts