SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have been tweaking my layout a bit to avail a bit more of the space available and I am not sure if I will get away with my flyover/underpass...

If you can make sense of my highly technical CAD work (its hard I know) there are 4 different elevation heights red orange yellow green (from highest to lowest respectively) - I am thinking about 12cm (just about 4 scale metres) from each elevation to the next. So thats only an overall of 36 from highest to lowest

My worry is kind of two fold - is the underpass kind of squashed in there? and have i allowed enough for inclines/declines (basicly where where you see a gradual color change[gradient] that indicates an incline/decline)

For the record - I am quite competent at photoshop - I just couldnt figure a simple way of doing this so its bit mcguiver.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I have read to allow 10cm clearance if racing trucks and the like.
The Scalextric overpasses and Dunlop bridge are only 8-9cn clearance as I recall.

I am sure that more knowledgeable people will chime in shortly.

Cheers!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
If there is any chance at all of wanting to run Fly trucks or even the Scalex Land Rover with siren then a minimum clearance of 120 mm is suggested where the roads a actually cross. I've only got 95mm at one overhang and it's quite surprising how things can get wedged there.

Embs

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I assume you are going with plastic?
I would try and keep the inclines/declines on the straights, but that's just me being boring. For the changes you're talking about plastic will not bend easily around the bends, but what do I know? Be aware of trying to keep the camber correct if you do go with bends on the hills.
Good luck, it looks like a fast flowing track.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Scaley track can be successfully bent and twisted into desired shapes and cambers , it is only a matter of using the right technique. (See Tiny Tyers Targa for proof) It is very malleable, which is one of the reasons I like it.

Not so most other brands of plastic track, which are all harder/firmer plastic. Other brands Mau require some application of heat. Don't know.

Embs

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
10cm is a good minimum for an underpass for clearances, especially the Fly Trucks as others have said. If you only have two lanes, then that is also probably enough height to look and reach under for deslotted cars, but it you were going wider, -- say a 3 or 4lane track, then I'd say give it another 2 or 3cm if possible, to make it easier getting human arms under and through the depth of the underpass to reach cars.

For your general elevations, provided it doesn't make it hard for shorter drivers (and kids) to see the cars at the higher/back area, the world is really your oyster.

If using scalextric, you can build the wooden support that goes uner the track in MDF or ply, and progressively crank it up and down with block wedges to see how the view, the fit, the feel of the drive are, and then alter it until you are happy with the elevations and general smoothness of the track pieces.

I even did that with my new routed track - except I couldn't drive it unpainted and unbraided, but I could get a "feel for it" - I went 35cm at top/back of my L shaped track, and wish I had even pushed another 10cm into it to REALLY make the hill limb steep.

Just beware of blind spots created at different parts of the track. Make sure you stand in each driver and marmchalling position and check the views.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
I woud chage the low/high part of the crossover. now there are corners involved and with plastic track you need sturdy support on the outside of the cornering piece. with two straights is easier to get it connected and you can go up and down more smoothly. long low cars will deslot faster in these cornering parts. at least, that was most of the time my problem.

·
Tore
1,694 Posts
Since there is a slight bend before the underpass I would stick to the 120mm height. Fly trucks can get under a 95-100mm overpass but if they lift up on two wheels after the bend they are likely to crash with the bridge.

Nice layout

·
Registered
48 Posts
To keep the elevation from being to high, you could cut the table to allow the lower track to dip a bit.

As others have mentioned you need to give yourself a little extra clearance.

You don't want have the cars just barely making it through.

Tycoarm/Tycosaur

1 - 11 of 11 Posts