SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
at the bolwextric club we are considering a 12hour endurance race.but we really are'nt sure what cars we could use there have been lots of suggestions but these are some of them
Ninco Mercedes clk's
ninco Mclarens
scx lemans
slot.it 956/962
i was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions, bearing in mind that this is a long routed wood circuit, and open wheeled cars over this distance could prove interesting!!!

·
Gary Skipp
6,534 Posts
The Phoenix 24 in the past few years has been run for cars with NC1's fitted. They last and aren't too frantic. I would also recomend the SCX Le Mans cars, surprisingly good non-mag.

The 12hr 'Petit Phoenix' coming up soon will be run to slot-tech rules, any hard body, any plastic chassis, so that'l proove intresting for sure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would go with a Ninco CLK hands down
. It is simply bulletproof. Fine-tune the weighting and go. Keep it on the track and it will go the distance with ease. I'd put it up against anything for long hauls. Also, just lately we have been testing and developing the Ninco angle-winding M3. So far it is proving to be another "race tank", good for long, arduous racing. It runs an NC5 and just claws out of the turns!

Cya!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Ninco CLK, but DTM or GT1?? I assume you mean the GT1. I find most Nincos with the NC-2 size motors to be nearly perfect in weight distribution for non mag running right out of the box. The SCX Domes would be nice because of their awesome lights, I assume you would be runninng at least part of the time in dark conditions. The SCX cars are also well balanced "as is" for non mag running. I haven't got a Slot it Porsche yet
, but I'm sure they would be good.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'd like to sound a note of caution re: any Ninco in-line geared car over an 'endurance' race distance. It is my finding that the standard fitment crown gears of these cars will last approximately 1 - 2 hours of competition running, maybe a little more, sometimes a *lot* less

Reasons? I'm not too sure, but there are three suspects.

1 Material crown gear is made of.
2 Slack standard axle bearings.
3 Harsh braking effect of the long can mabuchi motor (NC2 et al)

Thought you'd like to have the benefit of my 'learning'

-Rob

ps Don't get me wrong! Ninco make most of my favourite cars... M3, Clio, CLKs... but the inline crown gears are a weak point. You might like to ask Matt Tucker (mtucker666) about his Ninco experiences too.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi
i am not sure what tony is planning but i think visiting teams would be a posibility he wants 4, 5 or 6 teams i think!!!! i will suggest it on monday and get back to you
also does anyone have any ideas on how to run such an event? as it is only in its planning stage!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I took part in a 24 hour endurance race last year in London.... CAnt remember which club hosted it....

We ran a GT1 class, We could run any Ninco GT class car or LMP.

Cars totally standard, NC2 or NC3. Tyres not glued on, rear axles, not to be glued. 5 axles supplied, 5 sets of tyres. These had to be bought at the event from the organiser.

Scruntinering. You could have 3 motors, of either NC2 or 3. Each motor type had a max rev limit. Engines could be taped in but not glued. Cars had a minimum weight.

Even our tools were scruitineered????

8 lanes - 3 hour rotations on lanes, 5/6 drivers per team. When not racing, each team had corners to marshal. Failure to attand the marshalling post was a 50 lap penalty.

The team that won it, ran a Minco BMW LMP - never changed an axle, or set of tyres..... believe it or not.

Awesome event with a few table stalls from dealers, track was Ninco supplied by a local hobby store, then used to build one clubs new circuit.

I havent spoken about the circuit yet..... oooo... if only I'd got a picture. Ive never raced on a larger circuit.... awesome....

Cheers
Cools

PS.... the things I forgot to mention first time round...

Piped in music at a low level...... kept the racer awake at 4 am, after your teams mates have all gone to sleep at there marshalling post....
Refreshments and food..... on hand cos theres some hungry slot racers in the early hours of the morning......
Large screen projector, allowing all to see the current race status, laps, penalties etc.
A good group of volenteers who gave time effort and money sometimes to see the event a success.
A great diversity in racers, men, children and few hottie young ladies that whooped my ass out there on the track.

·
Gary Skipp
6,534 Posts
I'd say four people per team for a 12 hour, on a six lane track thats half an hour per lane per driver. Each driver form the teams gets that half hour on each lane, that way everybody races every lane and its all fair.

Another advantage of having four people goes like this:
1 driver, 1 marshal, 1 mechanic and 1 resting. Of course that isn't set in stone and anyoine not driving of course could marshal but generally thats good to go by.

The stuff Cools posted above sounds well harsh on the rules front, If it were up to me then it'd be more relaxed. Just make it slear what isnt allowed and leave everything else to the drivers.

Cars wise, perhaps allow any GT car produced by a given manufacturer(s) with a motor limit of 20,000 rpm. That'll keep things sensible. Up to you about restricitng other things, but I'd leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That was the Eastcote 24hr

The track is absolutely massive... and it's run the same every year, made up specially for the weekend to avoid any home advantage.

There's reasons for the strict rules, but I forget them....

McLaren

PS. CoolScientist: Who are you? I probably met you before, I'm Andy Tomlin btw.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Andy

My names Jim Smalley.... I raced on that day with Julian Edwards, James Carroll, Mark Long, Steve and Gary Long from Molesey. We ran in 6th... suffered terribly with badly aligned gears......

It was my first event where I actualy raced competitavely outside the club. I was amazed at how many people came and took part. It was a great event. It was well organised, and the friendship and helpfullness of everybody was great. I actually went outside for some fresh air at about 2 am... woke up at 6 am, came back in to find we gained a place.... most productive sleep Ive ever had

The rules were really really strict, and for me they had to be... Motors were dyno tested to check motor rpm. They did test every engine offered, and the good news that no engines were thrown out.

All body parts had to be intact when finishing the race. I remmember 1 team taping there rear wing to the car, after only 10 laps as it fell off. 23 hours and 55 mins it ran, taped upside down on the body shell..

If you have rules, then people tend to stick to them..... if you dont, you have a run what u bring which is also cool.

Did the Eastcote 24hour run again this year? I no longer live in London, but its an event worth taking part in.

CoolS

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont think this event was intended as a really serious racing event, i think he was planning it as a fundraiser for a charity event. i am not sure if this is correct but at one point he was going to try for, a bolwextric team, a celebrity team(possibly local radio presenters etc), 2 local club teams, possibly a different celebrity team (if he can get hold of one), a visiting club team (possibly 2 if another celebrity team is not available) and another team that he has yet to think of , possibly a team of people from our area who race at multiple clubs, or if not a "slot car widows" team was muttered

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.