SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I've been Moped with this one. Have I? Whatever, the link speaks for itself:

One Year Landmark

Now I'm a loud voice of discontent with the strength of Margate's bodywork and fittings but this certainly proves the integrity of the underpinnings.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Its a superb achievement.

The car is straight off the shelf selected at random.

The cirumferance of a tyre on a Scalextric Mitsubishi is 66 mm.

The car has travelled a distance in 1 year of 9,700,000 metres or 5950 miles.

One revolution of the wheel required 3.27 revolutions of the motor.

The front and rear tyres and axles have revolved 146,969,696 times and the tyres, bushes and crown are showing little signs of wear.

The motor has revolved 480,590,909 times and the pinion, armature, bearings and carbon brushes are still going strong.

The guide has been replaced every 191,966 laps or every 808 km or 495 miles.

After one year the car is still going strong.

In the average 24 hour marathon race cars will average around 3.5 m per second so a total race distance of 302400 metres is completed or 185 miles.

The Scalextric car has done 32 times that distance but has taken 83 times the length of time to do it.

Those who have competed in a 24 hour marathon race will know what happens to the cars during that type of event.

I think the Scalextric achievement is amazing.

It just goes to show how good off the shelf slot cars are and how lucky we all are to be around during this period of slot car history.

Moped

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE Those who have competed in a 24 hour marathon race will know what happens to the cars during that type of event.
What WOULD be authentically amazing would be if Scalextric cars were regularly winning such events.

Any one of us, given enough time, could probably walk a thousand miles in leisurely strolls but I would hazard a guess that not too many would manage a marathon at speed.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Scalextric could, if they wanted to, create a car at any time that would absolutely slaughter the oposition. Maybe they should.

What is wrong with standing back and letting others such as Slot.It and Fly have the type of track glory that Mecoprop suggests Scalextric should aim for?

And do those type of cars have a mass appeal?

Or a limited appeal?

And are they really appropriate for Scalextric's target market?

The type of test that Scalextric are carrying out here is entirely appropriate for the Scalextric audience which is in the main the younger generation. Note the ballons in the background and the motherly nature of the folk working on the test.

Highly appropriate in my view.

Moped

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I would not be suprised if Scalextric do a racer version of an appropirate car. Other manafacturers concn theur racers Le Mans cars (VMG accepted) so maybe Scaly will do one with the MG Lola.

Ligher body, better motor, pinion, crownwheel with Al wheels etc.

Go on Scaly prove Moped right:

"Scalextric could, if they wanted to, create a car at any time that would absolutely slaughter the oposition. Maybe they should."

Matt

·
Registered
752 Posts
A car that Scalextric could build a 'racer' edition of.....

Hmm... I always rated the Mercedes CLK Le Mans that they had out a couple of years back. It went very well on wooden tracks (and plexi too for that matter), the only issues really, were that it was a little on the heavy side, and the guide wasn't quite up to the job 'out of the box'.

Just think what that would have been like with a lightweight body shell and some nice true running gear.

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Scalextric could, if they wanted to, create a car at any time that would absolutely slaughter the oposition
Let's see actions then, rather than idle boasts.
I completely disagree about target markets and appropriate 'endurance feats'.
If properly publicised and promoted, a high profile win in a real endurance race could achieve in one day what this perambulating stroll is unlikely to achieve in another year of ambling aimlessly around the boring old park.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whilst I agree that the concept of 'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' is probably the strongest argument I do think this feat of Hornby's is a sound one, though unlikely to influence any hereabouts.

As for Tucker's predilections ...

Surely, Slot It make high performance models for hobbiests whereas Scaley makes toys, first and foremost, toys.

There is no comparison. They just both run in a slot.

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE Surely, Slot It make high performance models for hobbyists whereas Scaley makes toys, first and foremost, toys.
I do agree with you on that, Wankel. But I think Scalextric are aiming a little higher these days. I also think that they COULD achieve this and, in doing so, raise their toy presence to higher highs while successfully entering a more specialized market at the same time.
That could not be bad for the brand.
I bet a certain person is frantically mailng Hornby already!

If they tried and failed, then that would not be so good.
"Have they the balls to risk it?", is the difficult question.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Don't try and bully us with your big words - just wish Word 2000 had a thesaurus in built
Now my ponderous mind deliberates and serendipitously chances by the following thoughts:

SCX = toy cars now entering performance market
Fly = shelf queens now firmly established in the performance market
VMG = detailed models trying to establish themselves as a performance brand

Scaly could do no harm for themselves to try to open up that market for themselves either in by prodicuing:
1) an out of the box performance orineted car (w/o mag)
2) hornby branded upgrade parts

I hope they do both.

Note the above summaries of 'toy cars', 'shelf queens' and detailed model' is purely to make a point and only represents part of my opinion of these manafacturers slot cars.

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Of course a marketing 'suit' from Margate, like the alliteration (oops, biggish word
) would say that Scaley already have their 'performance' models in the guise of Sport versions. The rest of us, of course, would laugh to his face.

As a point of order, there is also listed on the Scaley site a Sport Tuning Pack, or some such, for future release. But I thought the jury had decided Sport and it's labels was just badge engineering with nothing serious backing it up.

Personally, I'm no fan of the super quick cars. The little NC-1s were fine and dandy by me. The desire to be heralded as the maker of the fastest model cars just means the fine details now incorporated into each new release just have a shorter life span.

Give me nice detailing and slacken off the pace a tad: a base car with decent magnetless performance and let the hop up merchants do as they will with their aftermarket parts.

There now, solved that dilemma, what about World Peace....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Let the speculation begin.

Why would Scalextric cancel the SPORT tuning pack?

Now that is very, very interesting news.

Big announcement coming up in December.

SPORT tuning pack cancelled.

Work on a new controller ongoing.

Hmmm....

Moped

1 - 20 of 26 Posts