SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new scalextric digital set. My question is, We have a few cars ie: Mustang/Skyline/Aston Martin but they seem a little slow. I saw some bigger motors on ebay, and was just wondering if it is ok to change motors in the cars on the digital track. My local Hobby store said he wouldnt, But then again he never seems to help the customer out.

What do you guys think?

·
Greg Gaub
16,856 Posts
It depends on the size, or rather the speed and therefore the amps, of the motor. SSD chips are cannot reliably power high amp motors without burning out.
You do have some options, though.
1) If you REALLY want faster cars, pick up a slot.it car and a slot.it chip. Those cars are rockets compared to Scaley cars.
2) If you really want to speed up those cars, you can get your chips upgraded through gmyers, who replaces the parts that burn out with ones that can take more abuse.
3) If you don't want to splash out on faster cars or upgraded chips, you can usually get some more pep out of a car by pulling the magnets out. This results in slower cornering speed, but they aren't as bogged down in the straights. Magless racing is also often more challenging and therefore more enjoyable to many people.
4) redesign your layout to be more challenging such that the top speed of the car is never reached, or at least not for long.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bill,I have 30 chipped cars,all a little bit different,some with magnets in pockets in front of chassis and standard tyres, a lot of nascars(inlines)with lowered magnets, silicone tyres a little bit of weight in front,some with no magnets a little weight up front. I wanted another class of four cars that offered something else.Looking on forum its looks like no one has hadproblems cooking chips with motors of rpm of 20,0000...So on this basis I installed scaleauto ball bearing 20.0000 rpm motors into 4 scalextric nissan skylines,magnets in the front pockets and a liitle bit of lead over guide plus new sprung guides.... These are great fun,a little tail happy around corners but predictable,punchy acceleration,and they make a fantastic motor noise a real sense of speed.So far no cooked chips,and I run 4 at a time in some hectic SSDC racing.Hope it helps cheers mikefi

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Changing the motor to a 20k yellow can is great fun and on some cars, like a 4wd with the motor mounted in the front, the performance improvement is quite marked.

I have also used the scaleauto 20k motor but you will also need to buy a pinion gear as well because the shaft is thinner than a scaley one.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I have run 25k Scaleauto (yellow can) motors in my Scaly DBR9s MC12 and XKR for several years now with standard Scaly chips with no problems. Another alternative is upgrade your power supply to an aftermarket adjustable one, you would probably see a marked improvement straight away and would not have to wind the voltage up much to see a significant change.
brembo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys! I will be buying a 20k motor here very soon and see what happens. As far as the Aftermarket Power Supply goes, Where do I find one of those. Again as my name states "I'm still a Newbie"

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Hi Bill
Re the link below
This is a probably at the top end of what is required by digital racers, 25amp switched mode power supply with adjustable voltage, used by ham radio enthusiasts. Typically 8-10 amps output will be plenty.
Check out the threads on power supplies in the digital section of this forum for more info

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Display-SPS-...=item56441eae69

Regards
brembo

·
Digital Guru
11,396 Posts
hi
to make the cars reliable with the high rpm motors you need to get the chips modified by Gmyers.

You can use upto 25k rpm motors if you use a slot it chip above that Gregs chips are needed realy especially if the car is run with mags.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (Bill_D @ 15 May 2011, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you, So if I had bought that, Could I jump to a 26k-30k motor?Scalex chips will usually do 20-22k at most (i have one 22.5k motor running fine with a scalex chip, but in a very light car.)
Higher speed motors, or motors in heavy/magnet cars, will pull too much current, and blow the chips, my one experiment with a heavyish, magnet laden car with a 25k motor led to no more than some smoking and a stationary car......

Some variation in chips/cars/motors/tracks means you may get away with hotter motors, but i wouldn't count on it.

Its the chips that are the limit to motor size, not the power pack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A modded scaly chip will increase the performance of any motor. A standard scaly motor with a modded chip will push a 20,500 rpm slot.it motor with a standard slot.it chip around the track. The lower reverse voltage of the diodes allows more power to get to the motor. Less expensive than buying new motors also. A modded chip also allows higher rpm motors to run without failing.

Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone mod a chip. I installed a saloon chip in a car, ran it on a digital track ran great. Then ran that car on analog and noticed it was not keeping up with the other cars. At my friends house I removed the chip and turned it back into analog. lap times were unbelievable. has any one noticed this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.