Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for a device that could reproduce the motor noice. It
will give more realistic sensation to my scalextrics slot circuit.

Does anybody have a clue for this issue ? I have found nothing yet.
Thanks in advance for any informations

Frédéric

(it does exist for train models, but it is not relevant for Formula1 motor music !!)

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Carrera did this in their cars for awhile back in the 70s/80s, thomas will know more.
On a more recent level, carrera make boxes for their cars that had electronic racing sounds but they are not great and finding one that hasn't been run down by children playing with them in the shop is hard.

To date, since the resurgence of the Hobby, no one that I know of has looked seriously into sounds within cars, thoughI am happy to be proved wrong. Even though that side of things would not be for me.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
It would be great to have a device that monitored the current taken by the cars and gave the appropriate revs, like in playstation games, and a few selectable engine types to suit the type of car you were driving. Since it was monitoring current, it could have a fuel gauge to, and maybe cut the power if you ran out before having a pit stop...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yeah,

on the strights make noise brrrrrrrrraaaaap
when you brake go pttttssshhhhhhhhhhhhh

then when you crash it's - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk crash.. oh bugger!

sorted and cost you nothing

Rob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for Rob's knowledge, I am following his tips when I am in driving my own car in town, as it is too silent(!...),
but when I am slot racing with other friends, I am too shy make those noises....

Just have a look, "an hear" to this site:

http://www.hbonline.com/slotcars.htm, and you might unsderstand the realistic effect of a motor noise similation can bring.
It does exist with train, and those who are found of train model can hardly imagine such model without the smoke engine noise simulation. They are more advanced than slot car players.

It brings another scope of realistic.
So my question is devoted to slot car people who are seeking more realism and who might help to find some solution in this direction.

Fred

·
Registered
773 Posts
Fred, I've some trains - with sound and smoke
- and I love them - but if you're racing slotcars the sound of engines is disturbing. As Swiss mentioned - I have some experience with the sound-module Carrera offered in the past - it's been a nice gimmick, but switched off after some races. And for that it's to expensive! The module has been connected to controller and track and changed sound / shifting gears up and made braking noise - but in an unacceptable low quality. I don't know if there is something better available today - the only engine sound I know is the Diesel-sound for RC-trucks.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Didn't Scalextric Hornby make various sound devices.

Twin Auto Screams
Hand controllers with Sound
Sound box

I have all of the above, i know it's sad, but they are part of my collection.

None of them are any good (at best) mainly they [email protected]!

Would suggest you spend your hard cash on buying another slot car and making the noises in your head!

Jexy1

·
Registered
714 Posts
I suppose the advent of digital control MIGHT allow the possibility of emulation of synchronized engine sounds, but it would take incredible programming skill to fill in up and down gear changes for varying rpm when the slot car enjoys just a single fixed ratio. For racing purposes, I would far rather listen to the real sound of the model car so that I knew what it was really doing. Without absolutely perfect synchronization, I am sure that the emulated sounds would actually make most anyone drive much worse and crash more due to being misled by the wrong noises.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Fred

That game is great i have just waisted far to much time playing it

As for the sounds i rather like the idea but i think i'd have to try it first

I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one to make the sounds of my cars racing in my head

Wayneslot

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Oh how could i forget!

If you really wanted to be sad you could play the Scalextric 33 1/3 LP record 'ROAR' (if anyone still has a record player?).

It has recorded sounds of real cars on one side and motorbikes on the other!

Maybe it will released in a sports form for the new Motorbikes!

Jexy1

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE They are more advanced than slot car players

they may well be more advanced than our chairman, but were racers.. therefore more advanced! imagine racing trains!

and number 979685486 comes into kings cross just 3 seconds before 56765386 the passengers are boarding theres less on the 56765386 and it's go go go from the station, theres only a second in it now with another 30 thousand stops to go, this could be the most interesting race we have evzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzz zzzzz z

uh oh I've missed some! oh no I havnt their half way to fenchurch street

Rob.

·
Registered
773 Posts

go on 99 4043 - just four stations more to reach *tschuuut*

Excellent description Rob! No sound except the singing gears and the engine, rattling bodies - and the swearing and shouting of other racers and marshals...

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Tsch, tsch, tsch. Google, smoogle.

You don't want to do that.

You want to do this.

Go to my links page, the clue here is in my signature, click "Weirdness" and click the link there. As you can see from the "Most Popular" section it is... well, the most popular link I have, with 420 hits so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts