SlotForum banner

Equivalency Formulas

703 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gareth 
#1 ·
There has been as equivalency formula in open wheel at EAHORC for a couple of years now, do you think there should be something similar in the afternoon classes, for instance should SG+ be allowed Lexan bodies in NASCAR to stop the LifeLike domination of the class?

This thread is not to try and get Deane to change rules but merely to promote discussion.

#3 ·
I don't run in Nascar any more, but with the rules as they are I could build a SG+ that would be faster and more robust that the one I ran in 2010 and was very close to Roy's very quick championship-winning Life Like.

The basics are the older grey '2 dot' traction mags, .250" OD rear wheels and tyres that suit - from .418" to .430". I go a bit higher than most people.

The JL Chevy body is a good racing body and can now have an integral clip. Using Bud's SG+ clip would give you a less fragile set-up than with the stock clip.

As for internals, if you have 2 or 3 SG+ chassis, matching the motor mags would be sensible. The compass and graph paper method is accurate and cheap. Pick the best arm you've got and run it in really well. One of the advantages of the SG+ over the LL is that once it's on song it stays there.

And, as Jon said, using smaller front wheels and tires is good for front end control. BSRT shoes are a good upgrade that we use in WHO Nascar. I've not tried a G3 guide pin, but that might also get the car to stick at the front too.

Like with the Tyco in F1, building a SG+ to win in Nascar takes time and skill - but it's possible. However, running a Mega-G in F1 or Life Like in Nascar is going to be the sensible or safe option. Same with a MR-1 in Mod or a G3 in Pro.

The fact that some of us choose to run 'difficult' options makes things interesting and one of the things that makes HO interesting for me

But I'm not about to argue that Wizzard runners should have a parts advantage over G3s - I want to prove the Storm can win on its own merits. Maybe not this weekend, but one day...

#4 ·
As Andy said above the SG+ is competitive in Nascar. Even on my first couple of races at EAHORC I was coming 3rd overall in Nascar with an SG+ and I beat Roy, Deane and others at different races. My car had double flange .250 hubs, BSRT front wheels and the Johnny Lightning body but I hadn't part sorted the best armature, motor magnets or traction mags....or chassis for that matter!

I reckon if I put a bit more time and effort into it I could get a very competitive SG+ in Nascar again and potentially go for a win as well.

Of course that all has to wait now but it is definitely feasible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.