SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These arrived in the post last week. They will alas be tucked away for a while whilst more pressing matters are attended to. Far too many unfinished projects!

Austin 7 Twin cam. I reckon this will be highly popular. It (just) takes a slimline motor mounted sideways. There is no chassis as such.

Talbot Lago. I was going to buy the Ghost one, not now...

ERA, last but not least. It should be my favourite, but I really can't make up my mind which I like best.

It seems the next release (due shortly) is to be a Ferrari 246 GP.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
George is one of the few people who get something just right and still have some soul in it. He's been doing this for donkey's years. I still say his 1/43rd Cheetah was the best model in that scale ever (apart from mine, of course
).

My only small criticism is that his louvres, whilst beautiful, are a little heavy, but that's nit-picking.

Nice work George, good to know there's still something good coming out of Southend!

Martin

·
Philip Insull
1,793 Posts
George does some of the finest kits available at the moment - I have built these 3 and featured them in the NSCC magazine but sadly I no longer seem to be able to upload images to my SF albums so can't put them on here.

They are cracking kits though

Cheers
phil

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I love the ERA and the little Austin, and I'm hoping to order an A35 this week.
Best of all, I see he says he's working on a JAGUAR MK7, which is a car I've wanted for a few years now and I made some plans a few weeks ago and bought some wood thinkng of carving one but now I don't have to because he's doing one which will be miles better than anything I could do anyway. Great!
I even like his boat models for flips sake.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Those are the bee's knees! Simply gorgeous!

I have his Falcon (Thank you, Phil!!!) and it is simply the best resin I've ever seen. It isn't just his casting, it is his ability to master things so incredibly well. The master must have been a jewel.

I'll be building that shortly and may have to come back for more of his offerings like these.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (mini zzr1100 @ 18 Jul 2011, 16:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>are these available as a complete kit? or just the body. id love to build some as these are one my favourite type of car.

The kits all come with a basic chassis. Thus motor, gears, axles, wheel and tyres, magnet (?) and guide must be found. The website suggests that George uses Slot-it parts.

QUOTE (boggy marshall @ 18 Jul 2011, 17:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
Just checked out Georges site and cant find any of these, are they new additions?
Cheers
Boggy

These are indeed new. I only heard of them from a friend who saw them at Gaydon.

Peter.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
A couple of pictures of a little progress, there is no intention of a build thread. Here is the Talbot Lago in its' present state, almost there, a few jobs on chassis and body and it is all but done.

Yes, the wheels are wrong, the correct ones should be available wwithin a couple of months.

Both ERA and Austin are also making progress, the ERA with detail mods as per Romulus 1939 and the Austin 'as supplied'.

Peter.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A spot of progress on the ERA.

The intention is to finish this car as Remus as raced at Brooklands in 1936. Written historysuggests that the wheels were yellow, though the only picture I have (black and white of course) suggsts they may have been blue. They are yellow now, but may be changed.

A Brooklands exhaust must be made, a bit more detailing required here and there and the guide needs to be installed.

The tyres are Scalextric Sharknose, the wheels of course are home brewed.

A bit more on the Austin soon.

Peter.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I have some of George's kits waiting to be made up. The slick fit-lines and overall quality is perfect. There's loads more detail than Racer resin kits and they make other resin kit manufacturer's stock look a total ripoff for the prices they charge for what the kits are.

George Turner deserves an OBE for slotcar services above and beyond the call of duty!

Yours look great!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I whole-heartedly agree. Recently got his Falcon and ERA. Unbelievable quality.

Took the Falcon to the club Thursday, and people were just standing staring at it in reverence !!.

Worth every penny.

vbr Chris A.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At last a little more to show.

I actually have two Austin Twin Cams on the go, one with the standard motor set up, and one with my own.

My own set up uses a brass chassis made basically of surrounds for 16 thou etched brass frets. This is made to take the small flat Mabuchi similar to those found in HO slot cars. The motor is front mounted and awaits a drive shaft and pinion support. The four screws support the rear motor mount, which doubles as a chassis stiffener.

The guide mount is pretty standard, though a couple of millimetres have been taken off to let the car sit low enough.

As standard, this car does not have a chassis, with the slimline motor pretty well taking up all of the body space. The car body is just 90mm long and 12mm wide. The picture below illustrates. Yes Marlon, it is one of your motors....
The pinion will of course have to be abbreviated.

The front axle is tubular and made of brass, the top hat sleeves at each end are also of brass, the brake backplates are in stainless steel. This was my first bash at soldering stainless, it worked out quite well. With all of the steering/axle detail included in the kit, it seemed a pity not to make an effort.

The wheels are close representations of the originals, albeit somewhat wider to allow easier tyre selection, in this case, those from G.P.Miniatures.

Both front and rear wheels have etched brake drums. The holes on the originals are very obvious, and since I was having spokes and backplates done, it seemed sensible to have drums done too. Front drums are larger than the rears.

These are proving to be lovely models to build, and I keenly await the Alfetta 158/159.

Peter.

·
re member
4,183 Posts
Lovely models Peter,and great work .
The Austins have something special.

I was reminded of an Austin racer I saw in a "Model Cars" mag back in the sixties.
This car won a concours class at a national event.I think it only needed to complete one lap to qualify.
It was the same car as yours but incredibly intricate and detailed.
From memory the bonnet was removable revealing engine detail.

Does any other old slotter remember this car?

regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts