SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So happy days for me, The last instalment of my track arrived this week from Jadlam and so did my first ever 'non - scalextric brand' cars - 962C and 956KH slot.it porches.

First impressions - wow - beautiful cars to look at and drive

BUT on track I am worried - they seem kind of large for close racing especially with no mags - we had a demo run last night and there were a few mid corner collision deslots due to the arse hanging out.

This is a bit disappointing - looks like I'll be keeping mags in the centre/forward position to minimise damage

Any similar experiences? obvious solutions? would be interested to hear.

thanks

·
David J
3,182 Posts
My advice would be "Don't drive with your arse hanging out".

I suppose you'll just have to learn to leave a little distance and go for the overtake on the straights, much better than leaving the magnet in. I understand why you want to keep you new cars damage free though. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (DJ @ 25 Jan 2012, 15:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>much better than leaving the magnet in

Its true - I wondered what all the fuss was about until I tried it. Certainly much more rewarding

Now, Just to decide on some controllers...

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
On any home racing layout, Slot.Its have to be pointing straight before you give them throttle or you just squander time going sideways. That's how they handle even with the mag in.

Basically your approach speeds to a corner are going to be higher, magnetic grip is lower and, on Scalex track, the standard tyres don't bite too well either.

That said, even on wide, abrasive Ninco track at our club you still get a fair bit of paint traded in the twisty bits!

They're just completely different to the Scalex cars you've been running- and as a result you just need time to get a real feel for how they run... but once mastered they're addictive!

·
David Collins
2,365 Posts
They are really no larger than Scalex sports prototype models, but you have to realise the standard motor is significantly more powerful, with quite a lot less magnetic downforce. But the tuning possiblities are terrific - particularly if you take the magnets out - they are definitely worth persevering with!

David

·
Registered
551 Posts
I found that most slot.its had little grip with the standard tyres (although cars released since 2010 (I think) have better quality grippier tyres as standard and grip quite well), so the best way to enjoy them is to get aftermarket rear tyres for them. I tend to use urethane rears (mostly from a Canadian guy on ebay called Paul Gage) or the slot.it F15 rubber tyres (which are very soft and grippy). The extra grip transforms them I find and you end up with a car that is almost as quick as if it was stuck down by magnets but which is much more satisfying to drive.

Here in Dublin we race slot.its quite a lot (among many other types of car) and most of us now have urethane rear tyres on them and find they go really well.

Your Porsches might have a set of tyres underneath the base included. These are silicone tyres which also work well on scalextric track as they are very grippy. However I believe they need the track to be very clean otherwise they pick up all the dust after a few laps and the grip is gone.

In addition, supposedly using silicone tyres ruins the grip for rubber/urethane tyres as they tend to pick up all the bits of rubber laid down on the track after time (the rubber laid down over time makes the track grippier). Hence many clubs/tracks do not allow silicone tyres to be used or keep the track exclusively for silicones, but not both (rubber and silicone).

·
Registered
985 Posts
I run 962 and 956's slot it on my scaley track. Because it is small and I use digital chips I drop the power by fitting a scaley motor. However two things. I use P6 slot it tyres and they do give better grip. Almost certainly if your arse is hanging out you are way off best lap times. To get good lap times you need to be almost no drift even magless. Drive it fast and well you can overtake even on a std R1. What it means is you need to learn to drive better! ;-).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts